Attention Quantum Sailors

Hi-

We are just a few days away from sailing on the Quantum of the Seas. I normally research the heck out of the ship before sailing, and know exactly what we want to do and not do- thanks to CC.

However, this cruise has completely SNUCK up on us. We have booked our dining and a few shows. But, I need my CC friends to enlighten us . . . what should we make sure we do, eat, see and experience on the Quantum?

I really appreciate any help you can give us!

Thank you!

Hi-

We are just a few days away from sailing on the Quantum of the Seas. I normally research the heck out of the ship before sailing, and know exactly what we want to do and not do- thanks to CC.

However, this cruise has completely SNUCK up on us. We have booked our dining and a few shows. But, I need my CC friends to enlighten us . . . what should we make sure we do, eat, see and experience on the Quantum?

Thank you!

If you can reserve I Fly, do it. Bumper cars are fun

North Star, Bumper Cars, Roller skating, try some of the speciality restaurants, bionic bar (robot arms serve you drinks), robo screens (six tv screens on robot arms move in time of the show and music) the show Mamma Mia, flow rider (learn to surf at sea), rock climbing wall. Just to name a few from the top of my head.

Hi-

Thank you!

Hopefully you made all your dinner reservation in advance. Our personal favor restaurants are Jamie Italian and Izumi. Do not forget to go to 270 cafe on the day you get on the ship for their famous roast beef sandwich. I had this every day on our Feb cruise. Spend most of my time at 270 just to relax and get away from the crowds

Sailing from NJ was wonderful. If you plan in advance making all your reservations in advance the cruise will be a great adventure. We enjoyed the cruise but would have preferred the same wait staff in the dinning room. However, if you do not like to dress up for dinner this is the cruise for you.

sailnjmom49

Most things covered. DO NOT MISS Ifly! Make a reservation for it.

If you want to do North Star and the line is long (it will be), go up either when the weather is cold and no one is around the pool, or go up about 4:30-5:00. It runs until 6 on at sea days, but most people leave the area to get ready for dinner so the line gets to about 30 min. Definitely worth a 30 min. wait.

Same with Bumper Cars. Keep an eye on the schedule as they only run certain days for about 3 hours each. We did them morning of the last day and the line was 30 min or less. It was scheduled in the afternoon also but they didn't run. So don't leave them until the last day, you may miss them.

See ALL the shows! Also, we were originally scheduled for only 1 Headliner. Then we discovered they had booked a second Headliner. So watch for that.

Go to the Music Hall. Usually something happening there.

MOST IMPORTANT! BE SURE TO CONFIRM ALL YOUR DINING RESERVATIONS! There was a lot of screwups regarding reservations for us. We had nights with 2 or 3 reservations, nights where we showed the reservation on the calendar but it wasn't in the computer, etc. Also allow LOTS of time between dinner and any other activity. It took us a Minimum of 2 hours for dinner, and usually more. We actually walked out of Chic after over 2 hours and we had not even gotten dessert menus. Now, don't worry, they are working hard to resolve the issue so likely your experience will be better. Also, they change the menus now mid-cruise. So if you like a menu at the beginning of the cruise, go to that restaurant. Silk is Asian Fusion. The first menu looked great with a variety. We had it reserved for the last night. We looked at the menu and it had become seafood heavy. My wife doesn't eat seafood so we switched.

You're going to love the ship. Don't let any glitches ruin it for you. It's beautiful and a great cruise.

Edited by papaflamingo

I'm not into Dreamworks, but I really enjoyed the short 15 minute shows on the Esplanade. Good for short attention span folks. There are several different shows. Also the photo ops with the characters were quick and fun.

Short Roboshows in Cafe270 were similar. Several different shows.

Best thing - no reservations required and usually not a massive crowd.

Eat: Jamie's Italian, lamb shank in The Grande, mudslide cookie in sorry to and late night up in Windjammer (on baking sheet out of oven all gooey and yummy!), sorrento's for the best rcl pizza on any ship (see my review for pics)

See and experience;

MUST do Northstar more than once, and especially at least once when it moves to the side.

MUST do IFly at least once, you'll be so much better and remember the experience more the second time

The "All Access" tour is the best of any ship, with all the new technology, new crew areas, etc... Especially the only allowable public access to the bow of the ship.

Get a lounger in Solarium for one day at the very front of the ship looking out over the bow

Don't miss events and nightclub life at the Music Hall.

