What is the average age of PG clientele?

brownsc

We are in our mid forties and considering a PG cruise- Society Islands, Cook Islands, Tonga & Fiji | 13-night. I am interested in inderstanding the age demographic of the clientele. Would we be in the average age group?

MotuIslander, obviously going on your ninth you have enjoyed the experience and atmosphere. Any advice or experiences you can share on being in the younger category? My wife is concerned that we would be out of place.

We went in the summer when Jean-Michel Cousteau was on board and they were doing the Ambassadors of the Environment program so there were a few more "younger" people on board than what I would imagine a regular cruise would be. That said, most were in their 50s or 60s. There were quite a few of us in our 30s (I was 32 and my husband was 33), some in their 20s, and lots in their 40s. We had an amazing time and loved talking with everyone no matter what age they were. We never felt out of place.

Don't let concern over ages prevent you from taking that trip. It sounds wonderful. My wife and I are mid forties and there were plenty of other folks in our age range, younger, and older. Most of the older crowd were very active people and we never felt out of place or out of touch.

At best, you will enjoy the great mix of people aboard, at worst you will enjoy 13 nights sailing through paradise and enjoy the time with your wife.

MotuIslander, obviously going on your ninth you have enjoyed the experience and atmosphere. Any advice or experiences you can share on being in the younger category? My wife is concerned that we would be out of place.

Well "as I remember" on being young on the PG (I will have to ask my wife):

Seriously, I would NOT worry about being in the wrong crowd. I have felt that way on on Crystal cruise, and to some degree on a segment of a world cruise on Regent. I have never (and we have sailed the PG over a period of almost 14 years) felt that way on the Gauguin.

There are LOTS of things for 'younger' folks to do. There is snorkeling and diving a plenty. Kayaking, wind-surfing and LOTS of on shore adventures to take part in. Lots of good food and drink.

When, a number of years ago now, the PG switched to included alcohol, it didn't increase the poor behavior one bit. but it DID bring many more people to the public areas. I LOVE this about the pg. We don't spend ANY time in our cabins except to sleep.

It has been mentioned already how easy it is to mix with other passengers on the Gauguin. This amazed me at first, but now we have jumped in with both feet! When we dine in L'etoile, we always tell the maitre d' that we would love to join others a larger table. As a result of dinner conversations, we have met MANY interesting people that have been really great to spend time with on the ship and several that are now life-long friends. We have sailed again with some of these folks and even visited them at their homes.

OK so I am a PG cheerleader! I LOVE this ship!:o

Edited by MotuIslander

If you are looking at the Oct. cruise, we are on it. The problem with asking about age of people on the cruise is age is only a number. We were on a different cruise line earlier this year and the mentality of the people was in their 80's even though there actual age was probably in their 50's. We found the PG people to be much younger mentally. No one there really care about your age... Just if are you nice and can enjoy yourself

Us? My husband is 74 going on 12. I am 63 going on 45.

"Average" age would be weird! Honeymooners + legacy anniversaries = an avg age of 35- 45, but that may be the least represented age on board!! We went in October, a popular wedding month. On our cruise there were many late 20 and 30's yo honeymooners (and one set of honeymooners in their 70's) many "anniversary" couples (gay and straight) celebrating 20, 25, 30, 40 years of marriage. Most of those folks were in their late 40's (like us) 50's or 60's. We found on our Oct cruise had very few married couples with kids in their 30's and early 40's (prime child rearing years, because not many can really wiggle away from little kids for 10 days to 2 weeks) We met very few 70 + I think the distance is a challenge for most, but there were a handful of 50-60 year married couples on board. In general due to the sports platform and excellent scuba program, most of the folks we sailed with were very active people, in spite of age!

We are in our 50's and were about in the middle of the age curve in our PG cruise. Some (not many) 20's, a few kids, some 30's, lot's of 40's through 60's, some 70's. The older people were overall quite active.

The person I saw with the biggest activity restrictions would be a morbidly obese (+/- 400 pounds) woman who looked to be in her 40's who seemed to spend most of her time chain smoking in the aft deck outside the lounge that served Continental breakfast each morning. (Sorry I can't recall the name of it.)

People of all ages definitely used the stairs more than the elevators, and we had a couple of 70 year olds snorkeling with us one day. :)

In my 6 cruise, 14-year, experience on the PG, the age demographic really varies with the time of year, and luck. I was 52 when I first cruised her, and felt quite at home. Oldest skew was when we had large Grand Circle and Vantage Travel contingents onboard, but they were quite fun anyways. Youngest was when we went at Easter one year, and there were families with children. Our latest trip, in September, was just about right for you I think, with young middle-aged predominantly. So we now skew on the older side, but we get along with everyone, of all ages.

