Key West and excursions...

Maybug7

It depends on what you mean by "excursions." Several of the better ones do not fit the time slot for many cruise ship passengers: Danger Charters all-day trip, for example. It boards at 9:30 and returns between 4:00 and 4:30, so that's out. A half day flight out to the Tortugas might be do-able, time-wise, but doing it is chancy.

But people do jet skis, parasails, day sails, one of the Hop-on/Hop-off trolley tours or the Conch Train to get a sense of the island. And you could even rent bikes and hit a few places which might be more difficult to get to on foot. The botanical garden on Higgs Beach, for example. And there are a few self-guided walking tours you can follow. The Pelican Path tour of historic houses.

Pjk

Some people do excursions through the cruise line but often you can do them on your own.

We will walk around town and we do visit some of the sites.

This includes visiting the Little White House (admission fee) which was used from time to time by President Harry Truman and we also have visited the Hemingway House (also an admission free).

Keith

Our only other port is CocoCay....it seems like it is missed A Lot so I'm wondering about doing more of the beach you types thing a while in key west (snorkeling, parasailing, ect)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

For me (well, us - wife and I) KW is one of the few ports where we can just get off the ship and wander and enjoy the destination. Many other cruise ports have an artificial cruise ship port area and exiting the port into the real destination doesn't always put you were you want to be wandering (I'm looking at you Falmouth, Jamaica). Or there just isn't anything outside the port area and you need transportation to get anywhere.

FYI. Anyone who may be interested in the City View Tolley, Groupon currently has 50% off their deal. By using code 50NOW, I was able to purchase tickets for 2 adults for $19 total. Promo code ends tomorrow 4/20, but tickets are good for 180 days from purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

We had an extended stay in Key West the 1st time there due to engine trouble. Since we missed Belize we booked a snorkel excursion in Key West, in addition to just walking around. We go back in December and just plan on a few bars, lunch and walking.

My Grandson was born in Key West, while his Dad was stationed there.We haven't been back for several years now, but we booked a cruise specifically because it stopped in Key West. We're going to take either the Hop On/Hop off or the Conch train. Even though we are familiar with Key West, we are taking a friend of his. She's never been to Key West and we want her to be able to see the high spots of Key West. It's easy to stop and spend time in your favorite spots, then move on again.

• 6 months later...

We are just off the Brilliance and didn't plan anything for our 11:30 to 5:00 stop in KW. I wish we had. We did not do well following the map we had, the streets we not well marked. If I had it to do over, I would try the hop on/off thing. The only reason we didn't was because I was afraid I might get motion sickness. We enjoyed walking around but feel like we missed out seeing some of the points of interest.