If you're Latin music fans, Boleros was awesome on

My sailing and that bar is the only one that serves the coconut mojito, best mojito ever!! :)

Trapeze school at seaplex was great

See Starwater at least twice from 2 different locations, once below and once from balcony, you'll see a whole different show

During the 15min preshow the actors walk around looking at the crowd, they specifically look for people with cameras. If you show that you are taking pictures of them they will come over and pose for you on purpose, awesome photo ops and really fun when other cruisers start to get it and point their cameras as well

I can go on, I have too many memories that I still think about today as I head to the legend... Never reminisced about any other ship as much as Quantum, not even Oasis. Do everything, try everything!!!!

Have an awesome cruise! :))

Everything has ben covered. Just some suggestions:

American Icon Grille. Best salad bar on sea days for lunch.

Jamie's order the meat platter as an appetizer. If you like pasta, order fettuccine Bolognese an the lamb chops for the main entrée. Don't waste you time on the eggplant, etc.

Chic, order the Chilean sea bass and the chocolate torte.

Grande, the lobster tail(s). On some nights Silk has lobster tail(s)

You do not have to eat in the WJ for dinner, but visit and see the wonderful selections--from Italian antipasti to pasta and shrimp scampi cooked to order. While there, grab a handful of freshly baked cookies at any time of the day.

Take plenty of pennies and use them in American Icon Grille as there's a machine that flattens the coins with various Quantum symbols .

All show: Make sure you get there early. I suggest a minimum of 30-45 for Mamma Mia, assuming you have reserves.

I-fly/Ripcord: Make sure you have reserves and you will enjoy the longest 60 seconds of your life. I had Michael (a Scot) as instructor and he was fantastic.

NorthStar: Try the early AM especially when in port. They only take 12 at a time and lasts for approximately 12 minutes. Lines, usually get long.

Music Hall: Go for the Karaoke shows. Some are good and others are awful. However, very entertaining.

Solarium and 2x70 for relaxation.

There are so many other activities such as bump cars that you should investigate and partake in.

Hi Everybody,

My cousin and I are going on the Quantum April 24th sailing. I've been on over 30 cruises, but never on Royal Caribbean. (I know, can you believe it?) So I'm really looking forward to my first ever RCCL cruise. My cousin has never cruised before! Naturally, she's excited, and I'm really looking forward to introducing her to cruising. I'm very happy to see all of the recommendations here.

I do have a question. How often do they have karaoke? I read on Facebook that the roller skates are NOT in-line, which was a great relief to me. I love to skate, but never tried in-line. Thank you for your help.

Ladyarli

Hi Everybody,

My cousin and I are going on the Quantum April 24th sailing. I've been on over 30 cruises, but never on Royal Caribbean. (I know, can you believe it?) So I'm really looking forward to my first ever RCCL cruise. My cousin has never cruised before! Naturally, she's excited, and I'm really looking forward to introducing her to cruising. I'm very happy to see all of the recommendations here.

I do have a question. How often do they have karaoke? I read on Facebook that the roller skates are NOT in-line, which was a great relief to me. I love to skate, but never tried in-line. Thank you for your help.

Ladyarli

On the 2/2 11 niter, Karaoke was on for about 5 nights. Other nights, they ballroom dancing, Michael Jackson thriller ensemble, etc.

Hi Everybody,

I read on Facebook that the roller skates are NOT in-line, which was a great relief to me. I love to skate, but never tried in-line. Thank you for your help.

Ladyarli

I didn't rollerskate, or watch it. But I do seem to remember that you are correct, they are NOT in-line skates.

Make sure you do the Bumper Cars. Just really brings the "kid" out in you. Really fun and fun to watch.

Hopefully you made all your dinner reservation in advance. Our personal favor restaurants are Jamie Italian and Izumi. Do not forget to go to 270 cafe on the day you get on the ship for their famous roast beef sandwich. I had this every day on our Feb cruise. Spend most of my time at 270 just to relax and get away from the crowds

Sailing from NJ was wonderful. If you plan in advance making all your reservations in advance the cruise will be a great adventure. We enjoyed the cruise but would have preferred the same wait staff in the dinning room. However, if you do not like to dress up for dinner this is the cruise for you.

sailnjmom49

Thank you! Great tips! Question- when does it get warm sailing out of NJ?

