Would we feel out of place if we keep mostly to ourselves?

Aldeya

I agree. If you know you're going to dine less frequently in the MDR then don't choose a large table because it is unfair to those who wanted a six. The odd night, no problem, just courteously tell your table mates.

As you have stated elsewhere on this forum very recently, you have only ever travelled QG, so what would you know about dining in a Cunard MDR?

Many people in the MDR have not chosen their table size - they have been allocated to a table which may have 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10 people on it. It is common to see empty spaces at dinner as people wish to try alternative dining venues.

The only thing I agree with you on is to let your table mates know if you are going to dine elsewhere if at all possible.

As you have stated elsewhere on this forum very recently, you have only ever travelled QG, so what would you know about dining in a Cunard MDR?

Many people in the MDR have not chosen their table size - they have been allocated to a table which may have 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10 people on it. It is common to see empty spaces at dinner as people wish to try alternative dining venues.

The only thing I agree with you on is to let your table mates know if you are going to dine elsewhere if at all possible.

Sorry if I offended. I wasn't aware an actual restaurant had been established and the [my] MDR is the restaurant I'm assigned to as opposed to other eateries.

As for table allocation, choice or no choice, I responded to a post which in turn responded to a post from one who books a table for six but often elects to eat elsewhere. Choice of table size, not allocated and that was why I commented as I did.

I have no problem with that on a long cruise but on a shortish one, it seems a little unfair on the other four.

I hope that explanation is OK. :)

Oh boy, did I stir up a hornets nest! Of course we let our table mates know if we are planning to dine elsewhere. On two of the crossings, often the other couples dined elsewhere as well; on the last cruise everyone "clicked" the first night, and we all dined together, sometimes at one of the alternate restaurants.

We are very social and always request a table for ten so we are more likely to end up meeting new people we enjoy and won't feel uncomfortable if one couple is absent at dinner.

Actually we have discovered that the other people who request a table for ten are also very outgoing and friendly people who are looking forward to making new friends. People who would prefer to be alone, request a table for two. It's all good! ;)

Dinner mates are an important part of a cruise so I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to request a new table if we got stuck with duds.

We can be social and chatty on occasion, but overall prefer to spend time together. It wasn't a problem at all.

We found the MDR too noisy and crowded, even our two top had people sitting elbow to elbow with us. We just moved ourselves to The alternate dining option, Todd English on the QM2, and the Italian pop up one night, which for a reasonable cost gave us any time seating, as we chose, much nicer tables and far more attentive service.

Our waiters in the MDR stopped us once when we were passing thru to say they had missed us, but I think they were being polite and wanting an ided if we would be showing up again. We let them know that we would not and thanked them for their lovely service the night we had dined in the MDR. It wasn't their fault they were spread to thin among their tables and the sommelier in the area we were assigned to was ignorant.

As others have said, you can be as chatty or retiring as you choose, but if the MDR situation bothers you try the alternate route. It made a huge difference in our experience.

Dinner mates are an important part of a cruise so I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to request a new table if we got stuck with duds.

Or for others to leave if they thought you were duds presumably.

David.

Or for others to leave if they thought you were duds presumably. David.
This happened at a table for eight to which I was allocated some years ago.

On the first night all eight of us turned up, six British and an American couple. The conversation ranged over a very wide range of topics, but the couple kept bringing it back to domestic politics, esp. local issues concerning "Our State".

No matter what the subject (and the topics were mainly to do with past cruises and almost never about the UK), they would interject with "at home we've got this congressman (or) senator who...". We looked at them blankly, and had nothing to contribute. They tried to get us all to agree with their (often extreme, it seemed to me) viewpoint. They seemed surprised when none of us recognised the names of politicians they mentioned.

I tried to get them to talk about places around the world they'd visited, the ship itself, even the food, but with no success.

The second night the table was set for six, and stayed that way as they didn't reappear for the rest of the cruise.

They probably told their new table-mates about the six boring Brits who knew nothing and had no opinions on serious and important subjects.

Edited by pepperrn

I agree. If you know you're going to dine less frequently in the MDR then don't choose a large table because it is unfair to those who wanted a six. The odd night, no problem, just courteously tell your table mates.

If you ask for a table for two, will you get it every time?

• 2 weeks later...

My husband & I work very long hours during the year. We look forward to our Cunard cruise(s). We always request a table for 2. We love the entertainment & enrichment activities. We enjoy meeting new people but do spend a lot of our time alone. The good thing about cunard is there is so much to do & the ship is so big that you can join in when you want. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app ~ Kerry