Booked Jewel yesterday and leave on 15th! AHHHHH I have questions! Seattle RT Alaska

RN7997

Hi everyone. I am sorry if my questions are redundant BUT I have a very limited time to plan so your help is appreciated. I am usually a HUGE planner so to unexpectantly have an opportunity to book a cruise and leave in 2 weeks is GREAt but stressful in planning. I have cruised before but not with Norweign and this is my 1st Alaskan (and non tropical) cruise.

We will visit Kichikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. I goggled the weather for each port and seems it will be mid 60's-70s during the day with chances of rain. I am traveling with my hubby and our 2 teen boys.

Questions:

1) I get packing in layers. I am from PA where it is hot and humid now....do you think I should pack some shorts for this trip?

2) Bathing suits? On this trip are the pools open and being used? Are they heated on the Jewel?

3) How many formal nights does the Jewel have? Is there a lobster night? Dress code same as Royal Caribbean?

4) Are you allowed to bring any drinks onboard? What drinks are included? My hubby and I got the unlimited beverage package included with our stay. I like to keep bottled water in my room. Can I carry that on?

4) We are in a balcony guarantee......anyone ever get upgraded in this category?

5) Ports: SOOOOO many options and it is confusing.

Kichikan: We don't eat fish so not interested in fishing. Would be neat to see the salmon jumping though. Where can we do that? Is the lumber jack show something we can just show up for an pay for there or need to prebook? Is there a vendor besides the cruise line?

Juneau: I know our ship shows it sailed by Sawyer glacier. I was interested in doing the all day tour with Adventure Bound but I am not sure if that is possible because of the way the ship sails by it? Would the non ship sponsored tour take us to where the ship had moved to? Or should I do something during port time and then take the add on to go there?????? Seems like a lot of $ through the ship to sail ahead vs the all day tour Adventure bound offers? Any other suggestions welcomed. I hear about Mendenhall Glacier too? Is it possible to do both of these.....confused by this port. I am willing to spend some $$ at this port as this seems like it will be the neatest port IMO. I don't want to miss anything!

Skagway: Hubby saw the rail train on TV before and looks really neat. Haven't had a minute to research other things yet but I am sure we will do that. Vendors? I prefer to do things with local vendors vs through the ship unless necessary. Any other suggestions?

Victoria: No idea yet.....seems like we are there late in day for an evening visit...ideas here?

Also I will have all day Friday in Seattle any suggestions on places to stay, eat or something to see? My hubby has a work thing that day so something that a teen boy would also enjoy would be great!

Any tips for Seattle port or getting to the port from the hotel? How far from port is the airport....we have an 1130am flight home departure day.

Thank you in advance for letting me brain dump my questions!! I appreciate your help in advance!

I sailed this time last year and wore shorts every day.

Pools are heated on the Jewel.

No formal night but they do have a dress up or not night. One dining room is very informal on all nights.

Its around a 30 minute trip to and from the airport. We booked with Seattle Express.

In Seattle visit Pike's Market and the Space Needle.

They have very reasonable transportation to Mendenhall Glacier right off the pier. A few miles upriver from the ship is a salmon fishery which was interesting. This is in Juneau and the fish were jumping.

Edited by runner15km

I can answer some of your questions:

(1) Seattle and the Pacific Northwest is experiencing one of the hottest summers on record. Bring hats and sunscreen.

(2) Because of the popularity of the White Horse Train from Skagway, I would book this as soon as you board the ship in Seattle.

(3) Being mid August, you might not see a lot of wild life. Keep your eyes peeled to see eagles nested high in the trees.

Have a great trip and enjoy. The Jewel is a wonderful ship with a great staff.