Most things covered. DO NOT MISS Ifly! Make a reservation for it.

If you want to do North Star and the line is long (it will be), go up either when the weather is cold and no one is around the pool, or go up about 4:30-5:00. It runs until 6 on at sea days, but most people leave the area to get ready for dinner so the line gets to about 30 min. Definitely worth a 30 min. wait.

Same with Bumper Cars. Keep an eye on the schedule as they only run certain days for about 3 hours each. We did them morning of the last day and the line was 30 min or less. It was scheduled in the afternoon also but they didn't run. So don't leave them until the last day, you may miss them.

See ALL the shows! Also, we were originally scheduled for only 1 Headliner. Then we discovered they had booked a second Headliner. So watch for that.

Go to the Music Hall. Usually something happening there.

MOST IMPORTANT! BE SURE TO CONFIRM ALL YOUR DINING RESERVATIONS! There was a lot of screwups regarding reservations for us. We had nights with 2 or 3 reservations, nights where we showed the reservation on the calendar but it wasn't in the computer, etc. Also allow LOTS of time between dinner and any other activity. It took us a Minimum of 2 hours for dinner, and usually more. We actually walked out of Chic after over 2 hours and we had not even gotten dessert menus. Now, don't worry, they are working hard to resolve the issue so likely your experience will be better. Also, they change the menus now mid-cruise. So if you like a menu at the beginning of the cruise, go to that restaurant. Silk is Asian Fusion. The first menu looked great with a variety. We had it reserved for the last night. We looked at the menu and it had become seafood heavy. My wife doesn't eat seafood so we switched.

You're going to love the ship. Don't let any glitches ruin it for you. It's beautiful and a great cruise.

Great tips- I had no ideas about the menu changes either!

Eat: Jamie's Italian, lamb shank in The Grande, mudslide cookie in sorry to and late night up in Windjammer (on baking sheet out of oven all gooey and yummy!), sorrento's for the best rcl pizza on any ship (see my review for pics)

See and experience;

MUST do Northstar more than once, and especially at least once when it moves to the side.

MUST do IFly at least once, you'll be so much better and remember the experience more the second time

The "All Access" tour is the best of any ship, with all the new technology, new crew areas, etc... Especially the only allowable public access to the bow of the ship.

Get a lounger in Solarium for one day at the very front of the ship looking out over the bow

Don't miss events and nightclub life at the Music Hall.

If you're Latin music fans, Boleros was awesome on

My sailing and that bar is the only one that serves the coconut mojito, best mojito ever!! :)

Trapeze school at seaplex was great

See Starwater at least twice from 2 different locations, once below and once from balcony, you'll see a whole different show

During the 15min preshow the actors walk around looking at the crowd, they specifically look for people with cameras. If you show that you are taking pictures of them they will come over and pose for you on purpose, awesome photo ops and really fun when other cruisers start to get it and point their cameras as well

I can go on, I have too many memories that I still think about today as I head to the legend... Never reminisced about any other ship as much as Quantum, not even Oasis. Do everything, try everything!!!!

Have an awesome cruise! :))

Oh- I am so excited now- great ideas! Thank you!

Guest maddycat
Thank you! Great tips! Question- when does it get warm sailing out of NJ?

June. Or did you mean to ask on what day. If it's the day, that would probably be late on day 2.

Everything has ben covered. Just some suggestions:

American Icon Grille. Best salad bar on sea days for lunch.

Jamie's order the meat platter as an appetizer. If you like pasta, order fettuccine Bolognese an the lamb chops for the main entrée. Don't waste you time on the eggplant, etc.

Chic, order the Chilean sea bass and the chocolate torte.

Grande, the lobster tail(s). On some nights Silk has lobster tail(s)

You do not have to eat in the WJ for dinner, but visit and see the wonderful selections--from Italian antipasti to pasta and shrimp scampi cooked to order. While there, grab a handful of freshly baked cookies at any time of the day.

Take plenty of pennies and use them in American Icon Grille as there's a machine that flattens the coins with various Quantum symbols .

All show: Make sure you get there early. I suggest a minimum of 30-45 for Mamma Mia, assuming you have reserves.

I-fly/Ripcord: Make sure you have reserves and you will enjoy the longest 60 seconds of your life. I had Michael (a Scot) as instructor and he was fantastic.

NorthStar: Try the early AM especially when in port. They only take 12 at a time and lasts for approximately 12 minutes. Lines, usually get long.

