LAX to Sydney - 12/16/15 - questions

yhh

Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing our tickets (myself, my mother, and three kids - 10, 8 & 7). We want to leave LA on the 16th so we can do some sightseeing, before we board the Diamond Princess leaving on the 21st.

I keep seeing these airlines as the most affordable. This is the order I keep seeing them in: China Eastern Airlines, China Southern, Singapore, Qantas, Fiji Airlines.

I've heard rave reviews about Qantas, but I haven't heard anything about any of the others. Does anyone have opinions on the other airlines? Are there any American based airlines you would suggest?

The prices are ranging from $1800 - $2500. Is that the average range for me being able to spend Christmas in the part of the world experiencing summer?

I was advised by Princess not to book my return flight until after 12:15PM. Some of the flights I'm seeing leave around 6:30 and later. Has anyone had a long wait post-cruise and what did you do to fill the time?

Thanks.

Hello,

I keep seeing these airlines as the most affordable. This is the order I keep seeing them in: China Eastern Airlines, China Southern, Singapore, Qantas, Fiji Airlines.

I've heard rave reviews about Qantas, but I haven't heard anything about any of the others. Does anyone have opinions on the other airlines? Are there any American based airlines you would suggest?

The prices are ranging from $1800 - $2500.

Based on the prices you quoted, I assume you are flying coach. In coach, you will find far more similarities than differences from airline to airline. You aren't going to find an airline that has seats that are 3 or 4 inches wider than everyone else, or an airline with 4 or 5 more inches of legroom than everyone else, etc. Most will have similar baggage policies, all will serve meals on a flight of that length and so forth. Other than considering price and schedule, my main question would be, is there an airline frequent flyer program that you belong to? If so, do you fly that airline enough to make the membership benefits worthwhile? If so, then perhaps consider an airline that is in the same airline alliance.

Based on the prices you quoted, I assume you are flying coach. In coach, you will find far more similarities than differences from airline to airline. You aren't going to find an airline that has seats that are 3 or 4 inches wider than everyone else, or an airline with 4 or 5 more inches of legroom than everyone else, etc. Most will have similar baggage policies, all will serve meals on a flight of that length and so forth. Other than considering price and schedule, my main question would be, is there an airline frequent flyer program that you belong to? If so, do you fly that airline enough to make the membership benefits worthwhile? If so, then perhaps consider an airline that is in the same airline alliance.

I agree. And given that of the airlines you list, only Qantas flies non-stop to Sydney, I wouldn't be looking much at the others you list. Going through the other carriers will add 8-20 hours to your trip.

United and America would be the US airlines I would be looking at. Both have non-stops.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I was advised by Princess not to book my return flight until after 12:15PM. Some of the flights I'm seeing leave around 6:30 and later. Has anyone had a long wait post-cruise and what did you do to fill the time?

You're in one of the most vibrant and exciting cities in the world and you're wondering what there is to do to fill in the time? :confused:

(Assuming you're referring to Sydney, you don't list)

You're in one of the most vibrant and exciting cities in the world and you're wondering what there is to do to fill in the time? :confused:

(Assuming you're referring to Sydney, you don't list)

I was referring to Sydney. I meant with dealing with your luggage and such.

I don't belong to any frequent flyer programs. More alike at coach price, gotcha. Thanks for that.

I'd take the Qantas (and credit the miles to an American Airlines account. Its a long flight so you might as well at least get the mies for it. Just sign up before booking and there is a place to enter your freq flier number) and look at going in Premium Economy instead of regular econ. US based airlines would be my last choice. Singapore Air is always rated one of the best airlines in the world every year.

While other airlines like Singapore are quite nice, nothing beats a nonstop on LAX-SYD with Qantas, especially if you can get yourself on the A380 (I am not sure if they still fly any 747-400s from LAX to SYD, but the A380 is much nicer in my significant experience on Qantas, as recently as two weeks ago DFW-SYD).

I have not flown United nor Delta down to Australia, but those are the only two US airlines that do it.

Virgin Australia also does LAX-SYD nonstop - I assume it's daily, but cannot guarantee it. I've heard good things about them, and they often offer fairly affordable Premium Economy, unlike Qantas where their Premium Economy is often a huge jump in price from regular economy.

Another idea, if you don't mind a stop, is Air New Zealand LAX-Auckland-SYD; but again, Qantas is nice as a nonstop.

Price wise, those flights seem fair. $2500 might be getting to the top, but $1800 seems like a great price to me.

