Solo travelling on Silversea

fraj1

Can anyone advise me as to how well Silversea cater for solo travellers?

Silversea cater extremely well for solo travellers. You'll be able to do as much or as little as you wish and will be invited to dine by various officers on board during your voyage, together with invites to the solo gatherings.

Sophia :)

I can only answer from the perspective of a couple watching and interacting with Silversea solo cruisers but my impression has been solo cruisers are treated well. I'll have to say a lot of this is due to the whole Silversea experience of smaller ships with corresponding smaller passenger loads. It's just a much more intimate cruising environment and we've gotten to know more fellow passengers in three Silversea cruises than a dozen cruises on larger ships. Couple that with what I perceive to be a very active staff and crew that interacts freely and openly with passengers and you have a great environment for solo cruisers. Of course the other ingredient is the solo cruiser and if they are open and willing to get out and about. :)

I can only answer from the perspective of a couple watching and interacting with Silversea solo cruisers but my impression has been solo cruisers are treated well. I'll have to say a lot of this is due to the whole Silversea experience of smaller ships with corresponding smaller passenger loads. It's just a much more intimate cruising environment and we've gotten to know more fellow passengers in three Silversea cruises than a dozen cruises on larger ships. Couple that with what I perceive to be a very active staff and crew that interacts freely and openly with passengers and you have a great environment for solo cruisers. Of course the other ingredient is the solo cruiser and if they are open and willing to get out and about. :)

I agree with all you say but will add one other possible observation.

I have never been a solo cruiser. However I suspect that the experiences of solo travellers are a touch more polarised. When they return to their suite there is neither someone to argue with or gossip with. So from their end of the telescope whilst they more want company they may fear being hostage to other things. I think their choice of whether they join in or stay solo is actually quite complicated. It isn't just whether they want company or not, It is how much for example they wish to risk being interrogated about their state of singledom or not etc. How much they wish to be a quiet observer or dragged in.

I think your comment about them joining in is right but I also think it would be lovelier if us duo travellers who are so inclined invite solo travellers to join, but let them make the pace if they do join in, if you get my drift.

:)

I've always been impressed that most Silversea passengers are warm, friendly people who have a great interest in meeting others on board, whether by striking up a conversation on an excursion or starting up a conversation at poolside. These conversations often lead to the suggestion, "Why don't we meet for dinner?"

I'd have to say this extends to both solo travelers and couples. Silversea is extremely inclusive in that respect. And as Zigtraveller suggests, asking to be seated at a group table in the restaurant is a very pleasant way to expand your social circle, particularly since the other people at these tables want to meet you!

Edited by Seafairer

Cruising solo on Silversea is like any other cruise line really. You have to be willing to say "hello", smile, make eye contact and join in conversations, even initiate them sometimes, and generally participate in the social life on board. You don't have to be pushy but if you stay holed up in your cabin or sit in a corner with your head buried in a book you probably won't enjoy the overall experience. Certainly accept any invitations to dine at a table hosted by an officer or crew member at the beginning of your trip at least so you get to know a few people straight away. Sure, you won't become friends for life with all of them, but there's usually one or two you'd be happy to have a coffee with or go on an excursion with later. Activities like trivia or bridge are a great way to meet people too. Basically you have to take the initiative which may seem a bit daunting if you are shy by nature but I promise it's worth making that small effort. I've cruised many times as a a couple and solo and the best ones were [whisper] when I was doing it solo.

• 4 weeks later...

Last year I did the crossing from Barcelona to Barbados on Silver Cloud alone. We had two gentlemen hosts. I have travelled solo on other lines and the Silversea experience is vastly superior. There was a cocktail party on our first night out, the gentlemen hosts were in the bar during the early evening to organise dinner tables so no-one had to dine alone. Other passengers were very warm and friendly - I was "adopted" by a number of couples so had dinner, breakfast and lunch companions. This, combined with the low single supplement made the solo experience on Silversea a winner.