Music Hall: Go for the Karaoke shows. Some are good and others are awful. However, very entertaining.

Solarium and 2x70 for relaxation.

There are so many other activities such as bump cars that you should investigate and partake in.

Was there a cost, other than the penny itself, to use the penny machine?

Hi-

Thank you!

Oh wow are you too funny. You could be in trouble, but I see quite a few of the assistance replies as really good advice.

I'll help.

1. I'll post a reply to this with a spreadsheet of the "Major Activities" and "Major Shows" times by day on our 8-day cruise. It might not be the same # days as yours, but you'll get the idea.

2. If you still can, make sure you have done your online check in and all of the related data and printed your Sea Passes. Without such, the chances of "walking right on the ship" are lessened.

**Take the Quantum shuttle bus, even if you don't pre-reserve. They are right at the luggage area and will sign you up in person and "off you go."

3. If you still can, make (a) show reservations online then (b) dining reservations for specialty or other restaurants that require them.

4. DINING: If you can't get a reservation prior, try once on board. If not then, go during the late afternoon "to anywhere" and see what is available. Despite the Royal App, "in person we'd like to come" still works (except the last night which is heavily booked).

Coastal Kitchen is great option if in any suite category (on our cruise).

Jamie's was very good. They will give you whatever you want.

Wonderland was a real surprise. We started with OMG we hate this when the waiter said "you don't need to order, I just need to understand if you like meat or fish." By the end, what a blast.

Chops was a surprise for us as it was not a hit on other ships. The COLOSSAL SHRIMP COCKTAIL is the largest, thickest shrimp we've ever seen.

At each of the above the waiter was a 5*. Maybe we lucked out, but they nailed it.

5. SHOWS: Ditto. If no reservation "send one from your party really early for standby. Take turns each day. You will see every show. Take a drink or two, etc. It is what it is and it still works.

**If you can't make the comedian to start, check your TV for two ship stations broadcasting shows throughout the week.

6. TWO70: Go early and often. There are so many "informal shows" going on there it is incredible. We got the full schedule from a bartender in TWO70; I took an iPhone photo of the schedule for the week.

7. iPhone or iPad: Even if you download the Royal App, consider what we did. We took a photo of every restaurant menu on the first day walk around, and every activity (SeaPlex for example, there is no "handout" of times, they are on a screen (or your dailies or TV) but we simply took a snapshot).

8. ACTIVITIES:

NORTHSTAR - See recommendation above, send a designated "line spot holder" and you are all set.

FLOWRIDER - The less perfect the weather, the less number of users; it can almost be your own private attraction. Take a board shirt or similar for those weather days.

SEAPLEX - As stated above, go there on day one and take photos of the live screen for the times for each activity (trapeze, roller skating, bumper cars, etc.). If you want to do the bumper cars, send that "designated line holder" really early.

**Roller Skating - CAUTION - I can't skate, my wife can put skates on after 10 years and do circles forward and backward. That is ON ICE. These are not ice skates, it is a problem. I roller skated with ease. My wife fell "standing up" first then 25 feet on the composite floor and that was it. Most people we saw fall required "assessment" by the Quantum staff. It is fun, but beware at the outset.

RIPCORD iFLY - If no reservations prior to, then go in person. People reserved "do not show up" and they take who is there. NOT TO BE MISSED. A real blast.

While there, do ALL WAIVERS FOR ALL ACTIVITIES on the touchpad.

9. GENERAL:

Solarium ~ the best new design of the best cruise ship concept.

Indoor Pool ~ like a large solarium on Celebrity, just fantastic design.

Outdoor Pool ~ sit across from the stadium entertainment screen, wicked funny stuff.

Royal Esplanade ~ ground floor if you want up close, tons of parades. Upper floor if you want to just watch. If active up there at the BIONIC BAR (a must do), go across to outside Wonderland and above Sorrentos of great viewing seating.

Spa ~ never got there.

Fitness Center ~ never got there, but we did walk the TRACK 5 days. Great design for this ship, just a bit under the beauty of the one on Oasis and Allure.

Stuff Missed ~ Sooooooo much. If we could have, we would have stayed on for the next cruise. We've tried to book Anthem out of Southampton to the Canaries in a couple of months unsuccessfully. We're looking to book Anthem in late November when state-side.

THIS IS ONE GREAT SHIP.