I'll add that Ketchikan is a very walkable and I loved the town. We went to Totem Bight state park with a ship sponsored tour and really enjoyed that and then had plenty of time to explore the town. We sailed right up too Sawyer Glacier. The ship then did a turn around. No matter which side you are on you saw all of it. Beautiful place. In Juneau we took the ship sponsored tour to Mendenhall Glacier. Don't do this. Catch one of the buses and go on your own. Lots to see and do there and not near enough time on the ship excursion. We also went up on the Mount Roberts lift and enjoyed that. Skagway we took the train excursion with Chilkoot excursion company. They are fantastic and have several different trips to choose from. You have to book ahead though. We had a whole car just for our group and it was great. Victoria we did a DIY and just walked into town and explored. We were also on the Jewel last September. Loved the ship! Enjoy your cruise and Alaska! I would go back to Alaska in a heartbeat if I could.

We've done Alaska twice. Once warm and sunny, next time cool, drizzly, low clouds. You just don't know what Alaska is going to be. I also Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau as an inexpensive and interesting visit, not far out of town. Tracy's Crab Shack is great for King Crab and crab bisque. Pricy, but about half the price of the other restaurants. They have a web site. We did the train in Skagway. Interesting, but a bit pricey also. However, I do recommend it. Victoria, Buchart Gardens is fantastic, both how it happened and all the flowers. They have a web site. Also, the bus out and back gives a brief tour of the town. Ketchikan is good to walk around (one of the rain capitals of the world though). The Ducks tour is a inexpensive and fun tour of town and down into the harbor water. The tour guides try to be stand up comics and were pretty funny I thought. A few guests thought it was "silly". Usually eagles sitting around by the water. The Jewel is a great ship, wonderful crew. We like the Spinnaker lounge deck 13 forward, the Jewel buffet is an excellent one, the Great Outdoors rear deck 12 is great for breakfast and snacks during the day. Go all the way forward port side deck 11 and there is a bridge viewing room. You can't go wrong with an Alaska tour regardless. From the first morning on, beautiful scenery, some of it close by.

And yes, you can bring on bottled water. However, the ship's water is excellent also. You can bring on soft drinks also, just no alcoholic drinks. You can bring on wine for a $15 per bottle fee. Some folks just bring on a few bottles and then refill. No more lobster nights...however, they weren't much to brag about anyhow.

I can't say much about Alaska - I'm still waiting for my first cruise there, booked but not until next summer - however, I can tell you that a teenage boy (or girl) might enjoy spending some time at the Science Fiction museum and Experience Music Project in Seattle. (It's the copper building in the Windows 7 architecture theme - really neat both inside and out.) My former bf and I spend a lovely afternoon there last time we were in Seattle, then walked over to the Space Needle and got up to the top in plenty of time to enjoy the sights (tons of pictures) then grab a glass of wine and a table to watch the sunset.

It's a good thing we remained close friends after we broke up, because that is one of my favorite travel memories of all times.

Thank you everyone! I booked the Tracys arm add on so we got that accomplished! Really glad they had room yet. I am sort of feeling like I am missing out by not doing a whale tour but I refuse to do 2 tours that are sooooo expensive in a day for 4 of us. I think Mendenhall by shuttle and lunch at Tracys Crab shack before our tour sounds perfect! I booked tracys arm bc of the rave reviews....I know the ship sails by and turns around. I hope that is worth the $$$$ it costs?

For Skagway I was all Railway then I read reviews about Emerald Lake, huskies, bear sitings, and photo opps with the bus tours. The bus tour that seems to appeal most to me so far is Trail of 98 Tours.....anyone familiar? Only issue is there is not an option for the railway at all AND the price is for the 14 person bus so Id have to find people to go with us (Wednesday Aug 19th) if I went with them. I see Chilkhoot charters offers a pretty rounded tour to Yukon rail, bus, emerald lake and time with the huskies. This may be a REALLY Dumb question but I assume the Scenic pass and Yukon railway are the same train?

