New Camera

Hello all,

First, sorry for another help me choose a new camera thread & the length of this thread. I am partially using this post to lay out my thoughts for myself. I have been lurking for at least a month on this forum reading all the info I could find. I really appreciated the poster who linked to the pictures of different focal lengths.

What I currently have: Sony Cybershot 350 P&S

What I do not like about it: not enough zoom, no view finder & slow between shots.

What I like about it: small form factor.

Kind of pictures I take: buildings and scenery/landscapes.

What I do with the pictures: look at them on my laptop. I am considering making photo books of some of my trips.

Budget $800 (if interchangeable lens, this budget would be for camera and 1 lens. I am not including a longer reach telephoto for 2018 Alaska cruise in this budget. I would buy that lens next year).

I have spent a month researching on DP Review, Camera Labs, etc. until I am completely overwhelmed by all the choices. The only benefit to my indecision is that the price has come down on some of the models I am considering.

Cameras I am considering (I have ruled out bridge cameras as being too bulky):

P&S: Panasonic ZS60, Sony HX90v and Panasonic ZS100;

Mirrorless: Panasonic GX85, Olympus OMD-EMC 10ii, Fuji XT-10, and Sony A6000 (right now leaning towards the GX85 because of touch screen & smaller micro four thirds lenses)(GX85 & A6000 have good deals right now).

My indecision: everytime I am about to pull the trigger on one of the interchangeable lenses camera, I wonder if it is more than I need and whether I should just get a P&S. So, I keep going round and round with information overload. I am willing to learn how to use whatever camera I get.

Thanks a lot,

Diane

I'd consider the Nikon D3400 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm and 70-300mm Lenses kit. B&H has it listed on sale for $596.99. The wife has the older D3200 and loves it. The 70-300 would be great for AK. This new model has Snapbridge to allow for wireless instant transfers to your phone for uploading to the internet.

framer

There is a reason there a large Sony A6XXX posts here on this site, and the deals on the A6000 are smoking right now. You need to narrow down your choices to two or three and starting doing the research. There is always the possibility a member that is local to you will let you see and try out their rig.

John

You sound like you're on the right track and won't go wrong with any of your options. A micro 4/3rds system may be perfect for you, with the ability to keep the size down.

In your price range, for your needs, the only p&s I'd seriously consider is the Panasonic fz1000. It's the only good sensor quality in your price range that may give you the amount of zoom you're looking for.

I have shot with both the Sony a6000 and a6300.

The a6000 has a good viewfinder. It remains rather compact. It is a very quick responsive camera, exceptional, as long as the light isn't terrible. In terms of responsiveness, probably the best of your options. It's compact with the basic kit lens, and the size can stay small with primes and normal range lenses. For telephoto, there is a cheap kit telephoto which keeps the system compact. Unfortunately, the image quality is sub par -- but may be just fine for your uses. There are better quality telephoto lenses, but they become bulky and expensive.

If you're not doing a ton of telephoto shooting, the a6000 system may be perfect. And rent a Hugh quality telephoto lens just for Alaska.

At an $800 budget point, I would suggest the EM10.2 with the 14-42mm kit lens [$649] plus a 40-150mm tele zoom [$99]. This combo covers the full frame equivalent of 28 - 300 mm. Prices are from Olympus' direct to consumer online store [getolympus.com].

Today's kit lenses [all manufacturers] are really quite refined, and the cheep Olympus zoom is an outstanding value [also works well with the Panasonic body as it also has in body image stabilization ].

Robin Wong has a few blog postings of interest about lenses

On kit lenses

40-150 Mini Review

Another vote for the A6000 and the prices are great right now. I have 3 Sony HX_V cameras. While I thoroughly enjoy all of them they don't come close to the A6000. I bought the reconditioned kit early this year with the 2 lens kit for $700. You can get it cheaper now. The reconditioned kit was pretty nice as it came with a camera case and memory card.

Some of my favorites.

DSC04703ad_zpsqbu9ffbs.jpg

DSC04850_zpspqisf0ub.jpg

DSC06313_zpsvcpjz0vc.jpg

Ok, yes, I like landscapes! :)

DSC08343_zpst5xfxmxh.jpg

Have fun!

