Have You Cruised Both Itineraries? (AUS to Fiji, etc. & AUS to New Zealand?

mlbcruiser

We are considering cruising from Sydney to either New Zealand or doing the itinerary that visits some warmer South Pacific islands to the northeast of Sydney. I realize New Zealand and the islands (like Suva, Vanuatu, etc.) offter entirely different types of weather, scenery and activities.

We were slated to do an Australia to New Zealand cruise last March, but a medical emergency in the fall caused us to cancel that cruise. We ended up doing a cruise to AK in May (our first there, though we've cruised over 40 times, mostly in the Caribbean & Mediterranean). AK was interesting and we enjoyed it, but I think I still prefer cruises where I can lay out on a chaise lounge and watch the ocean and can visit beautiful beaches on land. As far as scenery, I'm sure NZ's is fabulous. I'm flip flopping like mad on which itinerary to do! This will be our one and only trip to/out of Australia.

Some points I've thought about:

Looks like inches of rain will be in the double digits (!) for several of the islands around Figi. (Surely that isn't based on just a a brief shower or 2 each day?) On the other hand, one of our favorite ever cruises was in French Polynesia and Cook Islands, though it was a Sept., not a Feb., cruise. (Not exactly the same, but still tropical and in the So. Pacific.)

I've heard the fjords in NZ can be hit and miss - even more so than Alaska as far as visability being hampered by fog and rain. (?) Sounds like the weather will be more around the 60's (F) and 70's at best in NZ. I'm sure the natural beauty is great, but doesn't sound like going into the water is much of an option - without a wetsuit, at least! (Sea water and beach breezes at beaches in southern California are usually too chilly for me, even in late June!)

Culturally, I'm sure both itineraries will likely be interesting. (Guess I should look up excursion costs to compare those, too.)

If you have done BOTH itineraries and can truly compare the two, PLEASE post a comparison, what you liked, didn't like, etc. I'd truly appreciate it!

Thanks for any replies!

We are considering cruising from Sydney to either New Zealand or doing the itinerary that visits some warmer South Pacific islands to the northeast of Sydney. I realize New Zealand and the islands (like Suva, Vanuatu, etc.) offter entirely different types of weather, scenery and activities.

We were slated to do an Australia to New Zealand cruise last March, but a medical emergency in the fall caused us to cancel that cruise. We ended up doing a cruise to AK in May (our first there, though we've cruised over 40 times, mostly in the Caribbean & Mediterranean). AK was interesting and we enjoyed it, but I think I still prefer cruises where I can lay out on a chaise lounge and watch the ocean and can visit beautiful beaches on land. As far as scenery, I'm sure NZ's is fabulous. I'm flip flopping like mad on which itinerary to do! This will be our one and only trip to/out of Australia.

Some points I've thought about:

Looks like inches of rain will be in the double digits (!) for several of the islands around Figi. (Surely that isn't based on just a a brief shower or 2 each day?) On the other hand, one of our favorite ever cruises was in French Polynesia and Cook Islands, though it was a Sept., not a Feb., cruise. (Not exactly the same, but still tropical and in the So. Pacific.)

I've heard the fjords in NZ can be hit and miss - even more so than Alaska as far as visability being hampered by fog and rain. (?) Sounds like the weather will be more around the 60's (F) and 70's at best in NZ. I'm sure the natural beauty is great, but doesn't sound like going into the water is much of an option - without a wetsuit, at least! (Sea water and beach breezes at beaches in southern California are usually too chilly for me, even in late June!)

Culturally, I'm sure both itineraries will likely be interesting. (Guess I should look up excursion costs to compare those, too.)

If you have done BOTH itineraries and can truly compare the two, PLEASE post a comparison, what you liked, didn't like, etc. I'd truly appreciate it!

Thanks for any replies!

You are comparing chalk and cheese, I'm afraid.

Can you do both ?

For example, HAL Noordam leaves AKL 6th Dec for 15 days to SYD, then continues for another 15 days to New Caledonia and Vanuatu.

It can be bought as a single 30 day cruise.

There will be other timings and combinations.

It should also be possible on Princess and Celebrity to book back to back NZ / Sth Pacific cruises.

Edited by Tranquility Base

They are different itineraries; not just with the obvious locations they visit, but the style.

NZ itineraries are more about the stops; you could liken them more to Med itineraries. Each city you'll be exploring, can do lots of walking, sights, museums and other things.

South Pacific itineraries are more if you like beach oriented, so more like the Caribbean. Based on what you've written it sounds like this is more what you're looking for.

Personally, I like sights and exploring and other aspects, so liked the NZ itineraries more. There's just more to see. But if you want beaches and warmth and swimming, that's not what they're about.