Thank you everyone! I booked the Tracys arm add on so we got that accomplished! Really glad they had room yet. I am sort of feeling like I am missing out by not doing a whale tour but I refuse to do 2 tours that are sooooo expensive in a day for 4 of us. I think Mendenhall by shuttle and lunch at Tracys Crab shack before our tour sounds perfect! I booked tracys arm bc of the rave reviews....I know the ship sails by and turns around. I hope that is worth the $$$$ it costs?

For Skagway I was all Railway then I read reviews about Emerald Lake, huskies, bear sitings, and photo opps with the bus tours. The bus tour that seems to appeal most to me so far is Trail of 98 Tours.....anyone familiar? Only issue is there is not an option for the railway at all AND the price is for the 14 person bus so Id have to find people to go with us (Wednesday Aug 19th) if I went with them. I see Chilkhoot charters offers a pretty rounded tour to Yukon rail, bus, emerald lake and time with the huskies. This may be a REALLY Dumb question but I assume the Scenic pass and Yukon railway are the same train?

Scenic Pass may be a bus trip up Klondike Highway, not including the train. We booked with Chilkoot for the train one way and the bus back. Everyone else is giving you good options...you can skim my review here for more about the ports. (We were on NCL Pearl, obviously, so ports were in a different order, and went to Glacier Bay instead of Sawyer, but much of it applies.)

Relax and have fun. Most of these ports will allow you to be pretty spontaneous if you don't have specific "must-do" excursions, and a LOT of it is walkable.

Take shorts & a bathing suit. It was 80 + at times on our cruise. rain gear of some sort is also a good idea.

Don't be sad about missing the whale watching. We say more from the cruise ship than the people who paid for the excursion, including one breaching right outside our window on deck 5:D

Take shorts & a bathing suit. It was 80 + at times on our cruise. rain gear of some sort is also a good idea.

Don't be sad about missing the whale watching. We say more from the cruise ship than the people who paid for the excursion, including one breaching right outside our window on deck 5:D

Oh I like the sounds of 80! Being able to see all of this and sit by the pool with a cocktail would be amazing!!!! Soooo good to hear about the whales.....I am just torn on some of these things. I certainly hope the $209pp rate for the 4 of us for Tracys arm was the way to go??

Great tip on the binoculars!!!! Good to know cruising wish I will stay excited about that then. As for rain gear are disposable ponchos and umbrellas over our clothes sufficient you think? We don't have "windbreakers" so Id have to go purchase something to take.

Oh I like the sounds of 80! Being able to see all of this and sit by the pool with a cocktail would be amazing!!!! Soooo good to hear about the whales.....I am just torn on some of these things. I certainly hope the $209pp rate for the 4 of us for Tracys arm was the way to go??

If you booked the right tour through NCL you will not loose any time in Juneau. So I would do Mendenhall Glacier using the White or Blue bus.

The small boat leaves before the Jewel and beats it down to Tracy Arm - there you get to explore some of the waterfalls and coves up close. You will also travel up a small arm to see North Sawyer Glacier and then continue on to South Sawyer Glacier where you will probably be able to sit in front of it for several minutes - about 1/2mi back. then the Jewel will catch up with the small boat and you will transfer back to her for the trip out. It is well worth the trip.

In Skagway there is only one train - the White Pass and Yukon. You can book three different rides. One way to Carcross (often called the Bennett Scenic Tour) with a bus return (via Emerald Lake) to Skagway, One way to Fraser (either to or from Skagway) with bus either to Carcross or back to Skagway, and finally the Roundtrip Summit - the train goes to the summit and back to Skagway. I would suggest that you review your port time - the Jewel likes to leave as early as possible as they have a long trip down to Victoria (note they recently reduced the amount of time in Victoria). I also recommend Chilkoot for anything but the RT Summit which you can book through NCL.

Hi everyone. I am sorry if my questions are redundant BUT I have a very limited time to plan so your help is appreciated. I am usually a HUGE planner so to unexpectantly have an opportunity to book a cruise and leave in 2 weeks is GREAt but stressful in planning. I have cruised before but not with Norweign and this is my 1st Alaskan (and non tropical) cruise.