Vic

Edited by Victress2007

Another serious vote for the A6000 based on a couple of years using one. It is the best-selling interchangeable-lens digital camera of all time for good reason. Smaller than the other cameras you mentioned with an excellent sensor (50% larger than the 4/3 cameras and 50% higher resolution than the Fuji). The price for the camera and the 16-50/55-210 two-lens kit (excellent kit lenses, BTW) is around $700 for the season and adds up to an awful lot of bang-for-the-buck.

Dave

Edited by pierces

I'd consider the Nikon D3400 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm and 70-300mm Lenses kit. B&H has it listed on sale for $596.99. The wife has the older D3200 and loves it. The 70-300 would be great for AK. This new model has Snapbridge to allow for wireless instant transfers to your phone for uploading to the internet.

framer

Thanks, I will have to take a look at it. I had ruled out DSLRs because of their size but the price might make me reconsider.

You sound like you're on the right track and won't go wrong with any of your options. A micro 4/3rds system may be perfect for you, with the ability to keep the size down.

In your price range, for your needs, the only p&s I'd seriously consider is the Panasonic fz1000. It's the only good sensor quality in your price range that may give you the amount of zoom you're looking for.

I have shot with both the Sony a6000 and a6300.

The a6000 has a good viewfinder. It remains rather compact. It is a very quick responsive camera, exceptional, as long as the light isn't terrible. In terms of responsiveness, probably the best of your options. It's compact with the basic kit lens, and the size can stay small with primes and normal range lenses. For telephoto, there is a cheap kit telephoto which keeps the system compact. Unfortunately, the image quality is sub par -- but may be just fine for your uses. There are better quality telephoto lenses, but they become bulky and expensive.

If you're not doing a ton of telephoto shooting, the a6000 system may be perfect. And rent a Hugh quality telephoto lens just for Alaska.

Thanks for the detailed response. I am attracted to the micro four third cameras due to the size of the lenses, but I keep coming back to the a6000 which is why I am so undecided.

At an $800 budget point, I would suggest the EM10.2 with the 14-42mm kit lens [$649] plus a 40-150mm tele zoom [$99]. This combo covers the full frame equivalent of 28 - 300 mm. Prices are from Olympus' direct to consumer online store [getolympus.com].

Today's kit lenses [all manufacturers] are really quite refined, and the cheep Olympus zoom is an outstanding value [also works well with the Panasonic body as it also has in body image stabilization ].

Robin Wong has a few blog postings of interest about lenses

On kit lenses

40-150 Mini Review

Hi, thanks for the info on lenses and the Olympus. Right now there are very good deals on several of the cameras that I am considering.

Thanks, I will have to take a look at it. I had ruled out DSLRs because of their size but the price might make me reconsider.

I have the Nikon D5500 and love it. I started with it and the kit lens, and now carry these lenses with it.

AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8

AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G

I will be adding another lens next year.

Vic,

Your pictures are terrific. If mine come out half as nice, I would be quite happy.

Dave,

I have also admired your pictures. It is one of the reasons I am considering the a6000.

Thanks, everyone for your responses and suggestions. This weekend, I will go play with the cameras again at my local big box store (I do not plan on buying there but it is easy to play with them).

Diane

Once you narrow your choices down, there are lots of great ones suggested here, go a a full service camera store and look at all of them. Hold them, see how they feel in your hands, how they pack in a bag for you, how the controls work with your fingers. There are tons of great choices out there so consider the ergonomics too and you need to do that in person. Since you are in Miami Pitman Photo is a good place to go and look and see and feel.

Edited by Mr. Click

You can get the a6000 with 16-50 and 55-210 for about the price.

I teach photography and do some professional shooting. I use dSLR and mirrorless. If you want to spend $5,000 to $10,000 on top gear, pro dslrs have advantages.

For an ordinary consumer, I no longer recommend traditional dslrs.

Nothing wrong with dslrs, but if you compare the pros and cons of a consumer grade dSLR, like the d5500, compared to a mirrorless like the a6000, almost all the pros go to mirrorless.

Advantages of dSLR -- slightly better battery life. Turns on faster (instant vs 1/2 second). And subjectively speaking, some people prefer a larger body or prefer an optical viewfinder. Except consumer dslrs have very low quality optical viewfinders.

Compare a camera like the a6000 to the d5500... the pros of the a6000...

Larger viewfinder.

Ability to preview exposure in viewfinder.

