Which itinerary

teamflames

Hi

We are looking at 2 different ncl itineraries. One is Vancouver to Anchorage and the other is vice versa. The itineraries are the same except southern route does icy point while the northern does glacier bay cruising the other difference is the southern does a half day in Juneau and half at tracy arm while northern only does full day in Juneau. Both do Hubbard , Ketchikan and Skagway .

Is there a preference on north or south travel?

Which of the minor differences in itinerary do people prefer (the total time on shore is the same)?

Ideally I would like to take the southern route as I want to end in Vancouver but would go the other way if it is a preferable itinerary.

Thanks for input

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I don't feel that only the north should be chosen, which is being posted above. I've sailed both itineraries on NCL and BOTH are superb. With the south, Hoonah is worth the stop for me. And so is Tracy Arm- with the NCL add on excursion.

Alaska isn't all about "Glacier Bay". I get slammed and get accused of being able to do "lessor" trips because I'm there frequently, which is totally absurd thinking. I want top trips- AND get them EVERY time I'm there. It's made to sound like you aren't going to get to Hubbard or Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, the majority of the time, which is NOT true. A good number of ships do. As I mention- I do find it "necessary" to purchase the add on Tracy Arm excursion. It is superior to the cruise ship sailing.

You already have a preference for south. Think carefully for yourself, what you really want to choose.

The problem with these types of questions is that until you have done both for yourself, you will not really know which is best for you. The main thing is to go and enjoy your trip, which you can do with either itinerary.

Lots of folks prefer Glacier Bay to Tracy Arm. To present a different point of view, I preferred Tracy Arm. The reason is that when I took the small boat excursion I could get in closer to a glacier and closer to the land in general. The cruise ship is too big to get in close. That made a difference for me. On the other hand it seems I never have enough time in Juneau, and I see that if you choose Tracy Arm, you have less time there.

My advice is that if the southern trip fits your plans better, go for it. You will have a spectacular trip no matter which you choose. If you still have difficulty, make ONE thing your priority, and choose the itinerary that best fits that one thing.

The problem with these types of questions is that until you have done both for yourself, you will not really know which is best for you. The main thing is to go and enjoy your trip, which you can do with either itinerary.

Lots of folks prefer Glacier Bay to Tracy Arm. To present a different point of view, I preferred Tracy Arm. The reason is that when I took the small boat excursion I could get in closer to a glacier and closer to the land in general. The cruise ship is too big to get in close. That made a difference for me. On the other hand it seems I never have enough time in Juneau, and I see that if you choose Tracy Arm, you have less time there.

My advice is that if the southern trip fits your plans better, go for it. You will have a spectacular trip no matter which you choose. If you still have difficulty, make ONE thing your priority, and choose the itinerary that best fits that one thing.

Thanks to you and everyone for all the great insights. As we have to fly from the USA and our next destination is a road trip from Vancouver it just makes sense to fly once to Anchorage and then sail south.

Alternatively we could do a b2b but that would mean reducing a week off either our USA or our Canada road trips. It would also mean not having anytime in Anchorage.

From what others have told me it is worth having a few land days to do Denali ... do others agree? If so do people usually stay in Denali or do day trips?

Thanks again for all the wonderful input everyone

As we have to fly from the USA and our next destination is a road trip from Vancouver it just makes sense to fly once to Anchorage and then sail south.

Makes sense to me. This is similar to how we chose our first cruise - based on travel logistics.

From what others have told me it is worth having a few land days to do Denali ... do others agree? If so do people usually stay in Denali or do day trips?

Lots of threads on Denali if you read the other posts. We were on a cruisetour when we did Denali so we stayed in the Princess lodge. Denali is not close to Anchorage. Allow one full day to get there and one full day to get back to Anchorage. You also want at least one full day in Denali. Two would be better. You'll be staying outside the park and will need to take a shuttle bus or purchase a bus tour to see Denali. Private vehicles are not allowed inside the park. If you read some posts, you will find strong opinions on shuttle bus vs. bus tour. Our priority was going all the way to the end of the road that runs through the park, so we opted for the bus tour. It is 12hrs long, but the time just flew. I loved this tour and would not hesitate to repeat it, but others feel differently. If you don't get many replies here, you may wish to start a new thread.

