Disembarking at Port Canaveral

Alexus138

Yesss, i'm aware of Carnival's recommendation and I usually plan my return flight after noon. However, I can only find a cheap flight out of MCO at 10:00am. Has anyone disembarked at Port Canaveral and made it to the Orlando airport for a 10:00am flight? What's the earliest you were allowed off the ship with self-carry?

dont forget it's a 45 minute drive (assuming no traffic issues) from the boat to the airport....and depending on the time of year, MCO security can be a bit backed up with people leaving Disney.

Last Sunday, I can't say when they let off the self assistance group -- but the first call on the Liberty for those with luggage tags in group 1-5 were called down at 8:15.

I think you would be cutting it real close with a 10am flight...

Edited by ICF

I wouldn't chance it. Remember that you must check in at the airport 45 minutes ahead of flight time for security as well. My son was denied boarding over Christmas time because he got to the airport 32 minutes before his flight versus 45 minutes. It was due to traffic but luckily they got him on another flight a few hours later.

Yesss, i'm aware of Carnival's recommendation and I usually plan my return flight after noon. However, I can only find a cheap flight out of MCO at 10:00am. Has anyone disembarked at Port Canaveral and made it to the Orlando airport for a 10:00am flight? What's the earliest you were allowed off the ship with self-carry?

Way too close for me. Noon or later I would say as you never know exactly when you are getting off the ship, plus 40 minutes travel time, plus airline check in and the TSA security lines.

• 2 weeks later...
dont forget it's a 45 minute drive (assuming no traffic issues) from the boat to the airport....and depending on the time of year, MCO security can be a bit backed up with people leaving Disney.

Last Sunday, I can't say when they let off the self assistance group -- but the first call on the Liberty for those with luggage tags in group 1-5 were called down at 8:15.

I think you would be cutting it real close with a 10am flight...

Actually, ANY time of year, security is usually backed up at MCO! However, they are quite used to it, and it usually moves relatively quickly, but I would not risk a 10 am flight, that is just too risky.

We have used this port several times and the ship has always docked by 4:00am so most of the time they began disembarkation around 7:00 but once there was some kind of security issue (drugs I guess, the coast guard hand someone in handcuffs) so disembarkation did not begin until 8:00am.

We have used this port several times and the ship has always docked by 4:00am so most of the time they began disembarkation around 7:00 but once there was some kind of security issue (drugs I guess, the coast guard hand someone in handcuffs) so disembarkation did not begin until 8:00am.

What ship comes in at 4????

I wouldn't risk it. There is a lot of road construction in the area as well. It took us an hour to get from WDW to the airport in January. It is a minimum of a 45 minute drive from PC to ORD...without traffic and road construction. Booking that early is like playing with fire.

What did you wind up deciding?

The Dream got in around 3 am a few years ago. We were still up and got to see a rocket launch at the Cape from our aft wrap. Was a great experience.

Wow, that would have been awesome to see. We were hoping to see a shuttle launch a few years back.....everyone was crowded at the bow of the ship but unfortunately we were still too far away to see anything. :(

There's a reason flights those flights are cheap.......;) I would not risk it! You are cutting way too close so any delay at all you will miss your flight.

I would not want to end my nice relaxing cruise this way.

I do wish you luck at whatever you choose to do!!

I booked it. If we miss the flight, we'll just stand-by for a later flight or fly out the next day. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Im thinking traffic shouldn't be bad at 8am on a Sunday morning. Ive spoken to someone from Cocoa Beach shuttle and was told people have been coming off of the Sensation between 7:30am and 8:00am....

Wow, that would have been awesome to see. We were hoping to see a shuttle launch a few years back.....everyone was crowded at the bow of the ship but unfortunately we were still too far away to see anything. :(

3 generations of my family saw the last Discovery Shuttle Launch from one of the top decks of the Disney Dream at dock in PC about 4 yrs ago. Totally awesome.

Another item crossed off on the bucket list.

I have to say that I live about an hour or less from the port. We are normally in zone 1 for debarkation and we drive to the port. We leave as soon as we are able and get home by 9:00.

Having said that, I think you are taking a huge risk attempting a flight that early. Even with carrying off your own luggage, getting a shuttle to the airport immediately thereafter is chancy. The majority of shuttles wait until they are full before departing. You would not have time to get to a car rental location to get a car and return it to the airport either. No way would I ever book a flight that early. My earliest would be 11 and even that at times could be close as the check-in at Orlando is busy after a cruise.

We were on the Liberty last week. Disembarked Sunday March 1. We arrived around 6:15 and we were the second couple to disembark and it was 7:05. We are Platinum. If you have an early flight the instructions were to contact guest services the night before disembarkation to arrange to get out first if you are not platinum or diamond. The staff was very organized and on top of the disembark process. The first to arrive was instructed where to sit to get out first. Had people come in later and tried to place their luggage at the door and tried to stand with luggage so they could jump ahead, but the Carnival staff nipped that in the bud and made them go to their correct position. Way to go Liberty staff!! Very orderly process.

Misslucy01

Ok, so change of plans. I called Cocoa Beach Shuttle again today....this time to make our reservation. The lady that answered this time kinda laughed when I told her the time of my flight. She suggested we reserve a private car to get to the airport on time.....and still couldnt guarantee we would make it. So, I paid $25.00 and changed our flight to Monday. Now, im back to planning because I need to find a cheap but decent hotel near the airport....

Just got off of the Sensation this morning. Ship arrived at 6:45am and self assist was getting off by 7:30am. No road construction between port and OIA. If everything goes right you should make your flight but it will be tight.