Ability to review images in viewfinder.

Full time face detect autofocus over the entire frame.

Focus points across the entire frame

Faster and more accurate autofocus

Same image quality (actually the same sensor)

Far superior live view/LCD autofocus experience.

Far better video experience -- better af, ability to use viewfinder for video.

Much faster burst rate

Smaller camera

The list goes on. There was a time when mirrorless had slower AF, but that's no longer true -- mirrorless af in some of the newest cameras is far better than dslrs.

You can get the a6000 with 16-50 and 55-210 for about the price.

I teach photography and do some professional shooting. I use dSLR and mirrorless. If you want to spend $5,000 to $10,000 on top gear, pro dslrs have advantages.

For an ordinary consumer, I no longer recommend traditional dslrs.

Nothing wrong with dslrs, but if you compare the pros and cons of a consumer grade dSLR, like the d5500, compared to a mirrorless like the a6000, almost all the pros go to mirrorless.

Advantages of dSLR -- slightly better battery life. Turns on faster (instant vs 1/2 second). And subjectively speaking, some people prefer a larger body or prefer an optical viewfinder. Except consumer dslrs have very low quality optical viewfinders.

Compare a camera like the a6000 to the d5500... the pros of the a6000...

Larger viewfinder.

Ability to preview exposure in viewfinder.

Ability to review images in viewfinder.

Full time face detect autofocus over the entire frame.

Focus points across the entire frame

Faster and more accurate autofocus

Same image quality (actually the same sensor)

Far superior live view/LCD autofocus experience.

Far better video experience -- better af, ability to use viewfinder for video.

Much faster burst rate

Smaller camera

The list goes on. There was a time when mirrorless had slower AF, but that's no longer true -- mirrorless af in some of the newest cameras is far better than dslrs.

Thank you for the list of differences. The smaller size of the mirrorless is definitely appealing to me. I have ruled out getting a P&S camera. So I am making progress with my decision making.

Tomorrow I plan to go to a store and handle again all three models. I have played with all three last month at the store and I have likes and dislikes on each. These are the current deals I have seen on one of the big known online camera retailers (starts with A); I round prices up to the next dollar:

A6000 with 16-50mm & 55-210mm for $698 (not loving Sony lens selection, love auto focus, concerned about having to dig through menu interface without touch screen)

Panasonic GX85 with 12-32mm & 45-150mm & gift certificate for $698 (love lens selection & touch screen, concerned about continuous auto focus)

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II with 14-42mm & 40-150mm for $800 (see comments above re GX85, also concerned regarding menu interface).

Of course these deals good be gone by the time I make up my mind on which one to get.:)

Thank you again to everyone for your great suggestions and different perspectives for me to think about.

Diane

Tomorrow I plan to go to a store and handle again all three models. I have played with all three last month at the store and I have likes and dislikes on each. These are the current deals I have seen on one of the big known online camera retailers (starts with A); I round prices up to the next dollar:

A6000 with 16-50mm & 55-210mm for $698 (not loving Sony lens selection, love auto focus, concerned about having to dig through menu interface without touch screen)

Panasonic GX85 with 12-32mm & 45-150mm & gift certificate for $698 (love lens selection & touch screen, concerned about continuous auto focus)

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II with 14-42mm & 40-150mm for $800 (see comments above re GX85, also concerned regarding menu interface).

Of course these deals good be gone by the time I make up my mind on which one to get.:)

Thank you again to everyone for your great suggestions and different perspectives for me to think about.

Diane

I'll only comment on the Sony--

The menu system isn't great. But there is a customizable Fn menu and lots of customizable buttons. For most shooters, you can customize the Fn menu and the buttons to the degree where you rarely ever have to turn to the menu. It depends on how many thinks you routinely change.

The lens selection is not the absolute best. It's one reason why pro shooters may still be better off with dSLR -- just because of the lens selection.

BUT... for an ordinary consumer, I can't imagine anyplace where Sony is lacking in lenses.

The 16-50 and 55-210 are both "fair lenses" -- For most consumers, the quality is good enough, paired with small size an cheap prices.

For ultrawide shooting, the Sony 10-18 is actually a very very good lens.

If the 16-50 isn't up to standards, the Zeiss 16-70/4 is a pretty good lens, and still fairly light weight. (But definitely not fitting in a pocket). I *wish* Sony had an APS-C 2.8 zoom for the A6000 -- this is a big hole in the lineup, but won't affect most consumers.

