Newbie Trying to Plan HoneyMoon Cruise

Triskett777

Hello,

I've never cruised before-ever. I need SO much advice!

1. Which cruise line should I go with? I hear age matters. My fiance is 28 and I am 23!

We got engaged this month, but have been together a total of four years.

We have never EVER been on a cruise before-either of us- but he wants to go so bad. Why not our honey moon? We aren't really the clubbing type though so I guess if the cruise like has that it won't appeal to us that much.

2. (I haven't set a date for a wedding) So I am trying to plan ahead if all goes well we will get married next year! Small wedding..I hope! So when is the best time to cruise? & The best time to snag a deal? How long in advance?

3. What is must have for cruiseing!

4. Any advice? All Advice welcome. Pl:Dease inform a super newbie who is trying to plan a beautiful honey moon!

I think most recommend Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL for people your ages. But I would not rule out MSC Divina, as they have some really good rates. It will be a whole new experience, with nothing to compare it with. So do not let people persuade you that you simply have to go on the biggest ship with the most WOW factor. Choose an itinerary of places you would like to visit. Price will depend on time of year. Holidays and summer are high season in the Caribbean. When kids are out of school and families can travel.

There is a honeymoon and wedding board here at CC, under Special Interest Cruising. You might look in there. EM

Welcome to Cruise Critic Triskett777 and congrats on your upcoming wedding:D!

I would highly recommend Royal Caribbean Cruise Line, these ships are dazzling, feature great food, very friendly passengers and top-notch crew.

Since you live in Florida why not sail out of Fort Lauderdale one of the largest cruise ports with an array of ships sailing each day.

On a cruise you sit with other people in the main dining room for dinner each night. Make sure you reserve a table for 8 people. Meeting your dinner companions and sharing your adventures with them each night is one of the highlights of cruising, don't miss it.

Try and book a 7 or 10-day cruise. If it's in your budget a balcony cabin is something you will love. There's nothing nicer than lounging in your own private sanctuary while your docked or anchored in a Caribbean port.

Royal Caribbean is geared toward families and has a very energetic atmosphere on board. Whether you like clubbing or not, you certainly will enjoy sipping a frozen cocktail at a beautiful lounge on board, there are many on Royal Caribbean.

Oasis and Allure are the newest and largest of the fleet. These are the ones with the hollowed interior boulevard called Central Park complete with trees and plants, plus merry-go-rounds, an enormous on board outdoor aquatic theater, zip-lining, simulated surf boarding, you name it.

Royal Caribbean packs a big wow every time you turn around you just can't help but, be mesmerized by these ships.

Royal Caribbean's Serenade and Navigator also sail from Fort Lauderdale, smaller than Allure (but, then everything else is really) but, equally as beautiful and exciting. Tons to do on board these vessels from rock climbing to trivia, ice skating to miniature golf and everything in between.

Princess also sails from Fort Lauderdale, the brand new Regal is a beautiful looking ship. Princess is very traditional there will be a formal night or two. Royal Caribbean is more relaxed but, 7-day cruises will also feature a formal night or two.

Check out http://www.shipparade.com for some terrific pictures of cruise ships. Do some research, figure out what ships feature the things you are interested in and book your cruise.

I think you would both love Royal Caribbean.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Congratulations on your engagement and upcoming wedding.

One thing you should know -- many ships leave the Caribbean starting in March and April to head to Alaska, Europe, Canada/New England, etc. and don't return until October and November.

So your choices are less if you plan a wedding and honeymoon for summer.

I would choose between RCI and Princess for your age group.

I'm sure your town has a travel agency. Pop in and have a talk with them....you don't need to book with them, but they can certainly give you info, and brochures, that can be very helpful in making your decision.

I would think RCI, Carnival or NCL would make a perfect honeymoon for folks your age. Plenty to do...a better price point than some other lines...

You have to understand that a cruise is simply a form of vacationing. There is no right or wrong way to vacation.

Also, when you book, book it in the names that are on your ID's...if you still have your maiden name on IDs, book all tickets in your maiden name! (When you change ID's to your married name, use your maiden name as your "middle" name... If you are Betty Smith and marry Mr. Jones, your married name should be Betty Smith Jones....it creates that "bridge" to your new name!)

Edited by cb at sea

The real question is: What is your budget? I did cruises on both my honeymoons, and RCI, Carnival, NCL never entered the equation, but they could for you. If you want the big, ritzy WOW, then go with the above mentioned lines. However, if you are not clubbers / party hardy people, and do not need water slides, rock climbing walls, ice rinks, etc. consider other lines, like Celebrity or Princess. Do not assume the price will be over the top either.

It's the person, not age that matters.

There is a "cover for every pot", you need to find yours.

Best wishes to you both.

Congratulations on your engagement!

I'm no cruising expert and my honeymoon was to a place 3 hours drive away from my house (long story).

