Kind of a cruise question!

Hi there. My mom and I are going on our first cruise, to Alaska, next month. We're going with seasoned cruisers so we have all kinds of questions and concerns. My first question isn't really a cruise question but involves bringing something on our cruise. We have a travel alarm clock and travel sound machine that someone on here recommended to us. They both take batteries. My question is, can we take these two machines, with the batteries already in them, in our carry on bag or must they be checked? Also, I saw on a YouTube video that some cruise lines only have one outlet in the room and it's at the desk. Does Royal Caribbean have an outlet in the bathroom for us ladies styling equipment or do we only have the one at the desk? Thank you for any help and/or advice you can give. I'm most concerned about figuring out what to pack to be under my airline's weight limit and all of my clothes not being wrinkled. We're doing the 4 day land tour before the cruise so there will be ample amounts of time for my "cruise clothes" to get wrinkled.

When flying and boarding a cruise, I take the batteries out of my battery alarm clock and put them in when I get to my cabin. I then remove the batteries just before I leave the cabin on debarkation day. Better to go through the TSA check with the batteries out.

As for styling appliances, I use the blow dryer provided by the ship and just plug in my curling iron/brush - my camera batteries and Kindle can charge the rest of the day. My phone is in the safe and turned off. So we really only need the one outlet.

We have a travel alarm clock and travel sound machine that someone on here recommended to us. They both take batteries. My question is, can we take these two machines, with the batteries already in them, in our carry on bag or must they be checked? carry on is fine Also, I saw on a YouTube video that some cruise lines only have one outlet in the room and it's at the desk. Does Royal Caribbean have an outlet in the bathroom for us ladies styling equipment or do we only have the one at the desk? the outlet in the bathroom is for shavers ONLY. the make up mirror etc is at the desk. Thank you for any help and/or advice you can give. I'm most concerned about figuring out what to pack to be under my airline's weight limit and all of my clothes not being wrinkled. We're doing the 4 day land tour before the cruise so there will be ample amounts of time for my "cruise clothes" to get wrinkled.

EVERYONE'S clothes will be wrinkled.

My question is, do you really need both of these items? I use the automated wake-up call system on the cabin phone. Do you use a sound machine at home? If not, what makes you think you need one for your cruise?

Roz

Ladies need to dry and style hair in front of the dressing table/desk mirror. It is well lit and I have no problems with doing this and it is away from the stream in the tiny bathroom.

I use a white noise app on my Iphone rather than carry any additional machines. As far as clothes - bring fewer than you think. For Alaska we found layers worked great and we were in shorts in Vancouver and Skagway - only really cool day was when were at the glaciers and layers worked great for us. My dresses/DH dress shirts go inside dry cleaner bags which capture a bit of air and make the wrinkles minimal. I pack very light so that we can go with 22" carry on only so I plan my wardrobe carefully so that I do not worry about weight limits.

Alaska was beautiful - relax and have a great time.

Hi there. My mom and I are going on our first cruise, to Alaska, next month. We're going with seasoned cruisers so we have all kinds of questions and concerns. My first question isn't really a cruise question but involves bringing something on our cruise. We have a travel alarm clock and travel sound machine that someone on here recommended to us. They both take batteries. My question is, can we take these two machines, with the batteries already in them, in our carry on bag or must they be checked? Also, I saw on a YouTube video that some cruise lines only have one outlet in the room and it's at the desk. Does Royal Caribbean have an outlet in the bathroom for us ladies styling equipment or do we only have the one at the desk? Thank you for any help and/or advice you can give. I'm most concerned about figuring out what to pack to be under my airline's weight limit and all of my clothes not being wrinkled. We're doing the 4 day land tour before the cruise so there will be ample amounts of time for my "cruise clothes" to get wrinkled.

You can leave your batteries in everything. I also take a small baggie with a selection of AA and AAA batteries. Hearing aid ones too. That goes in my carryon only because of the weight.

Bring whatever you use at home to do your hair. Unfortunately you need to use that one plug in the common area. Bring a an extension cord with multiple outlets and you can plug in your phone, camera or whatever all in at once without having to plug and unplug. I also use a CPAP which requires one of those slots along with a scooter so I need to do that every time anyway.

Don't listen to people who tell you not to bring a clock. Sheesh. I bring two of them. One for each nightstand. Rather then fully wake up, get out of my bed to look at my phone to read the time (or walk around the bed to do so) it is much easier to reach out my arm, grab the clock and pull it closer to me, read the time and go back to sleep. As well, my cell phone goes in the safe so using that is also that a choice. Roz, just because that is what you like it is not what the OP was asking. In the case of the clock through I do bring battery operated ones.

If you need a sound machine to go to sleep, bring it. I would imagine that you are a light sleeper and this helps distract your brain from hearing external noises and makes you have a better sleep. Why wake up tired when you don't have too? Personally, if I pack it to go on an overnight land stay, I pack it for the cruise. If I have room I'll bring my own pillows too.

• 2 weeks later...