Kichikan: We don't eat fish so not interested in fishing. Would be neat to see the salmon jumping though. Where can we do that? Is the lumber jack show something we can just show up for an pay for there or need to prebook? Is there a vendor besides the cruise line?

Juneau: I know our ship shows it sailed by Sawyer glacier. I was interested in doing the all day tour with Adventure Bound but I am not sure if that is possible because of the way the ship sails by it? Would the non ship sponsored tour take us to where the ship had moved to? Or should I do something during port time and then take the add on to go there?????? Seems like a lot of $ through the ship to sail ahead vs the all day tour Adventure bound offers? Any other suggestions welcomed. I hear about Mendenhall Glacier too? Is it possible to do both of these.....confused by this port. I am willing to spend some $$ at this port as this seems like it will be the neatest port IMO. I don't want to miss anything!

Skagway: Hubby saw the rail train on TV before and looks really neat. Haven't had a minute to research other things yet but I am sure we will do that. Vendors? I prefer to do things with local vendors vs through the ship unless necessary. Any other suggestions?

Hi Chrissy

I'm not on your trip but went to some of your ports last year. If your click the Alaska/Canadian Rockies playlist link in my signature below you'll see the vids I made at Juneau (Whale watch and Mendenhall), Skagway (White Pass and Yukon Rail and bus with Chilkoot Charters) and Ketchikan (just walked around, and saw the salmon jumping up the ladder). All the best, Tony

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

We will visit Kichikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. I goggled the weather for each port and seems it will be mid 60's-70s during the day with chances of rain. I am traveling with my hubby and our 2 teen boys.

Questions:

1) I get packing in layers. I am from PA where it is hot and humid now....do you think I should pack some shorts for this trip?

2) Bathing suits? On this trip are the pools open and being used? Are they heated on the Jewel?

3) How many formal nights does the Jewel have? Is there a lobster night? Dress code same as Royal Caribbean?

4) Are you allowed to bring any drinks onboard? What drinks are included? My hubby and I got the unlimited beverage package included with our stay. I like to keep bottled water in my room. Can I carry that on?

4) We are in a balcony guarantee......anyone ever get upgraded in this category?

Victoria: No idea yet.....seems like we are there late in day for an evening visit...ideas here?

Also I will have all day Friday in Seattle any suggestions on places to stay, eat or something to see? My hubby has a work thing that day so something that a teen boy would also enjoy would be great!

Any tips for Seattle port or getting to the port from the hotel? How far from port is the airport....we have an 1130am flight home departure day.

Thank you in advance for letting me brain dump my questions!! I appreciate your help in advance!

1) Absolutely. It gets really warm in southeast Alaska in July and August. Like almost 80 sometimes. Bring some warm stuff and rain gear but expect it to be warm and in some areas kind of humid hecause after all, much of it is rainforest. However weather can change on a dime too so you can have some damp and rainy/foggy/cloudy days.

2) At least one of the pools us heated but not all the time. When it is heated it's almost like bathwater though. Almost as warm as the hot tub. They get a decent amount of use and I went in quite often when I sailed in May.

3) No lobster night that I saw but totally freestyle dress code in dining room. I only went to the mdr rwice and honestly it was disappointing in terms of atmosphere, service and to a degree, food quality. Their buffet is really excellent though and a lot less hassle than mdr. And I am a huge fan of sitdown dining on cruises. Having only been on royal once, I can't really compare it but compared to Carnival it is way more laid back.

4) I think you can bring a case of soda on with you but I didn't try myself as I wasn't able to work out the logistics of buying soda the day before due to no stores near the hotel I was at. I just found it easier to get the beverage package once onboard. $75 is a pretty fair price for unlimited soft drinks and juice.

5) We booked a balcony guarantee also and I'm not sure but I don't think they like upgrading people within category or into another category - it seems if there's a big price change they would rather give obc or beverage or dining packages for free instead. Just my experience though.