You mention culturally and excursions, but there aren't that many excursions on South Pacific cruises. Often they're to things like waterholes, or caves, and if you do take tours, they won't be so 'impressive' but just local landmarks for the most part. As you said it is your only trip down this way, I'm not sure if it would be so memorable if it's really to more beaches, and snorkelling and similar? But if that's what you're most looking for, it may still be preferable - it comes down to your preferences there. Just weigh up what you'd most enjoy and get value from.

Edited by The_Big_M

As others have said, if you're coming all this way why not try to do both? Either based from Sydney, or perhaps flying into Auckland, doing an Auckland to Sydney cruise, then a South Pacific cruise, then flying out of Sydney.

March is an ideal time for both NZ and the South Pacific. The weather is typically more settled in NZ at that time, although that's no guarantee it will be warm, especially down south. But NZ is all about sightseeing, not sitting on beaches, and wetsuits are usually provided for water-based excursions like swimming with the rare Hectors Dolphins at Akaroa. March is also a pleasant time in the South Pacific. As long as there isn't a cyclone nearby you should get gorgeous weather. We did a South Pacific cruise in March a couple of years ago and the weather was perfect.

Yes, Fiji and the other South Pacific islands do get a lot of rain at times, but it often comes as short but very heavy downpours, then it clears. It's usually not a major stumbling block to the enjoyment of your cruise destinations.

NZ is a unique destination. It's a small country but there is so much variety in the scenery throughout the country. Plus if you're a LOTR fan Hobbiton is a must. The Fiordland scenic cruising is in the hands of the weather gods, I'm afraid. Some years are great, others not so good. There is no guarantee, unfortunately, but if conditions are good then it is definitely a highlight of the NZ cruise.

I'm not sure how the South Pacific islands match up against other parts of the world, I haven't been to Tahiti or the Caribbean. Some of the islands like Lifou, Mare, and the Isle of Pines offer wonderful snorkelling. The locals are very friendly and make a big effort when a cruise ship is in port. These islands are relatively undeveloped too, which makes them very special.

Thanks for the replies! My problem is, I like EVERYTHING - water sports AND basically just seeing different places, from scenery to museums to learning about the locals, their history, etc.

While I had actually thought of the possibility of hooking together 2 cruises, the cost would likely be prohibitive and I'd like to have a bit of time on land in Australia as well. All of that together would make the trip longer than I could ever get my husband to agree to.

Just a bit ago I did read a good post by someone who has visited the islands several times. They listed the activities (mostly beaches and watersports, as expected). While there was a mention or 2 of dance performances and/or barbecues, I had assumed there might be more excursions to local villages with a glimpse into their local life and such as well. Apparently not too many interesting non-beach/water oriented excursions other than hop on/hop off buses with little in the way of any interesting stops in the cities and a general (and maybe somewhat dull?) "drive around the area" type taxi or ship excursion.

Guess I should mention that in the past, my dh and I did a lot more in and on the water. However, just over a year ago, DH suffered a medical issue that has left his walking a bit compromised, though he doesn't use a cane or wheelchair. He must be mindful when walking, walks a bit more slowly, and has to concentrate more. He can go up and down steps, but a handrail is important. So no long hikes over rocky or uneven paths ot jumping into waterfall pools.) In addition, due to damage to his arm, no more scuba diving or swimming. This might make you wonder why in the world we'd consider beach vacations. However, DH does go into the water when at a beach, but must be careful to stay where he can stand with me or a friend not far away - just in case. Plus he enjoys just lying on the beach and especially snoozing while he does it! I LOVE to snorkel - and would - but wouldn't likely take as much advantage of the various opportunities as much as I would have prior to last year simply because DH could not. So, after reading the post I mentioned, New Zealand would likely be a better overall choice for us in the end. Still not ruling the islands out for sure, but likely will not do that itinerary.

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to reply. Thanks again.

Just a bit ago I did read a good post by someone who has visited the islands several times. They listed the activities (mostly beaches and watersports, as expected). While there was a mention or 2 of dance performances and/or barbecues, I had assumed there might be more excursions to local villages with a glimpse into their local life and such as well. Apparently not too many interesting non-beach/water oriented excursions other than hop on/hop off buses with little in the way of any interesting stops in the cities and a general (and maybe somewhat dull?) "drive around the area" type taxi or ship excursion.

Keep in mind you'll only get that at 1 or 2 of the destinations, if your itinerary visits there (e.g. Vila, and Fiji). Additionally, Noumea is a small city and has those sorts of services.

Many of the island destinations don't have developed roads, and don't have hop on/hop off buses. It's just the beach, maybe a couple of other sights such as a small souvenir market or other small dwellings, and that's it. There may be other specific options somewhere else, but still related to swimming or snorkelling or similar.

Although I said earlier similar to the Caribbean, that's only in respect of the beach oriented type of cruise. Most of these destinations are nowhere near as developed as the Caribbean destinations, and have nowhere near the same number of visitors.

Maybe if you could tell us which specific stops in Vanuatu, Fiji, etc that you are looking at.

As has been said some are port cities and some are tender stops at beachy type locations.

