American Airlines A380??

johnjen

Being a fan of airliners and collecting scale models of them ~

On a second look at our tickets I couldn't help notice the leg from IAD - LHR was on an Airbus A380. Then I realized AA doesn't have the A380 yet. After calling AA, discovered that the flight is actually with BA, who has this awesome plane, so I've learned that we're flying on an A380 for the first time.

What's better? Top or bottom deck? Does it matter? Are they the same? I cannot recall choosing seats, with RCL's air2sea, is it an extra fee to ask for specific seats?

It's probably not a big deal to you folk who fly 1000 times a year, but for me this is fantastic news....so if you're thinking of a cruise out of Europe and want to fly in one of these, here it is.

There are lots of A380s between the US and Europe...BA, SQ, AF, LH

I've not flown BA's A380s in economy (am assuming you're flying economy) but I believe on the upper deck they have storage lockers at the window seats which gives you a nice little shelf and some added personal space

Edited by fbgd

One big consideration is that on the upper deck, you have a 2-4-2 configuration in coach, whereas it is 3-4-3 on the lower. If you are a couple and want that pair together - there's your answer.

Know that BA charges for seat assignments, IIRC.

Assuming you are flying Economy (World Traveler in British), those seats are the "back of the bus" on both decks. I doubt there is any real difference between the two decks.

We have flown the A380 on LH. In LH's case, the top deck is all business and First on most of their A380s ( an older version has a small- 4 rows- section of Economy in the very back). In any event, the planes are quieter than most older planes, and they set the pressure higher, so the air seems less dry, and the effects of jet lag seem less. Same is true of the Boeing 787s. The LH A380s have several new tech gadgets, like cameras on the outside of the plane top, bottom front and tail, so you can see differnet angles as you taxi, takeoff/land and fly.

One big consideration is that on the upper deck, you have a 2-4-2 configuration in coach, whereas it is 3-4-3 on the lower. If you are a couple and want that pair together - there's your answer.

Know that BA charges for seat assignments, IIRC.

Gotta say, you in particular, are a huge help on here, appreciate this. I'll call air 2 sea and find out what the punishment is in dollars for an upper deck "2", we've flown in the middle row in between people who complained a lot when DW needed to stretch her legs...that middle stuff is crazy.

AA doesn't have the A380 yet. After calling AA, discovered that the flight is actually with BA

with RCL's air2sea

On a regular reservation, it will show you during the booking process and before you hit "purchase" who the operating carrier is (in this case, BA). Is that information not available up front when you book through air2sea? Something else to be aware of for those who book that way.

Assuming you are flying Economy (World Traveler in British Airways), those seats are the "back of the bus" on both decks. I doubt there is any real difference between the two decks.
Upper deck 70AB and 70JK; second best 80AB and 80JK - these beat anything on the main deck (except, arguably, 25D for a solo passenger).