Sticking to this range, Sony has some very very good primes.. the Zeiss 24/1.8, Sony 35/1.8 and 50/1.8 are all quite good.

Moving to telephoto, other than the "fair" 55-210, Sony is lacking in small lightweight telephoto lenses optimized for APS-C. They have some very good FE lenses.... I use the 70-200/4 on the A6300. It's big but not totally massive. Their newer 70-300 is considered quite good and similar in size. So you have the same telephoto options that you'd get with other consumer systems. There is nothing longer than 300mm -- another hole in the lineup. But most consumers aren't ever buying anything longer than 300mm anyway. (Becomes equivalent of 450mm on the A6000). I own 10-15 lenses total, and I really don't have anything longer than 200mm. I have a 300mm prime, being my only lens over 200mm.

I'll agree that the menu system is pretty deep but the 4-way control works as well as any. The customizability is the key. I almost never have to go into the menus except to format a card and it is set to return to last used, so there's no diving.

I agree on the lenses as well. Sony has been putting a lot of effort into full-frame e-mount and has let the APS-C line stagnate for a while. That said, the existing lenses are good. The 18-105, while larger than some would like is really a gem and is on my camera 90% of the time. For traveling light for work and such, the 16-50PZ is another lens that some would sniff at but continues to give me good results. In addition to being able to use any of the FE full-frame lenses as Havoc mentioned, there are a growing number of manual and AF third-party lenses available. With manual focus aids like peaking and magnification, using manual-focus lenses (especially wide-angles like the excellent Rokinon 12mm f/2) is downright easy.

After almost five years with the Sony e-mount cameras, I can honestly say that I never really "needed" a lens that I couldn't get.

I'm really not trying to sell you on the A6000, I just like to see as much info as I can when I shop and like others here have had great success with mine.

Dave

I'm really not trying to sell you on the A6000, I just like to see as much info as I can when I shop and like others here have had great success with mine.

Dave

Dave's advice is pretty "sound-on"

Back in the old days, I sold cameras at Sear's when I was in college back in the early 50's.

Eventually I got almost every NIKKOR lens for my Nikons.

Other than relying on Dave's article on the A6000 and a couple of others, and without too much research, I now have two A6300 and a bunch of Sony lenses. (plus the Rokinon 12mm).

Try it, you might like it.

Edited by tommui987

Going to the store and checking the cameras out is a great option. If you take your own memory cards, you can take shots and take them home to pixel peep. (Although if you're trying 3 different cameras, you might need 3 different cards, I always format my cards between cameras, so I don't know what would happen if you didn't.)

I have the Olympus EM10 mark II which I like a lot, so I can (maybe) answer any questions you have about that camera. The menu system is pretty complex, but seems intuitive once you've delved into it and there are many ways to customize the buttons to get to the settings you want. (Every one, no matter what camera, seems to love their camera but complain about the menus. They are all complicated, because the cameras have so many features.) It has some neat features like focus stacking and the ability to make multiple exposures (I tried to impose a jack-o-lantern face on the moon, but didn't quite nail it.)

If you want to go really small, the Panasonic GM5, also micro 4/3, is the size of a small point and shoot, but has interchangeable lenses. It is probably the last of the line in this small form, and doesn't have some of the newer bells-n-whistles, like 4K video, but I am loving this small package. It comes with a 12-32 mm lens and I added the 35-100mm lens and couldn't be happier. It's sold out in many places, but this is where I bought mine:

http://www.adorama.com/l/Cameras/Mirrorless-Cameras?sf=Price&sel=Model_Panasonic-GM5&term=panasonic-gm5&ShowMsg=t

Good luck with your choices!

Thank you to everyone for your help. After going to the store over the weekend and playing with the cameras, I have it narrowed down to the Sony A6000 and the Olympus Om-D Emc 10 ii (I did briefly play with the flippy screen of the OM-D EMC 5 ii but quickly reminded myself that it was not in my budget). They were the two that felt comfortable hold. I played around with the menus on both and I feel comfortable that I could learn either one without too much frustration. So now I will do a bit more reading and decide which system I want to buy into.

I know I am over analyzing everything, it is just that once I buy something I tend to hang on to it for a long time.

Diane