How to get to southhampton

Annie63

Hi all, I'm a cruise virgin, I have a Mediterranean cruise booked for aug sailing from Southampton, I live in the midlands, just wondering the best way to get there and where to park. There are 6 of us going so we would need to take two cars, or would it be cheaper getting a taxi??

Thanks

Have you checked that you dont get either free coach travel or free car parking at Southampton, sometimes weve had to pay for the coach other times its free, it might be worth asking your travel agent. The car park is right outside the terminal.

Hi, we live in Manchester and always get the train to Southampton, there is a direct service and takes 4 hours for us.

If you shop at Tesco you can use your vouchers through redspottedhanky for cheaper rail travel . We start to price out fares 12 weeks before departure. Sometimes it is cheaper to travel the day before and stay overnight, premier inn do great rates.

The port is a short distance from the train station and costs about £5 in a taxi.

Hope some of this helps, have a great cruise:) and welcome to cruise critic

We've sailed twice from southampton and have got the train both times, if you book in advance it can work out quite cheaply, the station is a very short taxi ride to the port, I think there is a bus too, the last time it was only a short cruise and we only had carry on bags so we walked it as it was a nice day.

If travelling by car I would travel down the day before because the motorways down south can be a nightmare. Last year my parents were travelling from Kent to Dorset, usually a 3 hour journey but it took them over 5 hours because of holiday traffic. Some of the hotels you can pay to stay for 1 night and park up to 15 nights. We have paid to park at the docks using abp parking.

Over on the Cunard forum Smiths for Airports has an excellent reputation and generally the lowest prices among car services. I used them when I came in to Southampton and out from Dover the next day and was very satisfied.

Roy

Hi all, I'm a cruise virgin, I have a Mediterranean cruise booked for aug sailing from Southampton, I live in the midlands, just wondering the best way to get there and where to park. There are 6 of us going so we would need to take two cars, or would it be cheaper getting a taxi??

Thanks

We always travel by car and park at the port. It is a very smooth operation. The porters take the bags from the car and if you are with RCCL you then park in a secure area close to the ship that is locked for the duration. If parking is not included with your booking you can do it via the Southampton Port website.

We are sailing to the Med in August.

We always park at the port, so near you can normally see your car from the ship. Just put Parking at Southampton, Royal Caribbean Cruises into google and the correct parking people will come up with a list of cruises to click into, or just ask your Travel Agent to book for you.

So much easier than trains, coaches etc.

We've sailed twice from southampton and have got the train both times, if you book in advance it can work out quite cheaply, the station is a very short taxi ride to the port, I think there is a bus too, the last time it was only a short cruise and we only had carry on bags so we walked it as it was a nice day.

What do you do with luggage on the train? Do you check it and it goes in a baggage car? Or take it on the train with you? This would be from London to Southampton.

What do you do with luggage on the train? Do you check it and it goes in a baggage car? Or take it on the train with you? This would be from London to Southampton.

most of the 'inter city' trains have luggage storage racks either end of the carriage, usually safe to leave it but we do find a seat in view of it to be on the safe side.

We always park at the port, so near you can normally see your car from the ship. Just put Parking at Southampton, Royal Caribbean Cruises into google and the correct parking people will come up with a list of cruises to click into, or just ask your Travel Agent to book for you.

So much easier than trains, coaches etc.

Your last comment depends on where you are traveling from, we Train every time and it is excellent and if booked in advance a lot cheaper.

The official port parking can be found here http://www.abparking.co.uk/. The car park is directly opposite the ship terminal. I was able to see my car in the car park from my balcony on the ship. I drove down in November from Yorkshire onto the A34 and it was a very easy straight forward drive towards Southampton.

You can find other cheaper off-site parking, then you can gauge the price difference with a taxi. If driving is cheaper I would just drive rather than messing about with trains or coaches.

we go down the day before, we stay in the ibis which is opposite the dock. we then park in the port car park. this is simple just drive into port they take your luggage then they show you where to park. we turned up early so we parked right by the entrance. its not cheap 117 for twelve nights, there are cheaper alternatives but i dont know if they are secure.

Archived