In my 6 cruise, 14-year, experience on the PG, the age demographic really varies with the time of year, and luck. I was 52 when I first cruised her, and felt quite at home. Oldest skew was when we had large Grand Circle and Vantage Travel contingents onboard, but they were quite fun anyways. Youngest was when we went at Easter one year, and there were families with children. Our latest trip, in September, was just about right for you I think, with young middle-aged predominantly. So we now skew on the older side, but we get along with everyone, of all ages.

We too had an older demographic when the grand circle folks were in charge!

We were 50 on our first PG cruise and like Wendy now skew on the older side at 61.

I don't mind an older demographic as long as those folks do not project age entitlement. That's what I like about Regent, PG and Crystal. Age is just a number and we have dined with some wonderful older folks on cruises even when we were just 40 or so.

Edited by Emdee

We were 50 on our first PG cruise and like Wendy now skew on the older side at 61.

I don't mind an older demographic as long as those folks do not project age entitlement. That's what I like about Regent, PG and Crystal. Age is just a number and we have dined with some wonderful older folks on cruises even when we were just 40 or so.

Age entitlement? You mean like "I get to go first because I'm older" even though they have no infirmary and others had already been waiting?

I have no problem steeping aside to allow someone with an obvious mobility issue go first (unless they are in a wheelchair or on a scooter, in which case they can wait with the rest of us) but just because they have a few years on me--not going to happen.

I never felt like they were "in charge", although their tour guides might have thought so. NOt sure what you mean by "age entitlement". I've never experienced anything like that.

It's a few years now but I was told by someone on O that we were too young to be cruising and should wait until we were retired!

Also in vantage times Once on board the ATN flight to Tahiti I asked DD to help two older ladies hoist their bag up to the baggage compartment for them. Halfway through the flight they asked me to wake her up to help them though she was fast asleep! It was not even politely requested but demanded. I felt it was an attitude of age entitlement. On that same cruise we met two other older ladies...late seventies... And they were just the opposite. We hung out with them at the BB Motu and that's when we met Tattoo Boy and Mrs Tattoo.

• 3 months later...

I guess my DW and I will fit in age wise at 59 and 60. Age is not the demographic I was curious about. Looking at the TV segment on the PG cruises, to me, it looked like a ship full of CEO's and retired entrepreneurs! My wife and I are just plain folk, nearing retirement from our jobs. We carry ourselves with dignity and respect, and are at home in any social situation. I just get weary with people whose first question after the introductions is "so.....what do you do?"

I guess my DW and I will fit in age wise at 59 and 60. Age is not the demographic I was curious about. Looking at the TV segment on the PG cruises, to me, it looked like a ship full of CEO's and retired entrepreneurs! My wife and I are just plain folk, nearing retirement from our jobs. We carry ourselves with dignity and respect, and are at home in any social situation. I just get weary with people whose first question after the introductions is "so.....what do you do?"

I think only once did anyone ask what we did....our third PG cruise. Otherwise we have just sailed by with friendly people. Because of the price point you will most likely find some amount of people who are comfortably off but for others it is a never to be repeated trip of a lifetime.

Honestly of the whole repeaters group from last year's cruise more than 45 people I can say I only know what 2 or three couples did or do. This is because we have cruised with them before or because we have had extended writings/ cc conversations with them over the years.

I have no hesitation in saying that dignity and respect will be more appreciated by PG travellers than Celebrity status!

I think only once did anyone ask what we did....our third PG cruise. Otherwise we have just sailed by with friendly people. Because of the price point you will most likely find some amount of people who are comfortably off but for others it is a never to be repeated trip of a lifetime.

Honestly of the whole repeaters group from last year's cruise more than 45 people I can say I only know what 2 or three couples did or do. This is because we have cruised with them before or because we have had extended writings/ cc conversations with them over the years.

I have no hesitation in saying that dignity and respect will be more appreciated by PG travellers than Celebrity status!

Thank you.

I:) agree with dustland - just back a couple of weeks ago- more about the experience and participating in the various excursions - when your having a drink on board with friends and sharing the day.. everyone is equal............S-stuff-55

Our PG cruise last year was so wonderful - due in large part to the exceptional, warm and welcoming cruise mates we had. Don't hesitate to book. We thought that it would be a "do it once" type of vacation, but because it was so extraordinary, we will be planning and looking forward to sailing again on the PG.