Can I bring fresh fruit from port markets on board?

Duck Duck Cruise

We are sailing Asia on the Diamond on April 15th. I want to know if I can bring fresh items from local markets on board the ship. Fresh Asian fruit, nuts, freshly made snacks, sweets, cooked food snacks and flowers?

I am sure I will find out once on board. I just thought I would ask if anyone had experience doing this? I know pre-packaged items are fine.

Thanks,

Lin

Have not had the chance to do Asian ports yet - it is on the bucket list, but we did and do this a lot. I am an open air market "foodie junkie". I found fresh figs throughout the Med, and brought them back on board. We had a nice little chat with our head waiter, and he also enjoyed figs, so we brought enough to share. We took them to the dining room, where he had prosciutto and shaved parm waiting for us as an accompaniment, and we gave him some to enjoy as well.

We have also brought local cheeses, even flowers on board without issue. Just don't try to take them off the ship again. Anything the goes off the ship must be sealed in 'commercial' type packaging - bottles of unopened wine, or olive oil or balsamic, for example. I am sure you will find many interesting items on your cruise. Enjoy.

Bringing it onboard = Yes

Taking it ashore = No

They won't even let you take an open cup of coffee ashore. My wife found that out the hard way and it was in Hawaii - not even a foreign country.

Bringing it onboard = Yes

Taking it ashore = No

They won't even let you take an open cup of coffee ashore. My wife found that out the hard way and it was in Hawaii - not even a foreign country.

Must be a country or a ship thing. I brought coffee ashore while on the Ocean Princess's chilly Norway trip last June.

Must be a country or a ship thing. I brought coffee ashore while on the Ocean Princess's chilly Norway trip last June.

It is a location thing and on top of that an enforcement thing.

Norway may have had a prohibition on Coffee [no idea if they did or not] but not bothered to enforce it, ot have enough staff on hand to police it.

I've sailed into the same Port multiple times and sometimes they'd have sniffer dogs checking for prohibited items [fruit in particular] other times nothing.

Sort of funny comment about the sniffer dogs which are sometimes quite cute:

A woman who had no idea the dogs were sniffing for drugs, fruit, etc. said, "Isn't it nice the security people can bring their pets to work with them!":D

LuLu

Sort of funny comment about the sniffer dogs which are sometimes quite cute:

A woman who had no idea the dogs were sniffing for drugs, fruit, etc. said, "Isn't it nice the security people can bring their pets to work with them!":D

LuLu

rofl.gif