Edited by Zach1213

I don't belong to any frequent flyer programs. More alike at coach price, gotcha. Thanks for that.

Definitely sign up for one! That's a lot of miles to leave on the table. Like I told my mother-in-law when she was going to out of the country for the first time and didn't think it was worth signing up - "you never know when you're going to travel more, and you'll regret not claiming those thousands and thousands of miles".

If you need help deciding what frequent flier program to sign up for, let us know what airline you end up choosing. Do be aware though that in some cases, things can get tricky. For example, if you choose Qantas, try to book one with an American Airlines flight number - something like "American Airlines 7364 operated by Qantas (as Qantas 12)" because that will get you full American Airlines miles. If you book through Qantas as Qantas 12, you may not get full miles unless you pay a very high fare...or you may not get miles at all credited to your AA frequent flier account.

Singapore and Air NZ partner with United

I believe Virgin Australia still partners with Delta.

nothing beats a nonstop on LAX-SYD with Qantas, especially if you can get yourself on the A380 (I am not sure if they still fly any 747-400s from LAX to SYD, but the A380 is much nicer in my significant experience on Qantas, as recently as two weeks ago DFW-SYD).

Two daily flights; one a 747-400 and the other a A380. In addition to Zach's comment, the 747-400 flight is continuing service from JFK and is chronically departs LAX 1 hour late. The A380 flight is often 20-30 minutes late but they make up the time in-flight and arrive on time.

Virgin Australia also does LAX-SYD nonstop - I assume it's daily,

Yes.

For example, if you choose Qantas, try to book one with an American Airlines flight number - something like "American Airlines 7364 operated by Qantas (as Qantas 12)" because that will get you full American Airlines miles. If you book through Qantas as Qantas 12, you may not get full miles unless you pay a very high fare...or you may not get miles at all credited to your AA frequent flier account.

I believe Virgin Australia still partners with Delta.

Also yes, and the same mileage comments apply to Virgin/Delta. If you decide to fly Virgin Australia "metal", book through Delta using the Delta flight number (codeshare) to earn Delta Skymiles at 100% rate. That said, for most fliers the Delta Skymiles program is less generous than other mileage programs....an arguable point that's another whole topic in itself !

Edited by kenish

Thinking a bit out of the box, you might want to goose your vacation experience with a stopover in a city in Asia.

China Eastern hubs through Shanghai, China Southern through Guangzhou, Singapore through....Singapore. Often you can get a free stopover (meaning no increase in air ticket fare) when flying those carriers.

Now, you would be responsible for your own hotel and expenses but it's a great way to get more bang for a long trip to Asia. Personally, I'd vote for Shanghai and Singapore, as Guangzhou doesn't have the same tourist appeal.

Google 'www.airlinequality.com This is an airline comparison website with comments from actual travellers. It's very useful if you are unfamiliar with an airline. My personal opinion ( and I have flown to and from Europe to Aus/NZ regularly over the past 15 years) is I would never choose a US airline on this route. Singapore, Emirates and Air New Zealand would be my choice.

Thinking a bit out of the box, you might want to goose your vacation experience with a stopover in a city in Asia.

China Eastern hubs through Shanghai, China Southern through Guangzhou, Singapore through....Singapore. Often you can get a free stopover (meaning no increase in air ticket fare) when flying those carriers.

Now, you would be responsible for your own hotel and expenses but it's a great way to get more bang for a long trip to Asia. Personally, I'd vote for Shanghai and Singapore, as Guangzhou doesn't have the same tourist appeal.

Cathay Pacific with a stop in Hong Kong or JAL/ANA with a stop in Tokyo would also be lovely.

Google 'www.airlinequality.com This is an airline comparison website with comments from actual travellers. It's very useful if you are unfamiliar with an airline. My personal opinion ( and I have flown to and from Europe to Aus/NZ regularly over the past 15 years) is I would never choose a US airline on this route. Singapore, Emirates and Air New Zealand would be my choice.

Just be aware that Skytrax, the website located at that URL, is often seen as a joke of a website by many. It's the FIFA of websites - buy your way to success. I don't trust a single shred of content on that website, I hate to say.

Cathay Pacific with a stop in Hong Kong or JAL/ANA with a stop in Tokyo would also be lovely.
Agreed. I had only commented on airlines that the original poster had mentioned, and now realize that I also left out a stopover in Fiji.

IIRC, I think that Fiji Airlines has a stopover program, so the OP should check that out as well if Fiji interests them.

And this once again helps to remind folks of the Iceland stopover program with Icelandair to/from Europe.