But may I suggest you consider also the destination, it was already mentioned by some of those who replied, but if you live in Florida and are used to the beach, etc. then maybe a cruise to Alaska might offer something different. If you both love beaches and the sea, then Caribbean might be the way to go.

As a newbie cruiser myself, for a honeymoon, I would suggest no shorter than 4 nights cruise, if budget permits, but not too long either.

Consider also planning ahead, if you would want to be doing a lot of shore excursions or just stay on the boat. Shore excursions are actually additional cost, in some cases a lot of additional costs.

You have been together for 4 years, so at least you both know each other's likes and dislikes already, so it should be easy for you to plan ahead.

Oh, I guess does not need to be said, stay away from Disney themed cruises, unless you guys are into that, there will just be too much kids. I have 3 and they would love to be on those cruises, but I don't think it's for Honeymooners!

Hello,

I've never cruised before-ever. I need SO much advice!

1. Which cruise line should I go with? I hear age matters. My fiance is 28 and I am 23!

We got engaged this month, but have been together a total of four years.

We have never EVER been on a cruise before-either of us- but he wants to go so bad. Why not our honey moon? We aren't really the clubbing type though so I guess if the cruise like has that it won't appeal to us that much.

2. (I haven't set a date for a wedding) So I am trying to plan ahead if all goes well we will get married next year! Small wedding..I hope! So when is the best time to cruise? & The best time to snag a deal? How long in advance?

3. What is must have for cruiseing!

4. Any advice? All Advice welcome. Pl:Dease inform a super newbie who is trying to plan a beautiful honey moon!

If you are looking for people in your age group, then Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL are your best bets. However, these lines cater to young active people. That does not mean you have to spend time in the bars or disco.

Princess, Celebrity and HAL are not party hardy lines, and there will be a small group of people your age. But for the most part, you will find the people on these ships to be closer to your parents age than your age.

.T, forget the hastles of getting to Alaska. Went on cruise there 3 yrs. ago after one in 80s. It was a big bore with little glaciers. Go with a 7 night Caribbean out of Miami or FLL. Least expensive weeks to Caribbean start week after Thanksgiving through mid December.Ships will be decorated for Christmas too. Consider the big new ships of CCL and RCL mentioned here for best experience at your ages. Check out discount cruise agencies on line. Your corner travel agency cannot beat discounters volume pricing. You will have the same experience in Inside cabin or suite. I vote Inside.Suite costs double.

Hi Triskett777

Congratulations on your engagement and Welcome to Cruise Critic. You will find a lot of varying opinions here - keep in mind, they are opinions and everyone has their own!

I would encourage you to think about how much activity you want to do on your honeymoon. After planning your wedding and the possibly hectic weeks leading up to your I Dos, do you want to be in an atmosphere with a lot of activities where you won't want to spend a minute sitting down because there is so much to see and do while on the ship. (You will almost always have 1-2 Sea Days in any week-long Caribbean cruise.)

Or do you want some down time on a ship that has quiet spots where you won't hear the bands or the large movie screen during the day and music is not playing in every venue at night.

For dining - do you want a quiet table for two or do you want to dine with a group of people every night. Do you want to eat in the same dining room at the same time every night or do you want the option of different times each evening? Do you want to eat in specialty dining rooms that would add more cost to the cruise. Do you want to splurge on a suite and dine in your stateroom.

Do you and your fiancé have any strong interests that would make a "themed" cruise appealing.

Do you want your cruise to be immediately following your wedding, or would you be willing to put it off for a bit if you could get a better deal on the price for the itinerary that you want. Is walking onto the ship in your wedding attire important to both of you.

In addition to talking to travel agents and perusing various information threads here on Cruise Critic, consider going to the local library or bookstore and getting a few good books on cruising.

Whatever you decide, it will be wonderful, because any day spent on a cruise ship is far better than being anywhere else, in my opinion.:)

Edited by MarKay525

I agree with a lot that is written here.

You want at least a 7 day cruise- any longer will have a lot of older people.

shorter cruises are more party barges.

7 days (especially after a wedding) will be relaxing.

We have 26 cruises under our belt. Carnival is the line of choice because of the price.

Princess and Royal come in 2nd and 3rd for us. Tried NCL its not for us. THe rooms are smaller then what we are used to

Cruise cabins are not large like a hotel room. It serves its purpose though.

You will find the Eastern cruises to cost more then a Western cruise.

Might I suggest a look at Carnival newer ships

Dream, Splendor or the Breeze (vista is the newest)

when looking at cabins becareful of whats over or under you.

You want a cabin between cabin space and away from public areas. You do not want to be under a Galley. or a show lounge.

or the pool for that matter as you will hear the scrappings of chairs.

Being close to the elevators is a good thing. I LOVE my cabin on the empress deck as close to the aft elevator as possible -- puts me two decks up for food and pools down two decks for entertainment