Would I be ok wearing a short dress on a formal night?

Elephant999

Hi,

Just packing my dresses for next weeks adventure. In my case I have packed a short(ish) red sparkly dress which is lovely and I would like to wear it on a formal night, but would it be frowned upon on the Oceana?

I also have long dresses as well to substitute, but I would like to wear the red one if possible, but don't want to stick out like a sore thumb or offend anybody.

Regards

Sharon

That's right. Same on Oriana.

There was a mixture of long and short, very formal, and just formal. Lots of ladies had little black dresses too, but put on some bling. One night I wore velvet trousers and a sparkly top and I certainly didn't feel out of it.

Short sparkly red sounds absolutely lovely

Enjoy every single minute!:)

Hi,

Just packing my dresses for next weeks adventure. In my case I have packed a short(ish) red sparkly dress which is lovely and I would like to wear it on a formal night, but would it be frowned upon on the Oceana?

I also have long dresses as well to substitute, but I would like to wear the red one if possible, but don't want to stick out like a sore thumb or offend anybody.

Regards

Sharon

It sounds lovely - you'll be fine. I've worn cocktail dresses, ball gown type dresses and long evening gowns. All are great and you will have no problem fitting in. Have a great cruise - we're very jealous.

I think ladies are slowly moving away from full length dresses and it doesn't feel 'compulsory' on formal evenings any more. For my next cruise I won't be taking any long dresses at all and I'll be doing the same the next time I'm on Oceana. I take calf-length dresses (like Wilson my knees aren't what they were :D) and a couple of pairs of evening type trousers with blingy tops. I certainly never feel under-dressed on formals wearing those

I've been on 10 cruises spread over 4 different cruise lines. I've only ever worn a full length dress a couple of times. One occasion being for the New Year's Eve gala dinner on Azura.

I much prefer wearing a cocktail dress, to the knee or 3/4 length, with some fabulous shoes. One reason is that I get more use out of a cocktail dress at do's or dinner when not cruising. Another reason is it's easier to deal with the stairs when on board. As we are fairly fit we rarely use the lifts and hubby will charge off:(. It's not easy keeping up whilst clutching a dress and a bag and trying to look swish! I did once see a lady catch her heel in her long dress and fall on the stairs in the Atrium on Sea Princess. :eek:

All sorts of lovely dresses of all lengths are worn. Your dress and shoes sound gorgeous! Have fun:D

Hi,

Regards

Sharon

"Lady In Red", there's a song about you. You won't offend any male onboard.

I'd suggest highish heels on the matching shoes though, open toe, strappy type.

On our last cruise (on Queen Elizabeth), there was a lady who wore short dresses every evening. Most were so short they barely covered her underwear, but she didn't get stopped by staff.

She definitely didn't have the legs for it, but as she strode through the MDR every evening (always late) she certainly got lots of looks and quite a lot of gents got some different looks from their ladies as they turned their heads to watch. It might not have been classy, but that lady certainly got the attention ahe probably wanted. Besides, it was fun watching the show every evening.

On our last cruise (on Queen Elizabeth), there was a lady who wore short dresses every evening. Most were so short they barely covered her underwear, but she didn't get stopped by staff.

She definitely didn't have the legs for it.

Nothing worse than cruise ship mutton.