Ports.

In Ketchikan you can go up into the mountains a little and watch them spawn like crazy in the creek that runs through the residential part of town. I was told that in the immediate port area they jump around some. When we took a duckboat tour we saw that. We also went to the lumberjack show and you can buy tickets there but it could sell out so that's a concern. This is still spawning season though and what I mentioned was just what we were told as there are no salmon swimming around in may yet.

In Juneau there is plenty to do but if you want to book a tour to mendenhall glacier it will cost quite a bit I think. You can always arrange a private excursion to see it and yes it is worth it to see. The ship is there late so plenty of time to see what you want to see at the glaciers. They are far from town though, keep that in mind. But since I had seen that the first time I went there years ago I stayed around town and did sightseeing, ate local seafood and went gold panning up in the mountains. There is plenty to do also, like the mount Roberts tramway and just walking tours. Also seaplane and helicopter tours if that's your thing.

In skagway the train is a must. I did a review of the experience, check it out sometime. It is pricey but well worth it and it can be booked right at the dock with the train company. Skagway is small though so if you're not into nature hikes and stuff the trajn is something you definitely should do.

In Victoria you can take city tours, just hang out downtown and eat/shop or take architecture or seaplane tours. It is more of a functioning city with all kinds of things that make up the economy, a little different than the other ports. You can find something to do there for sure.

I can't say much about places to go for dining in Seattle, we got meals at our hotel. We stayed at the executel, not far from the airport and took Seattle express shuttle back and forth from the pier. Reasonably priced and good service. Hotel and shuttle popular with cruisers there and I wouod recommend both. You should have no problem with making an 1130 flight home as it is only a half hour ride from airport to cruise port.

Hope this all helps and enjoy your cruise!

Did this itinerary on the Jewel last year.

The week before we cruised, it was in the high 70's and sunny the entire time. We had foggy, cloudy, lots of rainy and cold days. :) So be prepared. I was in a sweatshirt, jeans and rain jacket in every port except Victoria. But I also didn't get off in Victoria, haha.

I did wear shorts around the ship frequently.

When I sat on the deck, by the pool to read my book, I was in a sweatshirt and shorts but wrapped about three pool towels around myself. And this is from a person from Washington who gets excited about shorts at 60 degrees. :)

That being said, I hope you get the warm sunny weather!!!

I brought on a case of water, pop and some Starbucks bottles.

Go to Pike's Place Market in Seattle and then make sure you see the gum wall. The older kids will think it is interesting.

Thank you ALL so much for your help and time in replying! I am narrowing this down a bit!

Kitchikan: Might just wing it, take shuttle to see poles, salmon, and lumberjack show. (just need to decide if I want to prebook tix for lumberjack or wait till Im there...are they cheaper direct vs the $35 pp through the ship?)

Juneau: we are only in port 7am-130pm and then the ship sails past Sawyer Glacier. I have the small boat Tracys Arm add on booked as of us but we also really want to see the whales. After reading multiple posts and speaking to my family I am thinking I will cancel Tracy's arm and book a whale tour. (I have an email out to Harv and Merv to check availability). The small boat is $209pp and the whales are apprx $150pp from what I can gather. With a family of 4 I think if we do the whales and sail past the Glacier at least we will get BOTH (although I am sure the perspective is not the same).

Skagway: I have read that on a really foggy day there is not much to be seen from the train. I was debating between a few companies vs skipping train and renting a car. I opted not to do the car so that we can hear what the guides say and learn the history. I booked with Daye Dave. The tour is the same as others and it gives me the flexibility to book the trail one way on site. If the day is too foggy to see on train then I am not out the cash.

Victoria: We are only there 5-midnight......I haven't looked into this one much yet. I heard gardens and did I read there are fireworks in the area there???

Seattle I have not gotten to yet....whew this has been alot to take on in a short time. I am so grateful to this board and everyone who has helped me.