Enjoy your trip!:)

Thanks to you and everyone for all the great insights. As we have to fly from the USA and our next destination is a road trip from Vancouver it just makes sense to fly once to Anchorage and then sail south.

Alternatively we could do a b2b but that would mean reducing a week off either our USA or our Canada road trips. It would also mean not having anytime in Anchorage.

Thanks again for all the wonderful input everyone

Denali is well worth the time investment. You need 2 overnights there if at all possible. I'm a strong advocate of taking a shuttle bus to at least Eielson. Plenty of places to stay near the park entrance. Only place to stay in the park is at Kantishna. I usually stay in Healy which is quieter and less busy than Glitter Gulch with all the tour buses. :) Cheaper too. :) You do need a rental car.

Details- http://www.nps.gov/dena http://www.reservedenali.com

Denali is well worth the time investment. You need 2 overnights there if at all possible. I'm a strong advocate of taking a shuttle bus to at least Eielson. Plenty of places to stay near the park entrance. Only place to stay in the park is at Kantishna. I usually stay in Healy which is quieter and less busy than Glitter Gulch with all the tour buses. :) Cheaper too. :) You do need a rental car.

Details- http://www.nps.gov/dena http://www.reservedenali.com

Thanks portie and bq, your responses are so helpful.

We have booked flights to Anchorage and have 5 days before cruise so should be able to do a couple of days in Denali. Is it also worth doing things in Anchorage/Seward?

BQ do you recommend a particular place in Healy and a hire car co.?

Looks like campervan are very expensive as is the accommodations so will just have to suck it up but am sure it is all worth it.

Trying to do as much research as possible but also have road trips in California and southern USA and 2 cruises!! First world problems and obviously enjoyable but so much information to dissect [emoji1]

Anchorage has a very good museum - that's worth a visit (I've been to the museum when in Anchorage on business so I can personally recommend that - our Alaska cruise is this summer so the rest is from what I've read or researched but haven't done yet). There is also Tony Knowles Costal Trail - they say one can often see moose on part of the trail. There is an I-Max theater if you are into that. There are other nature areas that can be visited near Anchorage.

Top things in Seward are Exit Glacier, Alaska Sealife Center and a boat trip to Kenai Fjords (wildlife and glaciers). The trip from Anchorage to Seward (by train, bus or car) is quite scenic.

We are going to take the train from Seward to Anchorage and then rent a car round trip from Anchorage for visiting Denali and Fairbanks.

Is it also worth doing things in Anchorage/Seward?

BQ do you recommend a particular place in Healy and a hire car co.?

[emoji1]

OK- first, I am a basic "Motel 6" type of traveler. clean and location are what's important to me, only. :) I very much like the Denali Park Hotel in Healy and stay there most frequently. Always very satisfied and business has remained the "same", with what I get there, at least for the around 10 years I've been staying there. http://www.denaliparkhotel.com/

There are multiple other lodgings that are well run and can offer similar. http://www.denalichamber.com/denali-member-directory/

check out activities- http://www.anchorage.net http://www.seward.com

I don't feel that only the north should be chosen, which is being posted above. I've sailed both itineraries on NCL and BOTH are superb. With the south, Hoonah is worth the stop for me. And so is Tracy Arm- with the NCL add on excursion.

Alaska isn't all about "Glacier Bay". I get slammed and get accused of being able to do "lessor" trips because I'm there frequently, which is totally absurd thinking. I want top trips- AND get them EVERY time I'm there. It's made to sound like you aren't going to get to Hubbard or Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, the majority of the time, which is NOT true. A good number of ships do. As I mention- I do find it "necessary" to purchase the add on Tracy Arm excursion. It is superior to the cruise ship sailing.

You already have a preference for south. Think carefully for yourself, what you really want to choose.

Hey BQ , I am looking at all my excursions now that I have booked the southern route. I can't see any mention of this tracy arm excursion add on via the ncl website?

How does it normally work?

My TA says we are in Juneau from 7to 1pm with tracy arm cruising afterwards.

Ncl just says Juneau from 7am with no departure time ... hopelessly confused