Things to do on sea days?

Ken the cruiser

We're booked on a TA from the UK back to Miami on the Eclipse next October and were wondering if there are a lot of activities to choose from on sea days? The only other time we've been on a Solstice class ship was a few years back on the Solstice up in Alaska and we found plenty to do. But then again that was an Alaskan cruise rather than a TA.

On our TA last year we enjoyed many of the speakers who each gave 3-4 different lectures on the sea days. There were also cooking classes, dance classes, movies in Celebrity Central, progressive trivia, bingo, bocce tournaments, hot glass shows (both of which I still believe are on the Eclipse), art auctions. We were never bored and enjoyed those wonderful longer days traveling eastbound.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our TA last year we enjoyed many of the speakers who each gave 3-4 different lectures on the sea days. There were also cooking classes, dance classes, movies in Celebrity Central, progressive trivia, bingo, bocce tournaments, hot glass shows (both of which I still believe are on the Eclipse), art auctions. We were never bored and enjoyed those wonderful longer days traveling eastbound.

Thanks! I know they don't have DVD players in the rooms. However, if we brought a DVD player, cable and remote, is there an HDMI port on the TV we can plug it into?

Thanks! I know they don't have DVD players in the rooms. However, if we brought a DVD player, cable and remote, is there an HDMI port on the TV we can plug it into?

Yes. But its kind of sad to go on a cruise to sit in one's cabin and watch TV/movies. There are always a slate of schedules activities on sea days....for those that like activities. Then there are folks like DW and moi that are really happy to just relax, socialize, read our Kindles, and perhaps go to a lecture (if they have a decent speaker). We have been on many long cruises (we are talking about over 30 days) with many sea days (our record is 22 sea days on one cruise). We love those sea days and seldom have found a reason to spend any idle time in our cabin.

We have met folks that spend most of their cruise in their cabin...which makes us wonder why they cruise. But I guess it is different strokes ........

Hank

Yes. But its kind of sad to go on a cruise to sit in one's cabin and watch TV/movies. There are always a slate of schedules activities on sea days....for those that like activities. Then there are folks like DW and moi that are really happy to just relax, socialize, read our Kindles, and perhaps go to a lecture (if they have a decent speaker). We have been on many long cruises (we are talking about over 30 days) with many sea days (our record is 22 sea days on one cruise). We love those sea days and seldom have found a reason to spend any idle time in our cabin.

We have met folks that spend most of their cruise in their cabin...which makes us wonder why they cruise. But I guess it is different strokes ........

Hank

Thanks and thanks for your extra thoughts. For us, though, we take our Dallas and Star Trek dvds with us for those times when there isn't a lot going on, let's say after one of those great lectures or our 2 mile walk around whatever walking track is on the Eclipse or before going to bed. The most important thing my DW and I look forward doing on a cruise is being with each other. Sharing time watching a Dallas or Star Trek episode together is just one of the many things we like to do. We like playing cards together before a show or lecture. We like playing ping pong and batting a tennis ball back and forth if there is a netted court on deck. We're even planning to learn bocce ball on this cruise. We like to participate in onboard games if there are some fun ones scheduled. We like going to trivia together but not joining a team as they sometimes get too competitive for us. We like meeting new people at dinner as long as they keep politics out of the conversation.

Our overall main goal is having a good time. We also would be just fine if there was no HDMI connection for our dvd player. But having one just gives us another enjoyment option.

Unless you are into trivia, we've found Celebrity lacking in Sea Days activities. :(

On our recent TA on the Silhouette, our biggest problem was that the four Beyond the Podium speakers were scheduled almost back to back. Or it felt that way. Hard to take advantage of even those speakers much less the other options. I felt a bit overbooked, and next time I will pay less attention to the ship's activities and have more time to myself.

Another question about the Eclipse. It appears there is some form of a promenade on deck 5 and it appears it's on both sides as well as the bow. If this is true, is it possible to get some exercise by walking from one side to the other by going through the bow? We have gotten spoiled by being able to walk in the shade around the HAL ships on their promenade decks.

We always had plenty to do on the two TAs we've taken. I got involved in an every-morning watercolor class. You didn't have to be an artist but it was so much fun. I ended up sitting at a table with four other ladies and we spent the hour painting together (I was kind of the how NOT to paint!) and also stayed an extra hour for listening to trivia. The paintbrushes we received (free) were really good, as were the paints.

By that time it was time for a lecture series my DH and I enjoyed. Then we had lunch, did some cardio in the gym or just hung out and people watched. At about 2 pm every day there was a passenger choir rehearsal which was a blast. We performed on the last sea day.

A couple lectures, some meals, sitting at the sunset bar or martini bar - and the day is done.

I like the hot glass show and attended most days. DH did some texas hold 'em tournaments and we played ping pong.

There were people who literally hung out at the pool deck from morning till dinner on every sea day. We probably have spent a half hour at the pool TOTAL in all our cruising.

On our recent TA, besides everything else listed, they did a reprise of the evening shows mid afternoon. We really enjoyed that as we didn't like to hurry dinner. We were never bored. There are also iPad classes.

The walking/jogging track is on the 14th deck.

It isn't very long. I gave up counting laps (lost count) and just walked for an hour. We were quite a little club up there between 5.00 and 6.00am.

Wow! We're still in rem sleep mode at the hour. :) So, what's on deck 5? It looks something like a partial promenade?

Unless you are into trivia, we've found Celebrity lacking in Sea Days activities. :(

While I will dispute that on the whole but maybe we're looking for different options than you. However, on a transatlantic, it's a whole different experience. They book a number of excellent speakers and offer activities not otherwise available.

• 4 weeks later...

I do believe that there is. Also, there were first run movies 2-3 nights on the pool deck with popcorn and blankets on the chaises. I remember seeing Bridge of Spies one night. Many of the movies shown that in the different venues later played on the tv in the cabin. On one TA through CC we met many lovely people. One of them was a Tai Chi instructor and on our 7 sea days at 10:30 am she met a group of us near the Lawn Club and instructed us. It was one of the most enjoyable things we have ever done cruising. And we never would have done it if we had not all met on our Roll Call.