Power strips/MDR/pillow questions

Floridanamaw

We are getting close to our cruise and I have a few, hopefully last, questions.

1. Are we allowed to take power strips onboard the ship? I know there are very few outlets in the cabin and we always have things that need to be charged up. And I will have my heating pad I use sometimes that I would need a good location to plug it in.

2. On non formal nights what is the attire for the MDR? Are jeans and

T's allowed or jeans and a button up shirt allowed? We are not even planning on taking formal clothes but we might want to eat in the MDR on a non formal night. I want to make sure they don't turn us away.

3. Are their pillows big fat hard pillows or do they squish down nice and soft? I can not sleep on a fat pillow. I have only been on Carnival ships so far and I LOVED their pillows. So comfy! I was going to bring my own if I need to. It's a nice flat one that I could easily get in the suitcase.

I think this is all the questions I can think of now. Thank you all for answering all my questions I have posted over the last several months. Everyone has been so nice and helpful. :)

We are getting close to our cruise and I have a few, hopefully last, questions.

1. Are we allowed to take power strips onboard the ship? I know there are very few outlets in the cabin and we always have things that need to be charged up. And I will have my heating pad I use sometimes that I would need a good location to plug it in.

Answer: Yes you can bring power strips onboard.

T's allowed or jeans and a button up shirt allowed? We are not even planning on taking formal clothes but we might want to eat in the MDR on a non formal night. I want to make sure they don't turn us away.

Answer: yes jeans are allowed in the MDR.

3. Are their pillows big fat hard pillows or do they squish down nice and soft? I can not sleep on a fat pillow. I have only been on Carnival ships so far and I LOVED their pillows. So comfy! I was going to bring my own if I need to. It's a nice flat one that I could easily get in the suitcase.

Answer: Our pillows were soft, fluffy and perfect.

I think this is all the questions I can think of now. Thank you all for answering all my questions I have posted over the last several months. Everyone has been so nice and helpful. :)

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

There are no FORMAL NIGHTS in the MDR on Norwegian...

From NCL's FAQ:

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain. Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

Clean Dressy or New jeans not something from a country drag race tractor pull with mud oil stains and holes.

As for the shirt (top) best to look for something with a collar on it i.e. Polo shirt.

Try to avoid collarless "T" shirts some work but with some you maybe

pushing the Freestyle aspect a bit too far. Definitely not TANK types !

Footwear avoid flip-flops and sandals - loafers and tennis/athletic shoes OK

Any doubt check in advance with the Maitre d' of the MDR or Regristration Desk/Concierge.

Since you will not be able to do this in advance packing BEFORE your cruise

you have come to one of the best places to offer advice CC !

NCL ships generally have two MDRs - one is always a tad bit more stuffed shirt

dressy code protocol leaning - if you don't pass muster there then the other

venue will generally work and then you won't go hungry there is always the

buffet. The speciality restaurants are generally 'Smart Casual' dress code -

jeans/slacks and polo collar shirt shoes but no flip-flops.

1. Re - the power strip "Excellent" idea often the cabin has only two points

to plug in accessories - one somewhere in the vicinity of desk/writing table

and or TV - the other is in the bathroom and caution using this arrangement

when the interior lights are turned off this MAY affect the shaver or whatever

you are charging. The cabin steward will need the use of an outlet to do his

job of vacuuming and cleaning your cabin a power strip gives him the best

deal to not unplug your charging devices laptop game consuls. Keep one

plug open - AND another cavet do not bring along high energy use devices

plug in too many of these and the ships engineer has to reset the breakers

for the electricity in your cabin - Your own hair dryer and say a NO-NO iron.

3. Re - Pillows - You no like just ask the cabin steward for a change !

Thanks for the replies. I was fairly sure the power strip was okay but wanted to make sure. If we decide to eat in the MDR we will look for the one that is less formal. I think that might Tsars, maybe? Our jeans are new so no holes or stains and I'll make sure DH takes at least one non t-shirt with him. If Norwegians pillows are anything like Carnivals then I will be happy. The best pillows I have ever laid my head on!

If we decide to eat in the MDR we will look for the one that is less formal. I think that might Tsars, maybe?

Tsar's is the more formal of the two MDR on the Jewel. The Azura Dining Room located mid-ship is the less formal of the two MDR on the Jewel.

If Norwegians pillows are anything like Carnivals then I will be happy. The best pillows I have ever laid my head on!

I haven't been on the Jewel, but found that the pillows on the Jade, POA and Star in non suite rooms were pretty worn out. As another noted, you can request another pillow from the room steward, but usually they were in the same condition. It's not worth the hassle. On my last cruise, we must have had 10 pillows in the room by the time we had 2 good ones. I'd suggest taking your own pillow just in case.

