confused

boozy.bird

Hi... brand new to cruising I wonder if someone can give me an idiots guide as to how the drinks system works...after years of all inclusive holidays ( not of the Butlins variety) I am struggling to get my head around things....help please we are due to sail on 30th September.

Thank you in anticipation :confused:

Hi and welcome to cruising. Your question is broad, but I'll give it a try. Compared to all inclusive travel, drinks are extra on HAL ships. There are bars all over the ship where you can purchase just about any type of adult beverage you wish, at resort prices plus 15% service charge. You need not carry cash as these can be charged to your stateroom, and settled at the end of your cruise. There are drink packages available, as well as liquor by the bottle and wine packages. Check the HAL web site for pricing.

Feel free to ask further questions. We'll be glad to help.

Neal

Because you specifically ask about "the drinks system"maybe you have a Signature Beverage card? Not sure what you need explained....

but here's a run down off the top of my head:

There's no extra charge for coffee and tea, iced tea or maybe lemonade at the buffet 24 hrs, same for when ordering in the Main Dining Room (MDR)

There is a charge for bottled water, specialty coffees, specialty teas, soft drinks, wine, cocktails, liquors and other spirits.

Plus all drinks with a charge will have a gratuity of 15% added.

You can buy a soda card for $25 and get $50 worth of fountain sodas.

There are wine packages with limited selection; can buy 3, 5 or 7 bottles at either the Navigator level or Admiral level.

You can buy liquor or spirits through room service by the bottle for your room.

You can buy wines and hundreds of kinds of mixed drinks in bars, restaurants, in the theater or at the pool.

There are a couple of Happy Hour special times at which you can get a drink full price plus the second same drink for $1.

I believe the Signature Beverage Card can be used for all forms of charged-for drinks up to 15 per day and only up to $8 drinks, otherwise you pay full price.

I'm sure I've missed something but others will chime in.

Please ask more specific questions so we can help you. Welcome to Cruise critic! :) m--

I think you can still bring one bottle of wine when you check in, for personal use in your cabin. Or pay corkage to enjoy it in the main dining room.

The ability to bring wine/spirits purchased in port will need to await someone who actually knows more about this than me. It has been an evolving policy these past few years. But I believe they will hold it for you until you disembark.

I think you can still bring one bottle of wine when you check in, for personal use in your cabin. Or pay corkage to enjoy it in the main dining room.

No, that is not the way it works.

An adult (age at least 21 years) is allowed to bring aboard as many 750 ml bottles of wine as they wish, both at embarkation and every port.

One such bottle, at embarkation only, is free from the $18 per bottle corkage fee, so long as it is consumed in the cabin. Every additional bottle is charged the corkage fee, regardless of where it is consumed.

If you purchase a bottle of wine while on a HAL tour to a winery, you may bring one bottle back without corkage fee. The fee will be charged only if that bottle is brought to a public area for consumption.

Because you specifically ask about "the drinks system"maybe you have a Signature Beverage card? Not sure what you need explained....

You can buy a soda card for $25 and get $50 worth of fountain sodas.

Please ask more specific questions so we can help you. Welcome to Cruise critic! :) m--

Can you purchase a speciality coffee card ??? Thx.

You can buy a "Beverage Card" (this is not at all the same as the Signature Beverage Package) that is good for all beverages that incur a charge---including specialty coffees.

However, there is no discount attached to this card; it is for convenience only. The Beverage Card can be purchased in amounts of $50, $100, $250. It makes it so much easier to proof out your charges at the end of the cruise, as there is only the one charge for the card showing.

Not that I'm aware of, just the beverage card which is not discounted, only a convenience. But specialty coffees are included in the Signature Beverage Card program. m--

No, that is not the way it works.

An adult (age at least 21 years) is allowed to bring aboard as many 750 ml bottles of wine as they wish, both at embarkation and every port. .

Caveat: The passengers have to be able to carry on the wine. You're limited, but only by your strength and ingenuity.

I think the OP's question has been answered and I hope no one minds me asking this - if one purchases a beverage card (whatever amount) and if the $ is not used up on the cruise - can it be used on another cruise?

I think the OP's question has been answered and I hope no one minds me asking this - if one purchases a beverage card (whatever amount) and if the $ is not used up on the cruise - can it be used on another cruise?

No, you can't use it on another cruise.

Any credit balance on your beverage card refunded to you the last night and credited to your on board account. Each card is activated to go with your roomon that cruise.

The only exception to that is if you are doing a B2B cruise (on the same ship) - I believe if they know, the card carries forward, or you can make arrangements for it to do so.

You can buy a "Beverage Card" (this is not at all the same as the Signature Beverage Package) that is good for all beverages that incur a charge---including specialty coffees.

However, there is no discount attached to this card; it is for convenience only. The Beverage Card can be purchased in amounts of $50, $100, $250. It makes it so much easier to proof out your charges at the end of the cruise, as there is only the one charge for the card showing.

Thx Ruth and RML.

We just got off the Rotterdam. I had 82 cents left on my beverage card, and they credited my shipboard account on the last day.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk