Newbie Introduction

mikemcc11

My wife, myself, and 2 other couples from Massillon, Ohio are taking a our 1st cruise Jan 7, 2107 on RC Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean. We have port of calls in Labadee, San Juan, St Kitts, and St Maarten. We are super excited. I have been reading the forums here and have learned a ton. Now I am going crazy waiting for our cruise date. We would love any advice, links, warnings...actually any wisdom you could impart to us novice cruisers. Thank you.

Welcome aboard. I'm betting this first cruise won't be your last. So don't feel you have to do EVERYTHING - find time to relax. :D

If you haven't already done so check out the Royal Caribbean area here on CC and also the Caribbean ports area for more specific info on your ship and ports.

Have a great time.

My wife, myself, and 2 other couples from Massillon, Ohio are taking a our 1st cruise Jan 7, 2107 on RC Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean. We have port of calls in Labadee, San Juan, St Kitts, and St Maarten. We are super excited. I have been reading the forums here and have learned a ton. Now I am going crazy waiting for our cruise date. We would love any advice, links, warnings...actually any wisdom you could impart to us novice cruisers. Thank you.

Welcome to an addicting vacation. I was going to suggest joining your roll call but I see you already did that.

At first I was really impressed that you booked so far out - I mean 2107 is really planning ahead. :)

Hope you enjoy cruising as much as us. Just relax and go with the flow.

Hello (almost) neighbor! We're just around the corner and down the street from you here in Columbus. Our first cruise was many moons ago on the Grandeur of the Seas. No matter how much reading you do, or how many people you talk to, or how many episodes of "The Love Boat" you've seen, nothing can prepare you for the adrenalin rush you'll get from going on your very first cruise.;) Some pieces of advice I would like to offer. As you well know, the winter weather in January here in Ohio can be a bit brutal at times. If at all possible, make plans to fly out the day before your cruise. You wouldn't want to miss embarkation day because your flight was delayed due to bad weather. Have the post office put your mail on hold until you get back. Offer to pay someone (relative, friend, neighbor) to shovel your driveway and a path to your door so you don't have to deal with it when you come back home. Take an extra memory card (or two) for your camera, because you'll probably take a ton of photos. Once on board, relax, let the staff spoil you a bit, and have a great time.:)

Hello (almost) neighbor! We're just around the corner and down the street from you here in Columbus. Our first cruise was many moons ago on the Grandeur of the Seas. No matter how much reading you do, or how many people you talk to, or how many episodes of "The Love Boat" you've seen, nothing can prepare you for the adrenalin rush you'll get from going on your very first cruise.;) Some pieces of advice I would like to offer. As you well know, the winter weather in January here in Ohio can be a bit brutal at times. If at all possible, make plans to fly out the day before your cruise. You wouldn't want to miss embarkation day because your flight was delayed due to bad weather. Have the post office put your mail on hold until you get back. Offer to pay someone (relative, friend, neighbor) to shovel your driveway and a path to your door so you don't have to deal with it when you come back home. Take an extra memory card (or two) for your camera, because you'll probably take a ton of photos. Once on board, relax, let the staff spoil you a bit, and have a great time.:)

Unless you live in a very small community where the postal person(s) is(are), well known to you, never put a hold on your mail. Doing so basically sends a message to "strangers" (and their friends) that you will not be home during very specific dates. Have a friend/relative collect your mail.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I hope your cruise vacation exceeds your expectations. My advise would be to slow down and enjoy the vacation. There will be so many things to do and it is impossible to do them all. Additionally you will be exhausted should you try. Pick a few things each day that you think you would enjoy doing. When they time comes to do them, if you feel like doing it go. If you're enjoying what your currently doing, do go. I always needed a vacation from my vacation after my first few cruises. Now I arrive home relaxed, yet fulfilled.

Just remember. You are not tied at the hip. Everyone needs the freedom to do whatever they want at their own pace. Maybe dinner together to catch up with each other. Maybe collective tours. Some may want to dine in the resturant. Some may prefer the buffet. Some may want to dine at a different time. Nobody should feel obligated to others 'just because'. Keep it light and all will go well.

My wife and I have developed a great way for us. I am up very early and the wife gets up later. We may run into each other after I have had breakfast or lunch. We will join each other at that time I will have a cup of coffee, a juice or maybe a roll and, discuss what we will be doing that day. Maybe a tour together or at sea, whatever.

We always have dinner together and what we have done that day lends to the communication. We both come home refreshed from our semi togetherness vacation. Of course, our next cruise is in celebration of 56 years of being married. That may have something to do with it. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I agree with BeachBum...enjoy getting out of the Ohio cold, fellow Buckeye! (Although we have now transplanted to Texas.) We are heading out for our second cruise in June -- looking forward to the second since we have a better idea of how things work, and what all of our options are. You are doing yourself a favor by looking over CC reviews and tips.

Don't worry about trying to do or remember or try everything...your cruise compass and a highlighter can be your best friend if you want to always schedule something to fill your time...or you can just roll with it. What works for someone else may not work for you, so enjoy the fact that you have options....and have a great time!