Hey 138East - more NYC advice?

Clay Clayton

You have provided such good advice in the past and I am hoping you will do so again.

1. Finally got our air booked for our April cruise so I would like to figure out our airport hotel transportation. Our Delta flight is scheduled to land at 12:34 pm on 4/18 and we need to get to the Park Hyatt (can you say Thank You Hyatt Credit Card for the 2 free nights!) as quickly as possible so we can checkin and get settled and changed prior to heading to see Bette in Hello Dolly! (please please don't let her decide to sit out the last Saturday night preview performance). We have always done a taxi from LGA before but wondering if Carmel or one of the other car services might not be a better start to what unfortunately had become a "luxe" vacation. How is UBER from the airports? Any thoughts you have other than taking the bus and subway will be appreciated!

2. Suggestions on a good pre-theater dinner near the Shubert for four? Preferably something not too touristy....I am sure that is pretty much impossible near the theaters but one can hope. Cusine isn't important, price isn't critical but would prefer to keep it under $75-100 pp.

3. Trying to decide between Butter and Sylvia's for brunch on Sunday....there will be at least six of us if that makes any difference in your advice. If there is someplace else that only you NYC locals know about, would love to hear about them.

4. Planning on getting tickets to the 911 museum for Monday. Care to take a stab at what am time I should aim for, knowing we don't want to add to rush hour on the subway?

Thanks so much!

I'm not Carol but I can try to help:

1) I'd recommend Carmel or Dial 7. I don't trust Uber (your mileage may vary) and I think those two services are more likely to give you a quality experience than a cab. It's rare that a lead skips a preview as they are trying to get everything perfect, so only if Bette is ill would she miss your show. Personally, I'd rather see the alternate but that's me.

2) In that area I'd suggest dinner closer to your hotel instead of the theater district. Robert and Quality Meats are two we've loved, Quality Italian is the same folks as Quality Meats and is also well regarded. If you want to be closer to the theater, we love Becco, and Southern Hospitality is always good and well priced (and more casual than the others). Reservations required for all of these.

3) We've only done Sylvia's and I think you should do it once if you've never done it. You'll need a reservation!

4) depends on when you can get up in the morning. On a weekday I'd allow 45 minutes from hotel to security entrance there.

I'm going to disagree on eating near the hotel for one reason. The restaurants in the theater district know how to get you out in time for your show no problem. You tell them you're going to a show and bam they make sure you have your meal and check with plenty of time to spare. Plus no stress getting to theater because you're only a couple of blocks away. If you narrow down your cuisine I think it might be helpful. Are you steak and potatoes? Sushi? Seafood? Greek? The choice is endless.

That said, Barbetta on theater row offers a wonderful value in their pre theater menu. It's not touristy, but old world style

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For a real NY experience and now that Carnegie Deli has closed: after your visit to the 9-11 museum grab a cab (or Uber) and have lunch at Katz's deli. http://www.katzsdelicatessen.com/ Actually, the only lunch to have there is a pastrami sandwich with mustard. Sit at the tables where you get the food yourself. Part of the experience. Order your sandwich and the guy behind the counter will give you a sample as he assembles your sandwich. There's a tip jar on the counter.

Enjoy!

For a real NY experience and now that Carnegie Deli has closed: after your visit to the 9-11 museum grab a cab (or Uber) and have lunch at Katz's deli. http://www.katzsdelicatessen.com/ Actually, the only lunch to have there is a pastrami sandwich with mustard. Sit at the tables where you get the food yourself. Part of the experience. Order your sandwich and the guy behind the counter will give you a sample as he assembles your sandwich. There's a tip jar on the counter.

Enjoy!

I need to finally try Katz, since I was going to Carnegie every year at least once ( still miss Stage deli also) , Junior's on 44st and Broadway is pretty good and that at least is walking distance to our hotel.

Hi Clay,

You are getting good advice from the folks who know NYC.

As far as the 911 museum goes, you should be fine as long as you leave after 9 am. I would walk to the subway at 57th and 7th Ave to get the R train to Cortlandt St. This is a local train and is likely to be less crowded. Your tiger option from this subway station is the #1 train to Rector St - another local train that will be less crowded, but leaves you a few blocks further away.

Hi Carol, I do have a question for you regarding Logan International and getting from possibly Terminal B over to E for Iceland Air. Our American Airlines flight from So Calif arrives at 5:26 PM and we need to get over to Terminal E from B . AA shows it arrives at either B or E

The problem is we will have separate tickets one purchased through Air 2 Sea for Iceland Air and our AA ticket purchased through AA so I am reading we will need to get our bags then get to Terminal E to recheck back in for our Iceland Air flight to CPH. Thank you

Gay

Hi Carol, I do have a question for you regarding Logan International and getting from possibly Terminal B over to E for Iceland Air. Our American Airlines flight from So Calif arrives at 5:26 PM and we need to get over to Terminal E from B . AA shows it arrives at either B or E

The problem is we will have separate tickets one purchased through Air 2 Sea for Iceland Air and our AA ticket purchased through AA so I am reading we will need to get our bags then get to Terminal E to recheck back in for our Iceland Air flight to CPH. Thank you

Gay

How much transfer time do you have?

All you need to do is to go outside the arrival level of Terminal B1 or B2(depending on your arrival gate) and take the free terminal shuttle bus to Terminal E.