Then others can give you ideas of what they did there.

Have I got a deal for you ;)

HAL Noordam. Auckland - Vancouver.

6 ports NZ;

3 ports Austrailia;

2 ports New Caledonia;

2 ports Fiji;

1 port American Samoa;

2 ports Hawaii;

Victoria and Vancouver.

Sure it's 36 nights; but only one long haul flight involved :D

The catch.......

......leaves in just over two months time

Edited by Tranquility Base

Great idea, Tranquility Base, but that itinerary isn't offered when we have an opportunity to go, on the front end of 2018. The Noordam has some other itineraries a day or 2 longer up to 40 days that cover a LOT of ocean in that area, but even the 20-something days would be over our budget, and then there are the gratuities. Besides, I don't think we are quite ready for a cruise that long. I appreciate the suggestion, though. Maybe if I win the lottery, though that'd be even more unlikely since I never buy lottery tickets!

Actually, my husband said he doesn't really need to be touring around a lot in the ports and he does like beaches and lovely water - even to look at. So who knows? The best idea would be to do 2 cruises, with a break on land to see a few things in Australia - or vice versa - in NZ. But the lottery would have to come into play again, I'm afraid! So I continue to flip flop.

Truth is, there are just too many wonderful places to see in the world! Between cruises and land vacations, we've hit a bunch of them, but still there are so many more to see.

Thanks again!

Truth is, there are just too many wonderful places to see in the world! Between cruises and land vacations, we've hit a bunch of them, but still there are so many more to see.

In that spirit I might suggest that you have a third option, Papua New Guinea.

Spectacular scenery, that to me matches NZ, and tropical settings.

Downside is that the ports are generally even less developed than in the South Pacific and there is very little tourism infrastructure.

Most easily accessed from Brisbane or Cairns (which itself is worth a visit). Although there are some Sydney cruises to PNG which also take in Vanuatu and New Caledonia.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

• 3 weeks later...

Being a kiwi I am slightly biased.... but I want to echo that the south pacific (excluding fiji) have poor infrastructure. Any tour etc that you do will be on very old and run down buses. Basically if a bus won't meet our road standard it goes to the pacific to die (and be patched and repatched and rerepatched).

There is some lovely places but it is not like a caribbean - no resorts with great beaches close to the port. My hubby who has mobility issues (walks with a stick) did struggle a bit with the uneven roads, lack of foot paths etc. You will certainly have a cultural experience.

They are chalk and cheese, but each has their place. For kiwis the pacific islands are cheap, close and warm. The friendly nature is more innocent and shy but it comes with pushy and demanding people who are desperate for the cruise dollar.

No matter what you choose it will be a trip of a lifetime. If you can't do both maybe toss a coin and let fate decide!

• 2 weeks later...

You won't believe this, but we have just returned from doing BOTH of these itineraries, so I'll try to help.......First, we took the Jan. 13th sailing on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas 12 day cruise to the South Pacific (Mare, Noumea, Mystery Island, Suva (Fiji) and Lautoka (Fiji). Then, after three days in Sydney, we boarded the Radiance of the Seas on Jan. 28th for a 12 day cruise to New Zealand (Bay of Islands, Auckland, Tauranga, Akaroa, Dunedin, and Dusky, Doubtful and Milford Sounds. We had a wonderful trip with mostly wonderful weather. I had expected to be wearing shorts in the South Pacific and jeans in New Zealand, but we were always in shorts.....until we got down to the Sounds. In fact, we sailed into some pretty bad weather, with 95 mph winds (Cat. 2 hurricane strength) as we approached the sounds. The captain hoped the weather would improve sooner than it did, but due to high winds, we could not enter the first two Sounds....Dusky and Doubtful), but by the time we got up to Milford Sound, we were able to enter that.

Now, to try to help you out with your decision...we have no regrets, but if we were to "do over" we might not have done the South Pacific, and instead taken a different cruise stopping at ports in Australia, so that we could have experienced and learned about more than just Sydney (which we LOVED). Being from Minnesota, I think we were focusing on going somewhere warm in January, which is why we booked the South Pacific...it was fun and very pretty, but everything was mostly centered around water sports. We are experienced scuba divers, but are getting older, so we have some mobility issues too. We did go Snorkeling in Mare, Mystery Island and in Laukota Fiji. Snorkeling was just ok.....we did spend the day in Laukota on a little private island for a wonderful day in the sun and water, complete with a wonderful lunch and plenty of shade. In Noumea, we took a little tourist train tour and then walked to the small World War Two Museum that they have there. My husband is a history buff, so he really wanted to go to that museum...was very good!

I agree that if you really want to be in the water, than the South Pacific would be great for you.....New Zealand was great for tours of all kinds....some were Harbor cruises looking for wildlife...others were bus tours. It was plenty sunny and warm, though!

Not sure if this helps or confuses you.....ask any more specific questions if you like. Good luck with your planning!