Tipping Porters at NYC Cruise Terminal

travelady65

Good to know. I usually tip them when I'm in Canada and now I'll stop that practice, as it must just be a US custom to tip the porters. Thanks.

Tipping on the whole is largely a US custom.

Just doesn't get the attention in the rest of the world that it seems to get in America.

Tipping on the whole is largely a US custom.

Just doesn't get the attention in the rest of the world that it seems to get in America.

I've traveled the world, so I'm aware of tipping in other countries. When in Canada, they seem to have their hand out for tips, but now that I know Canadians don't tip them, I'll be saving some money, even thought tipping etiquette in Canada says to tip.

Maybe folks should read travel books about their destinations, because there is tipping in far more countries than one would think.

Good to know. I usually tip them when I'm in Canada and now I'll stop that practice, as it must just be a US custom to tip the porters. Thanks.

I would not stop that practice as you state yourself it is customary to do so, so why wouldn't you? To save a couple bucks? Surely you can part with a couple bucks after shelling out a thousand or two or more for the cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figure I'm on vacation, so I can afford to be generous. $5 for one smallish rollaboard one way or the other isn't going to make much of a difference. I don't see any need for angst about tipping. I agree some folks are wrapped way too tight.

I would not stop that practice as you state yourself it is customary to do so, so why wouldn't you? To save a couple bucks? Surely you can part with a couple bucks after shelling out a thousand or two or more for the cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like the poster from Canada doesn't tip porters when in the US, so wouldn't it seem like we should just do the same thing when in Canada.

BTW, I tip porters and I tip them well, because I don't have an issue with tipping, I have an issue with those that don't do research and thus don't tip those in the countries (and there are many) that have this custom and yes, even in Canada where tips are expected.

Edited by NLH Arizona

To clarify, they are members of the port staff, usually unionized and may be the same people doing cargo on other days (depends on how many ships the port sees - the only one I know of with a dedicated porter teams is FLL because there is at least one ship there almost every day). To be fair they do make a very good salary as compared to other similar types of workers, but a tip is still customary, especially if they remove bags from your car for example.

They are not ship staff, and it is customary to tip them, same as at the airport.

Usually $5 per bag; my DH and I each take one large suitcase apiece, and it is easier to hand over to porters than to lug through the lines during embarkation. I don't have a problem with it; I know they're not associated with the cruiseline, but they (not just porters, but also parking lot attendants, etc.) are generally helpful and pleasant, considering they are there daily and have to deal with new batches of confused, loud, and more than likely rude vacationers much more often than I cruise!

...my DH and I each take one large suitcase apiece, and it is easier to hand over to porters than to lug through the lines during embarkation.

Correction:

...my DH and I take one large suitcase apiece...

Yes, I am very anal! That's why I need a vacation, soon!! :D:D

• 2 weeks later...

We usually sail from NY and park our car in the lot at the terminal. We tend to pack heavy (3 bags and 2 large cs. of water), so we pull up to the unloading area and my husband goes downstairs to ask a porter to come up and take our bags. We are always so grateful that we don't have to lug these heavy items and we tip $20.00. To us, it is well worth it.

We usually sail from NY and park our car in the lot at the terminal. We tend to pack heavy (3 bags and 2 large cs. of water), so we pull up to the unloading area and my husband goes downstairs to ask a porter to come up and take our bags. We are always so grateful that we don't have to lug these heavy items and we tip $20.00. To us, it is well worth it.

I have never thought to go down and get a porter! We are usually stuck up there waiting for an elevator. We always get one going home. Depending on how many people/bags are travelling, we have driven up, dropped our bags and a couple people off on the embarkation level and then had someone drive back down into the street and go park the car (also depending on traffic at the turn).

If I hand it to them, zero. If they come fetch it from wherever I am and drag it back to where it belongs, $1.

They are extraordinarily well compensated and do not need your tips.

The exception is if I get a speech or any sort of demand for a tip, then, as always, it's immediately zero.

It's a common courtesy to tip a couple of dollars per bag. You tip baggage handlers at the airport, bellhops at your hotel and the longshoremen at the pier. If you can afford to go on vacation , you should be able to be courteous to the people helping you. It's not about keeping the luggage "safe".

It's a common courtesy to tip a couple of dollars per bag. You tip baggage handlers at the airport, bellhops at your hotel and the longshoremen at the pier. If you can afford to go on vacation , you should be able to be courteous to the people helping you. It's not about keeping the luggage "safe".

You can be courteous to the person helping you without bribing them. I think it would be courteous of them to share some of their six-figure salaries with me, but I certainly don't expect them to.

20 cruises. I have never tipped the cruise terminal staff and always got my bags.

I refuse to tip for a service I do not request or require.

I could easily put my bags in that rank if they let me....... my 2 cents.

I actually did that on two different times. The guy that puts it on the cart is only one of many people that handle your bags, and they don't share. They actually do the least amount of work of all the others.