Choose a voyage with gentlemen hosts - they do make a big difference. I also think the smaller ship size is good as on the large ships, you may meet nice, friendly people then never see them again!

However, my solo cruising days are over, as on the Cloud, I also met the love of my life and we are planning a future together.

Edited by SmartTraveller

Last year I did the crossing from Barcelona to Barbados on Silver Cloud alone. We had two gentlemen hosts. I have travelled solo on other lines and the Silversea experience is vastly superior. There was a cocktail party on our first night out, the gentlemen hosts were in the bar during the early evening to organise dinner tables so no-one had to dine alone. Other passengers were very warm and friendly - I was "adopted" by a number of couples so had dinner, breakfast and lunch companions. This, combined with the low single supplement made the solo experience on Silversea a winner.

Choose a voyage with gentlemen hosts - they do make a big difference. I also think the smaller ship size is good as on the large ships, you may meet nice, friendly people then never see them again!

However, my solo cruising days are over, as on the Cloud, I also met the love of my life and we are planning a future together.

How lovely that you met someone on board, hope you enjoy many more cruises and have a very happy future together.

I have no firm basis for this, but from my own experience, I would say 5-10 'genuine' singles people traveling on their own and in their own suite. And then at least 10 'singles': mother and daughter, father and son, sisters, two friends etc, who are sharing a suite.

If there is a low single supplement, there probably will be more singles on board. I believe SS has a pretty good idea about which cruises will attract more singles and that is the reason there are gentlemen hosts on certain itineraries. The gentlemen hosts we have met over the years have been delightful.

Silversea passengers tend to be very open and friendly, and singles are always a welcome addition to any dinner, trivia team or excursion.

Do not hesitate to travel on Silversea as a single. You will love it.

I have followed this thread with great interest. Maybe a difficult question but how many singles do you think there are on the average cruise? 1, 5, 10, 20?

Thanks Howard

I also can't say for sure. On our 14-day cruise there were somewhere around 8-10 singles, mostly ladies. On our next cruise, a 9-day, neither my wife or I were aware of any. On our next 9-day there was only one that we knew of. He was on a cruise that he and his wife had booked but she was unable to go because of health issues so the circumstances were a bit different than a true solo.

As a solo, I pick the cruises with the low single supp. and there's usually about 10 - 15 other solos, altho' I did do one TA when there were 30.

However, I often find that I end up friendly with a couple or a group so the actual number of solos doesn't matter - there's always such interesting, friendly people on board!

How lovely that you met someone on board, hope you enjoy many more cruises and have a very happy future together.

Thank you. We are both 63 so feel blessed to have found each other and have the opportunity to share this great love. The Cloud will always be special to us, as a result and we hope to sail again on her, soon.

However, when you meet someone on a ship, chances are they dont live around the corner so now we are juggling the logistics of creating a life together from two on different continents, 15000 km apart! We are getting there!

Thanks again for your kind wishes

Julie

I have followed this thread with great interest. Maybe a difficult question but how many singles do you think there are on the average cruise? 1, 5, 10, 20?

Thanks Howard

Hi Howard

Obviously, numbers vary but I dont think I have ever cruised solo where there has been less than 10 of us. However on the Transatlantic crossing on Silver Cloud the number was quite high - around 26 from a total of 219 passengers. 65% or so were female. Mixed nationalities.

Hope that helps

I am on the Spirit and I notice on the daily programs that at 7:00pm each day there is a gathering of solo passengers hosted by the international hostesses. I do not believe there are any gentlemen hosts aboard. This has been a terrific cruise with near-perfect weather, and I believe that all the passengers are having a good time. I know I am.

...now we are juggling the logistics of creating a life together from two on different continents, 15000 km apart!

A cynic might say that being 15000km apart is the perfect recipe for contentment!:p

I wouldn't; I find your story heartwarming and rather touching.