Question about entry at Colonnade

Pop-I

The days of calling us by our names is the exception rather than the rule. Used to be that I could not pass any staff member in the hall without them greeting me by my name.

In all our Seabourn cruises I can never recall anyone I passed in the hall - other than our own stewardess or one of the members of staff like the Cruise Director - greeting me by name, and would not have expected them to. Mostly in the corridors you meet stewardesses, who always say hello or good morning or whatever, but could not possibly know the names of everyone on their deck.

Most people still get greeted by their names after a few days by wait staff, although I can't imagine on the large ships if there was a huge group (!) their names would be likely to be remembered much, for various reasons.;)

The Colonnade is seat yourself, even at dinner.

We were not asked for our room # but once.....that was the first time that we ordered cAviar...probably a new staff member.

In the MDR there is a small and quiet machine which the podium person uses to generate a slip of parse with your tAble # and name???hands it tithe waiter and off you go. These staff members called you by name as did many others in various sections of the ship.

Sorry for the caps but my iPad won't behave.

Paula - in my experience the Colonnade is not seat yourself in the evenings, unless maybe it is for buffet nights. This is I feel because you are served the whole meal by wait staff unless it is a buffet, and the maitre'ds like (as I think in the dining room) to give the wait staff a proportionate amount of work at any one time, rather than letting a lot of people go to one section at once.

I address all staff by their names.

The name badges sure come in handy if you do not know them from previous cruises.:)

Precisely the point I was making Mr L. We always address all members of the crew by name, and make a point of getting to know them, where they hail from, etc. We, in turn, are always called by our names throughout the cruise.

I have noticed some people don't however do this, and they tend to be the ones who then complain that the crew don't remember, or use, their names!

I too call the Staff & Crew by their names ~I know many from previous sailings. I try to know many of the galley chefs, the sweet 'lit housekeepers, their assistants (the florist aboard), the laundry Master and his team, etc.

Some enjoy being called their nicknames....and most Crew teams simply call me, "Miss Martha "~I do adore Seabourn crew members ~they work so very hard, day & night, to make all of us comfortable and happy.

MB

The Colonnade is seat yourself, even at dinner.

We were not asked for our room # but once.....that was the first time that we ordered cAviar...probably a new staff member.

And people keep telling me the Colonnade is a luxury experience:rolleyes:

On the Prides final two cruises anytime someone ordered caviar (at least in the club) they were asked for their room number. Even for standing orders. It was really messing up the staff as they had to call down to the kitchen to remind them of the standing order. Wait for the kitchen to call back and ask for a verification of the room number. Then the caviar was sent up. I was surprised that one of the people with a standing order didn't go find Karl and Pasquale and have a little chit-chat.

In all our Seabourn cruises I can never recall anyone I passed in the hall - other than our own stewardess or one of the members of staff like the Cruise Director - greeting me by name, and would not have expected them to. Mostly in the corridors you meet stewardesses, who always say hello or good morning or whatever, but could not possibly know the names of everyone on their deck.

Most people still get greeted by their names after a few days by wait staff, although I can't imagine on the large ships if there was a huge group (!) their names would be likely to be remembered much, for various reasons.;)

Those who remember being addressed by our names are from the "olden" days -circa 10 years ago. But that was on the baby ships. And it occurred beginning with the first day. I was amazed how they did that (only to learn that they had to study our pics the first night). Frankly, while it is nice, having everyone know my name is not all that important to me.

Those who remember being addressed by our names are from the "olden" days -circa 10 years ago.

It still happens. I've only been sailing Seabourn for around a year but I was regularly greeted by name by staff members I'd never seen before on all three of the past year's cruises. I also have had staff "remember" me from previous cruises. I factor it being a combination of great behind-the-scenes data and maybe being slightly easier to remember (as I'm usually one if a handful of younger guests).

I was seated at a table in the Sky Bar (Pride) one sailing reading my Guest List booklet when our Captain came by and ask if he could join me for an orange juice ~He inquired as to what the 'little white book was.....I replied, "Captain, it's our passenger Guest List." ~~it was really funny as he said, "I don't have one. could you get one for me?" I then simply said, "of course, I'll run down to the Purser desk and will have one for you in 10 minutes." He was waiting for me when I came back and handed him the booklet.

Of course he had all the passenger information on his PC but the Cruise Director had just failed to send him a booklet.

I have always thought and suggested Seabourn passengers really should write a book ~it would be a best seller! 'Truth is stranger then fiction.

Happy, safe travels

MB

Precisely the point I was making Mr L. We always address all members of the crew by name, and make a point of getting to know them, where they hail from, etc. We, in turn, are always called by our names throughout the cruise.

I have noticed some people don't however do this, and they tend to be the ones who then complain that the crew don't remember, or use, their names!

Yes,it's common sense really

You have to give a little to get a little.

Like you I find that talking to crew about what interests them is a good way to start a conversation.

Who is the chef making your delicious meals?

Winner,

The Chef De Cuisine is Roderick De Guzman,a nicer guy you will not meet.

His food is consistently good,hot when it should be and nicely seasoned.

He is seen about in the restaurants and likes to chat with guests about the food.

I have heard only praise about the food from other guests.

We're really hoping that he will be there for our transatlantic and caribbean leg on Spirit on 1 November. We've had some fantastic meals on board Spirit in the past and also some great shopping trips with him too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It still happens. I've only been sailing Seabourn for around a year but I was regularly greeted by name by staff members I'd never seen before on all three of the past year's cruises. I also have had staff "remember" me from previous cruises. I factor it being a combination of great behind-the-scenes data and maybe being slightly easier to remember (as I'm usually one if a handful of younger guests).

I get called by my name, especially with repeat staff. On my last cruise it was let slip that the staff member who could name the most passengers after 24 hours would get a prize of some sort. Im guessing that works better on the little sisters.

We too are probably among the "younger guests", but don't think age has anything to do with it as we have met some pretty remarkable folks much more senior. I have met some pretty memorable older folks from 40s on up, so I can't say that being older made them less memorable.

Lol... if 40 is the line, then I'm now definitely old too. I was already past that milestone when I started sailing. If I'd known how much fun it would be, I'd have started earlier! :D

Funny - we've had lots of other threads where people in their 30s-40s thinking about sailing are repeatedly told they'll be younger than the average Seabourn passenger. :p

Lol... if 40 is the line, then I'm now definitely old too. I was already past that milestone when I started sailing. If I'd known how much fun it would be, I'd have started earlier! :D

Funny - we've had lots of other threads where people in their 30s-40s thinking about sailing are repeatedly told they'll be younger than the average Seabourn passenger. :p

Yes, I think if you factor out the few children who are sometimes on board - who can be as young as 1 or 2 - although the average age has gone down in the past few years, it is probably still at least 50, and my guess is nearer 60.