Explain Early Savers cancellation to me please

serene56

Because for years I thought one way and carnival is telling me something completely different

I had a cruise in Feb on the Vista fir me, honey and grand daughter. We had to cancel grand daughter before final payment because of school testing. School was not giving this as an excused absence because of the testing

I understand we booked early saver so I lose 50.00 and 200 will be held in escrow fir the next cruise. This was my understanding how it worked

No so. Since we used my dads credit card only he can use the credit on any future cruise. My dad is now 88 years old and will not be cruising anytime because I don't feel comfortable taking him out of the country.

Is this how early savers supposed to be? I'm out the money for grand daughter ? We are booked in August on liberty

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I used two credit cards to pay this cruise. Mine and my dads. How did they determine that it wAs my dad who gets this credit

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

i think it all depends on the main point of contact for your booking. . if you view your cruise details in cruise manager, under the billing. the main person should have a red star icon.

I would imagine the system is generating the credit for your dad if it is seeing his payment on the deposit - if both cards were used to make the deposit, then you'll have to call Carnival to get them to re-issue the credit.

Sent from my eye phone using Forums FFS

I always book early saver I have gotten some excellent on board credit because of it. I also always get my own travel insurance in case something like this happens. Your best bet in the future. Good luck :(

We got the vacation protection plan for our next cruise. When I log into our booking online, there's a link that says something like, "Will there be a cancellation fee for this booking?" If I click on it, it currently shows a $250 cancellation fee. We couldn't figure out why since we had the protection plan that comes with cancellation fee waiver. After receiving a promotional email about the protection plan, I figured out (I think) that we have to pay the fee for the plan in order for it to activate, in addition to the deposit. So far, we've only paid the deposit. So am I correct, do we have to actually pay the protection plan fee before it activates? If so, is Carnival able to apply a payment directly to that protection plan fee as opposed to just putting it towards the balance in general? When attempting to make a payment online, I don't see an option to apply the payment directly to the protection plan.

I have always booked ES. This is the first time there was a problem. My GD has cruised 6 times under ES.

Since two cards were used-- and they used my dads CC

IF i wanted them to use my card for this cancellation fee I need to pay them 20.00 to reverse the card.

is any of this in the terms because I am just not seeing that.

We got the vacation protection plan for our next cruise. When I log into our booking online, there's a link that says something like, "Will there be a cancellation fee for this booking?" If I click on it, it currently shows a $250 cancellation fee. We couldn't figure out why since we had the protection plan that comes with cancellation fee waiver. After receiving a promotional email about the protection plan, I figured out (I think) that we have to pay the fee for the plan in order for it to activate, in addition to the deposit. So far, we've only paid the deposit. So am I correct, do we have to actually pay the protection plan fee before it activates? If so, is Carnival able to apply a payment directly to that protection plan fee as opposed to just putting it towards the balance in general? When attempting to make a payment online, I don't see an option to apply the payment directly to the protection plan.

The protection plan operates independently from the Carnival booking system. The cancellation fee shown is what the booking system generates. If you have to cancel and it is for a reason covered in the policy (not all reasons are covered), then the plan would reimburse you the covered amount of your cancellation penalty.

IMHO, it sounds like you really didn't fully understand what happens when you cancel an ES booked cruise. Booking ES has numerous restrictions, most never take time to read/understand all of Carnivals restrictions about ES cancellations. I have no idea why Carnival decided to apply the cancellation to one credit card vs the other card. Perhaps it was the card that appeared/was listed 1st when the deposits/payments were made. Who knows.

If you can't get someone at Carnival to make the change for you voluntarily and you plan to try and use the credit on a future cruise, $20 seems like a small penalty to pay to use the $200 in the future.

In reality, the cost between an ES fare and a Past Guest fare is almost always $20 difference. ES has a truckload of restrictions, Past Guest is 100% completely refundable. ES fare gives you some advantages Past Guest does not - for example price protection up to 2 days before the cruise vs up to final payment.

When you choose ES fare, you must be willing to accept the bad with the good.

I'm sure you have to pay for the insurance before it kicks in. I always get my insurance independently so I don't know Carnivals policy.

I really don't understand all of the "boatload" of restrictions people says early saver has?? You can't switch people (I have never had or wanted to do that in 16 cruises), you pay $50 to switch dates (that's nothing), and you can't downgrade your room (why would you want to??). I always book the exact room I want so I would never change it unless I was called to upgrade, which I've done. If you do think you'll change any of that, just get some independent travel insurance. It's pretty simple, but to each their own. I've saved so much money and the one time I didn't book it, there was a HUGE price drop after final payment and I couldn't get it. After that, never again.

I'm sure you have to pay for the insurance before it kicks in. I always get my insurance independently so I don't know Carnivals policy.

I really don't understand all of the "boatload" of restrictions people says early saver has?? You can't switch people (I have never had or wanted to do that in 16 cruises), you pay $50 to switch dates (that's nothing), and you can't downgrade your room (why would you want to??). I always book the exact room I want so I would never change it unless I was called to upgrade, which I've done. If you do think you'll change any of that, just get some independent travel insurance. It's pretty simple, but to each their own. I've saved so much money and the one time I didn't book it, there was a HUGE price drop after final payment and I couldn't get it. After that, never again.

Events happen in people's lives (except apparently to you).

Unforseen and unexpected important events come up requiring schedule changes.

Events happen in people's lives (except apparently to you).

Unforseen and unexpected important events come up requiring schedule changes.

Sure. And that's what insurance is for. But agree that the restrictions aren't all that restricting. When you book airfare it's usually $200+ to change the flights. When you book non-refundable hotels or packages it's too bad so sad if you want to cancel. UK bookers have never been able to cancel/re-price cruises prior to final payment date. ES is still a decent deal... while this instance of the credit going to the payee is a bit silly, it sounds like it's going to be just an addition $20 to sort that out. Not a big deal in the long run.

Sure. And that's what insurance is for. But agree that the restrictions aren't all that restricting. When you book airfare it's usually $200+ to change the flights. When you book non-refundable hotels or packages it's too bad so sad if you want to cancel. UK bookers have never been able to cancel/re-price cruises prior to final payment date. ES is still a decent deal... while this instance of the credit going to the payee is a bit silly, it sounds like it's going to be just an addition $20 to sort that out. Not a big deal in the long run.

Agree. That payee thing is a little silly in my opinion. Maybe calling and getting someone different might help.

As far as hotels, I've never booked a non refundable hotel so that could be a pain unless your insurance takes care of it.

That's the joy of having different prices to choose from on Carnival. To be nasty toward Carnival (or guests that choose an option you wouldn't) is just beyond ridiculous. Be happy there are different choices and choose what best suits you.