Taking Bus from Port to Maho Beach

Where is the nearest bus stop from the port?

We are a group of 13- is it easy for us to walk to a bus stop and get a bus back to the port?

The bus stop is on the back street in Philipsburg town about 15 minutes walk from the ship. You will see a sign with the word bus halte or just look for a minibus with the word Maho in the window, it drops and picks up from the roundabout next to the sunset beach bar

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The bus stop is on the back street in Philipsburg town about 15 minutes walk from the ship. You will see a sign with the word bus halte or just look for a minibus with the word Maho in the window, it drops and picks up from the roundabout next to the sunset beach bar

How much pp and how long does this type of bus take...do they make frequent stops (like a city bus) or is it non-stop directly to Maho ?

How much pp and how long does this type of bus take...do they make frequent stops (like a city bus) or is it non-stop directly to Maho ?

This bus costs $2 per person and made regular stops to pick up and drop off passengers mainly near shops, I think it took us about 30-40 minutes when we used it last time, it was great and people were chatting to us on the bus which made it fun

You are paying a lot of money to visit St. M. I wouldn't waste valuable vacation time to save a few $.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Certainly, none of us are asking YOU to take a bus, but as noted in the other thread, a lot of us here think of it as another adventure, a mini-excursion, a chance to mingle with the locals for a short while. Getting you to the same destination at a lower cost.

gary

Last time I was at St Maarten was at the end of 2015 and we joined the queue for Maho Beach at the bus depot-not far from the Port. Lots and lots of mini buses came to pick up groups of us at a time. I cant remember how much it cost but it wasn't excessive. We were dropped off at Guys bar where we rented loungers and had regular bar service throughout our stay. The beach is not very big and gets very crowded. The Sunset bar seemed pretty manic- but the youngsters seemed to like it!

Please don't be tempted to stand on the beach directly behind a plane taking off, we saw people being blown down the beach, no doubt incurring some injuries. Lots of belongings also disappeared out to sea! (until the locals collected them in a Kayak at a cost).

Before you head over-check the flight times- and look out for some of the larger international flights arriving/departing.

When you want to return just stand on the road by Guys (I'm guessing its the same for the Sunset) and within a few minutes a minibus will stop for you.

Last time I was at St Maarten was at the end of 2015 and we joined the queue for Maho Beach at the bus depot-not far from the Port. Lots and lots of mini buses came to pick up groups of us at a time. I cant remember how much it cost but it wasn't excessive. We were dropped off at Guys bar where we rented loungers and had regular bar service throughout our stay. The beach is not very big and gets very crowded. The Sunset bar seemed pretty manic- but the youngsters seemed to like it!

Please don't be tempted to stand on the beach directly behind a plane taking off, we saw people being blown down the beach, no doubt incurring some injuries. Lots of belongings also disappeared out to sea! (until the locals collected them in a Kayak at a cost).

Before you head over-check the flight times- and look out for some of the larger international flights arriving/departing.

When you want to return just stand on the road by Guys (I'm guessing its the same for the Sunset) and within a few minutes a minibus will stop for you.

EDIT....We were at the Taxi area not the Bus depot. They fill up the minibus and as long as there are more than two travelling the fare is reduced to around $7 each way.

The taxis and buses follow the same route. If there is a bus in front of the taxi, it also has to stop. It is not much faster taking the cab. Here is your problem. I do not think you will find a bus ( which are small passenger vans ) that have space open for all of you. I would contact a private tour driver and present him with the group for drop off and pick up. He would also pick you all up nearer to the port. I think it would be less than the cab.

EDIT....We were at the Taxi area not the Bus depot. They fill up the minibus and as long as there are more than two travelling the fare is reduced to around $7 each way.

Is the taxi area right there by the pier? We want to catch a cab to Maho but are not sure where to find them.

We took the bus once back in 2015, only $2 each. Saves a bunch of $$. We hit morning traffic though (which I am assuming you'd also hit if you're in a taxi). The only down side is the no or little to no air conditioning on the way there and you're cramped. Coming back there were a lot less people on the bus.

Definitely doable especially if your trip is port intensive. Wish we had easy bus options like this on the rest of our upcoming trip!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...