I actually did this just last night between terminal B1 and terminal C and it was very easy. The buses have one low step and were easy to negotiate with luggage.

Arrival is at 5:26 Terminal B, Departure on Iceland air Terminal E is at 8:45 PM so roughly just under 3 1/2 hours layover. It said to use either Bus 11 or 55. We will need to pick up our luggage first since it isn't connecting flight but purchased separately.

Gay

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Arrival is at 5:26 Terminal B, Departure on Iceland air Terminal E is at 8:45 PM so roughly just under 3 1/2 hours layover. It said to use either Bus 11 or 55. We will need to pick up our luggage first since it isn't connecting flight but purchased separately.

Gay

You have time. I think I was on bus 55 last night. It was clearly marked as to what terminals it stopped at.

Thanks Carol & nitemare. My one concern is for my husband, he walks very slow due his right knee so hopefully we will still have time to grab some dinner before our Iceland flight to Copenhagen. BTW our flight isn't until August 22 2017 but got thinking about it this morning.:) I also hope there is no drastic change in our arrival time into BOS.

Gay

Thanks to all for their advice!

Katz was already in the plan for post museum! Last time we did the tourist/waited table, but I fully intend to go local style and wait on line this time.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations near the hotel-will look them up and if they are open Monday then will definitely keep them in mind. For the reasons other mentioned I think we would like to. E near the theater. Will check out everyone's suggestions and discuss with the other three and then make a reservation.

Sounds like Sylvia's it will be!

Carol- Thanks for the subway suggestions.

Regarding Logan- I can't address most of the questions but I can say that I was very impressed with the bus service at the airport. Used it last year to get to the subway to get to my hotel. It was well marked and easy to u derstand as I recall.

There are some decent dining options in Terminal E, from where you'll be departing. But the Icelandair (and WOW) flights go out of semi-remote gates (BOS old-timers will know what I mean when I say they are the old Terminal D gates) that don't have much in the way of food service, although you can easily walk back to the main Terminal E (post-security) if you have the time and desire.

The nice thing about these gates is they have their own security entrance (as you enter Terminal E from the road, the entrance is smack dab on your right) and generally much shorter lines than "traditional E" does.

Very jealous of your trip to Iceland. We've been 4 times and are looking forward to our 5th!

This will be our first visit to Copenhagen prior to our TA back to Boston and can't wait. We will arrive around 12:45 PM on the 23rd so will have 2 1/2 days to sight see before boarding on the 26th. It worked out best for us to do a RT ticket from Palm Springs, Ca to Boston then 1 way to Copenhagen through Air 2 Sea. We stop in Oslo, Kristiansand, Reykjavik and ( Akureyri Pron? ) then unto Halifax & Boston. It has been a long time since we flew into/out of Logan.

• 5 weeks later...

There is a Dunkin Donuts and a Pub food bar down at the Iceland air gates. As was said the security was amazingly easy, only a couple of gates are in use at any one time and the line is often nonexistent. I went through there last weekend and longest part of getting through was getting my stuff onto the belt.

http://www.massport.com/logan-airport has maps, the E1-E3 gates are on Level 2 of terminal E.

• 2 months later...

Just back from my Gem cruise and wanted to thank everyone for their advice! We had a great time in NYC.....sure do wish we go to stay free at luxe hotels like the Park Hyatt all the time! We were able to take advantage of their complementary car service a couple of times and if we had of hit the lobby 1 minute sooner would have even been able to take it to the cruise. Luckly Lyft worked just fine too! We were impressed with Dial 7 car service from LGA, however post cruise, it was a fiasco....their app doesn't work well at all, and the phone dispatcher was barely better. In both cases our total cost including tip and tolls was under $40.

We were unable to get pre-theatre reservations at Becco but instead ate at Orzo and enjoyed it....although the night before sailaway we ate at Trattoria Dell'Arte near our hotel and loved it!

Subway to 9/11 museum was great, though we ended up skipping Katz (I hate it happened) and instead had a great snack at Eataly across from the museum. Wow, what a great cheese and salami board.

We were thrilled we got to see Hello Dolly! and were amazed at Ms. Midler and Mr. Hyde Pierce. If you can get tickets GO!

Just back from my Gem cruise and wanted to thank everyone for their advice! We had a great time in NYC.....sure do wish we go to stay free at luxe hotels like the Park Hyatt all the time! We were able to take advantage of their complementary car service a couple of times and if we had of hit the lobby 1 minute sooner would have even been able to take it to the cruise. Luckly Lyft worked just fine too! We were impressed with Dial 7 car service from LGA, however post cruise, it was a fiasco....their app doesn't work well at all, and the phone dispatcher was barely better. In both cases our total cost including tip and tolls was under $40.

We were unable to get pre-theatre reservations at Becco but instead ate at Orzo and enjoyed it....although the night before sailaway we ate at Trattoria Dell'Arte near our hotel and loved it!

Subway to 9/11 museum was great, though we ended up skipping Katz (I hate it happened) and instead had a great snack at Eataly across from the museum. Wow, what a great cheese and salami board.

We were thrilled we got to see Hello Dolly! and were amazed at Ms. Midler and Mr. Hyde Pierce. If you can get tickets GO!

Thanks for posting back your wonderful experience. I'm glad everything worked out so well for you.