First time to Key West

pittypat

Seems from everything I have read on CC walking/trolley tour are the ways to see Key West.

Where does the Carnival Dream dock? How close to the dock is the location to catch the Cityview Trolley? What are do not miss things to do in Keywest? TIA!

Pittypat

Get a guidebook on Key West...decide what's important to YOU! You don't have to do and see everything, if some things aren't of interest!

Lots of folks want a photo at the southernmost point....some want to see Hemingway's house and cats.. some want Key Lime pie...some want to bar hop...some want to shop! Figure out WHAT, and we can help with HOW!

Get a guidebook on Key West...decide what's important to YOU! You don't have to do and see everything, if some things aren't of interest!

Lots of folks want a photo at the southernmost point....some want to see Hemingway's house and cats.. some want Key Lime pie...some want to bar hop...some want to shop! Figure out WHAT, and we can help with HOW!

Just looking for suggestions on what things others have enjoyed! No need to be SNIPPY. Move on if you have nothing to add.

Thanks

We have visited Key West four or five times a year for over a decade. Among the things we enjoy are the Mel Fisher museum of sunken treasure, the Butterfly Conservatory, the Key West Light House, The Truman Summer White House, the Hemingway House, the walk up Duval Street to look in shops, restaurants, art galleries and bars.

I really like the Conch Train ride, but Hubby prefers the hop on/hop off trolley. You can also walk (for free) along the Historic Schooner Wharf docks to see the many boats and yachts there. It is very picturesque. There are several restaurants along side these docks.

Lest I forget, some boating trips include galss-bottomed boat, and schooner trips of a couple of hours.

Every trip to Key West we sail out to Sunset Key to eat at Latitudes Restaurant. The fun boat ride is free, but you need to make reservations.

You won't be able to do all this in one cruise ship port call. They are all fun and interesting. You could almost put each on on a peice of paper and draw maybe three or four to do.

I hope you enjoy Key West as much as we do.

The Trip Advisor web site linked just above did a very nice job of showing some of Key West's highlights. I agree with all the choices there having done them all several times each.

The one thing I'm not sure about is that it states that a few of Key West's restaurants have a strict dress code. We've eaten in many of Key Wests' premium restaurants and I have never run into a strictly enforced dress code. I would be very curious to know which ones in particular do expect a dressier appearance. We have never been turned away from any restaurant in Key West.

Hubby has very painful feet and has to wear jogging shoes. He wears black ones at night so they don't look so sporty. I don't think anyone has noticed and no one has made an issue of his shoes.

Seems from everything I have read on CC walking/trolley tour are the ways to see Key West.

Where does the Carnival Dream dock? How close to the dock is the location to catch the Cityview Trolley? What are do not miss things to do in Keywest? TIA!

Pittypat

Your ship will dock at the Westin Hotel pier which is an easy walk off to Front St where you will have no trouble locating City View Trolley.

A nice pair of shorts and collared shirt will let one dine in any restaurant in Key West.

Have a great visit.

Mike:)

Just looking for suggestions on what things others have enjoyed! No need to be SNIPPY. Move on if you have nothing to add.

Thanks

Snippy is her middle name. And she won't see your reply, never returns to a thread after posting:D

I second recommendations of: Hemingway House, Little White House, Mel Fisher's. Of course it's obligatory to walk Duval for some dining/drinking/shopping:) Enjoy Key West!!!!!

Snippy is her middle name. And she won't see your reply, never returns to a thread after posting:D

I second recommendations of: Hemingway House, Little White House, Mel Fisher's. Of course it's obligatory to walk Duval for some dining/drinking/shopping:) Enjoy Key West!!!!!

Thanks! I appreciate your recommendations. As for the other poster he/she not worth another comment!

• 5 weeks later...

Agree with the above suggestions and if it's your first trip to Key West, you have to work in a photo at the Southernmost Point (the buoy). Eat somewhere that serves conch fritters, which includes MANY of the restaurants. We are going to be on a cruise in December that stops in Key West. It's one of our FAVORITES.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I will be in Key West for the first time in February. I am very interested in checking out the Truman Little White House, and maybe the Ernest Hemingway house. From what I am seeing so far, this looks very doable. If we can walk, even better.

I am sure we will want lunch in the mix too! I look forward to it.

I've heard that it may not be as hot as what we are expecting, so I will try to keep an eye on the weather until just before we leave for our trip so that I bring the proper clothing.