Cabin Types

I'm sure this is somewhere here already but here goes again: is there somewhere that sets out the difference in cabin categories? How am I to choose between an E3 and a D6, for example? Ta muchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm sure this is somewhere here already but here goes again: is there somewhere that sets out the difference in cabin categories? How am I to choose between an E3 and a D6, for example? Ta muchy.

Each ship has a stateroom description page. Here is an example for Oasis:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/home.do?br=R&shipCode=OA&shipName=Oasis+Of+The+Seas

E's are smaller than D's. All E's are the same size and all D's are the same size...the number designation simply means location or number of beds....you can check the deck plans to see what type of bedding is in each cabin. Some only sleep 2...some sleep 3 or 4 with either a sofa bed, or pullman beds...or both!

The deck plans also show the sq. footage of each type of cabin. ALWAYS have the deck plans in front of you when booking!!!

Edited by cb at sea

Ta muchy?!?!?!? :confused:

I know of no ship that has both E3 and D6. What ship are you considering?

If that was just meant to be "random" ideas, then here is my best answer.

E is smaller than D.

In most instances, the size difference is in the depth of the cabin from door to balcony wall. They are usually the same width, side to side.

The number often has to do with the number of berths.

On a Voyager or Freedom or Radiance class ship, for example, a D1 will accommodate up to 4. A D2 or D3 will have berths only for two. Same with E.

E3 cabins are often in less desirable locations or have weird or abbreviated balconies.

On Quantum and Oasis class ships, all D CABINS are the same size. Again, number of berths will vary. D1 have much larger balconies on these classes. Some categories will be connecting cabins.

Edited by Merion_Mom

Oops on my "ta muchy", forgot the L. No, not mulchy either.

Well spotted that I'm comparing different ships. The actual conundrum being:

Radiance of the Seas

06 January – 14 nights

Category E3 Balcony Stateroom.

Ovation of the Seas

09 January – 14 nights

Category D6 Balcony Stateroom.

Maybe the stateroom difference is so negligible that I should focus on the rest of the ship, given the difference in class. Itinerary wise the difference is clockwise versus anti-clockwise around New Zealand, and Dusky Sound versus Milford Sound.

E smaller than D is v useful to know. Thanks.

I think most ships have superior balconies and deluxe balconies. The superior is larger than the deluxe. While it may not seems like much, we can really tell the difference.

Junior Suites and up are larger, but also get double reward points.

We've had a couple of Concierge Class rooms (Balcony w/ Benefits) on Celebrity, and after getting used to Junior Suites, it was a shock!

The Junior suites are often a little smaller than a standard hotel room. Basically, until you get up to the Royal Family Suites, all staterooms are basically one big or not so big room. But you do get a lot of nice sitting areas in the public rooms.

With all the balconies, you get those wonderful floor to ceiling windows. We love ordering room service breakfast during scenic cruising days. Even if it's too cold to go out much, it's still wonderful to sit in the room and watch.

On land in Quebec, our window looked out into a brick wall.

Edited by knittinggirl

... Maybe the stateroom difference is so negligible that I should focus on the rest of the ship, given the difference in class. Itinerary wise the difference is clockwise versus anti-clockwise around New Zealand, and Dusky Sound versus Milford Sound. ...

I agree with this. I would not choose a cruise on the basis of the difference between a "D" and "E" type balcony stateroom. The difference is small to me.

Edited by clarea

Oops on my "ta muchy", forgot the L. No, not mulchy either.

Well spotted that I'm comparing different ships. The actual conundrum being:

Radiance of the Seas

06 January – 14 nights

Category E3 Balcony Stateroom.

Ovation of the Seas

09 January – 14 nights

Category D6 Balcony Stateroom.

Maybe the stateroom difference is so negligible that I should focus on the rest of the ship, given the difference in class. Itinerary wise the difference is clockwise versus anti-clockwise around New Zealand, and Dusky Sound versus Milford Sound.

E smaller than D is v useful to know. Thanks.

You should be comparing Radiance to Ovation, not E balcony to D balcony. There's an enormous difference between those two ships.

• 2 weeks later...

Need opinions please...

I'm trying to decide whether a Deluxe Balcony Guarantee on Freedom for myself, DH, and our 2 kids (ages 9 and 11) will be sufficient or if we need to do 2 connecting cabins. We could do a D1 for all 4 of use but the would be higher than the 2 connecting.

For the 2 connecting, I could get 9696 which is an inside and 9701 which is a balcony that is very aft (not aft facing).

Am I crazy to try to squeeze all 4 of us into an Deluxe (E)? I know it'll be very cramped and would want the bed put back each morning until turndown. Just not sure if it's worth the savings.

Need opinions please...

I'm trying to decide whether a Deluxe Balcony Guarantee on Freedom for myself, DH, and our 2 kids (ages 9 and 11) will be sufficient or if we need to do 2 connecting cabins. We could do a D1 for all 4 of use but the would be higher than the 2 connecting.

For the 2 connecting, I could get 9696 which is an inside and 9701 which is a balcony that is very aft (not aft facing).

Am I crazy to try to squeeze all 4 of us into an Deluxe (E)? I know it'll be very cramped and would want the bed put back each morning until turndown. Just not sure if it's worth the savings.

I'd want the two bathrooms and increased privacy of the connecting staterooms.

Yes, those are two very good reasons to go with the connecting! Our last 3 sailing have been in connecting and it was great to have the extra space without having to spring for a JS or higher. The difference in price between the balcony guarantee and the 2 connecting is almost $1000...so I have to figure out if it's really worth it or not for this cruise.

We could also do 2 promenade connecting which is $500 less than the inside/balcony connecting rooms. I know my kids would love the promenade rooms...but not sure I'll love it!

Edited by tropiclvrs

Are the Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony that much larger and better than a regular a Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony?

Second, question are the Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony on Deck Ten (10) Forward larger and is there a lot of motion in the Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony? We are looking at 10144 and 10132.

Need opinions please...

This is a very "famous" cabin pair, and you should DEFINITELY grab it!

Are the Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony that much larger and better than a regular a Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony?

Second, question are the Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony on Deck Ten (10) Forward larger and is there a lot of motion in the Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony? We are looking at 10144 and 10132.

Which ship? Oasis class? Quantum class?