You have your questions answered by now. Just wanted to chime in on the dress code, as far as jeans and T's. Even though Tsar's is the more "formal" (fancy) dining room, they still allow jeans, as long as they are clean and not overly faded or holey. They ask for no T's. People will push the envelope no matter what the rules are, but it's nice to see folks playing by the rules.

The Alaska cruises are more laid back than many of the others, and you will see T's that obviously have been bought in port while on the cruise. I've never seen anyone turned away for wearing them. I'm not encouraging that, but just letting you know my observations.

My DH always wears jeans (except in Le Bistro) and a polo type shirt.

Maam no question is ever too small all should have an answer.

That is why we all ask those interrogative statements.

Clothing really does not matter a lot on these ships as it is a normalcy now. Formality is nice to have those oh so nice Kodak moments.. Oohh Laa Laaa. The Tuxedo was invented in New York State. Thusly Tuxedo and Tuxedo Park, New York.

On all ships you paid for the voyage and may choose your dressing.

Pillows..well having a lower rate fare does not let the people have many choices as the other higher fares . Same as in the hotels too.

A Multiple Power Outlet Strip is a must for all cruises. one day they may install multiple outlets for us Cruiser -Americans eh.. we do have a lot of the market place. I wonder why more people do not submit that basic request to the Parent Firms and Comment Cards? ;)

What ever you do GOD Bless you and have a wonderful cruise!!:cool:

I will take an extension cord, just in case. Hopefully I won't have to use that heating pad but after walking around all day in ports my back might enjoy the warmth from it. I also had read that the Alaskan cruises were a little less formal than other ones. That is fine with us. We both are really looking forward to this cruise, cooler weather and even some rain. :D

Save yourself some money and aggravation and buy a power strip that DOES NOT have a surge suppressor. They are not required onboard ships, and actually can do harm to the power strip or cause alarms on the shipboard power system. Most of the power strips that are confiscated on boarding are the surge suppressor type.

Save yourself some money and aggravation and buy a power strip that DOES NOT have a surge suppressor. They are not required onboard ships, and actually can do harm to the power strip or cause alarms on the shipboard power system. Most of the power strips that are confiscated on boarding are the surge suppressor type.

I didn't know that so I will make sure I get one without the surge suppressor. Thanks for the info.

Glad to see you back chengkp75!!! I have missed seeing your informative posts on CC for the last 2 months. Were you out to sea? Thanks for the info on the surge suppressor plug strips - I was wondering about that.

I am glad to see chengkp75 as well!!

Missed your knowledge here the past few months. Hope all is well.

Thanks for the info on the power strips without surge protectors. We will get better ones for next time.

Happy Sailing!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Glad to see you back chengkp75!!! I have missed seeing your informative posts on CC for the last 2 months. Were you out to sea? Thanks for the info on the surge suppressor plug strips - I was wondering about that.

Yes, got to pay the bills. Should be home until Halloween. Hope that all I have to post about are power strips and vacuum toilets, and there are no major incidents, though I am continuing my subscription to the Concordia recovery thread.

To be confused or not to be confused with the Power Strips that have a

resettable circuit breaker ?

The ships AC or DC power should be uniformly transmitted unlike the service

of a land based utility where voltage spikes and current surges are common

in areas of brownouts etc.

Edited by don't-use-real-name
letter correction

To be confused or not to be confused with the Power Strips that have a

resettable circuit breaker ?

The ships AC or DC power should be uniformly transmitted unlike the service

of a land based utility where voltage spikes and current surges are common

in areas of brownouts etc.

The resettable circuit breaker (commonly disguised as an on/off switch is different from a surge protector. This circuit breaker is fine. This protects your stuff from over current.

A surge protector takes unusual voltage spikes (most consumer power strips have a clamping voltage above 600v) and drops it from the hot or neutral wires to the ground wire, to protect from over voltage. Since in the US, the neutral and ground wires are at the same potential (they are connected together back at your breaker panel), this is not a problem. Ships do not ground to the hull, and the ground wire is at a different potential to the two wires carrying current. The surge protectors circuit that connects the hot wire to the ground can cause a fire in certain instances onboard a ship (there is a USCG safety directive about not using them unless you know how the ship is wired), and will cause ground fault alarms in the engineering automation systems.

While the voltage spikes caused by brownouts are bad, the main reason to have surge protectors at home is lightning strikes, as these voltages are many, many times higher. In actual fact, the ship's power tends to fluctuate more than a shoreside power grid, because the power generation to power usage ratio is so much smaller. When a thruster is started, there will be a noticeable power drop until the governors on the diesels can catch up with the power demanded of the generators. The governor will then swing slightly to the high side before stabilizing. Ship's power is also not a constant 60 cycles, which is why plug in clocks are not reliable on ships, as they use the 60 cycles as the timekeeping signal. These voltage and frequency swings that ship's power exhibits do not come close to the clamping voltages of a surge suppressor, so there is no need for one.