Norwegian Krone (currency) confusing

Okay, so if one U.S. dollar is worth 6.55 Norwegian Krone, how much is that dollar actually worth in Norway (as far as how many U.S.dollars I will actually spend on food, souvenirs, etc)....40 cents, 50 cents, 60 cents, etc. I hope someone understands what I'm trying to ask.

This may sound like a dumb question but I'd like to get this straight in my head. The Euro is easy but the Krone seems confusing to me.

Edited by midwestchick

Things are generally more expensive in Norway. So forget your conversion formula, and just know may things will cost around 25% more. That is a severe generalization, but it works.

That works for me. (my dollar is worth about 75 cents then) Thanks. That's less expensive than I had originally thought. On our last trip, I knew of a couple that paid 1.48 for their Euros in Rome :eek:...that's very expensive. Glad I buy my foreign currency at home.

Okay, so if one U.S. dollar is worth 6.55 Norwegian Krone, how much is that dollar actually worth in Norway (as far as how many U.S.dollars I will actually spend on food, souvenirs, etc)....40 cents, 50 cents, 60 cents, etc. I hope someone understands what I'm trying to ask. This may sound like a dumb question but I'd like to get this straight in my head. The Euro is easy but the Krone seems confusing to me.

Figuring out the "net cost" in Norway is not that hard. We've been there twice. What's harder is the actual cost as things are expensive in Norway due to their heavy cost of living, high taxes and labor rates, etc., etc.

As an example for a fairly modest lunch, you might spend 426NOK. That could equal $65 for a couple. Be prepared for some forms of "sticker shock" in Norway.

On the Norwegian Krone, per the Wall Street Journal, for each dollar you got in July 2008, 5.08 NOK to the dollar. In early 2000 to 2002, it was valued in the higher range of 8 NOK to 9 NOK to the dollar. For July 7, 2010 while we were there, it was 6.425 NOK to the dollar and July 7, 2011, it was 5.391 NOK to the dollar. Lots of ups and downs on the value of the dollar. Yes, today, it is currently 6.55 NOK to the dollar.

As an example for a fine dining place near Bergen, http://www.cornelius-restaurant.no, they list "3-course menu including boat-transport round trip kr. 795". Take that cost of 795 NOK and divide it by 6.55 to come up with a U.S. cost of $121.37. Not all place in Norway are this high-end or costly, but whatever their NOK price, just divide by 6.55 and you have the cost in U.S. dollars.

Does this help? Other questions? Which ports are you planning to visit. See more on Norway from my live/blog linked below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 160,665 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In the Bergen market area, here’s one of the sales tent offerings for local woolen products. Here, they have prices market in dollars and euros. Generally the woolen items seemed to be a fairly good value in this costly country.

BergenWoolenStore.jpg

While doing the Flam rail trip, here are some gift samples that we saw at the Vatnahalsen Hotell. This includes a few dolls.:

DSC_1553.jpg

Glad I buy my foreign currency at home.

We've traveled in 22 countries in Europe, plus in many other parts of the world. Do not generally agree with buying your foreign currency at home. They might tell you that there is no "conversion charge", but most banks give you a marginal to bad "rate of exchange". It can add up. Generally a bank ATM will do a better rate. Maybe you want a little currency in hand prior to your visit. BUT, it can get costly getting lots of cash ahead in that manner. Do more checking and comparing.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 81,667 views for this fun posting.

We've traveled in 22 countries in Europe, plus in many other parts of the world. Do not generally agree with buying your foreign currency at home. They might tell you that there is no "conversion charge", but most banks give you a marginal to bad "rate of exchange". It can add up. Generally a bank ATM will do a better rate. Maybe you want a little currency in hand prior to your visit. BUT, it can get costly getting lots of cash ahead in that manner. Do more checking and comparing.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 81,667 views for this fun posting.

We actually do really well at Wells Fargo and I've checked other resources before we travel. We paid 1.36 compared to that couple who bought their Euros from a bank ATM in Rome...1.48 was awful. I'm pretty frugal when it comes to exchanging money.

I've seen most of your pictures, Terry. I always enjoy them and so happy that you post them.

i get money on the ship.. if a hotel first imight have some money but i tend to charge my taxi as it is jsut easier after flying all night.

elbon,

From what I've read and been told, the ship has some of the worst exchange rates there is. I've not done my exchanges on board. I know you are a very experienced cruiser but I have found better pricing here in the U.S.

I've seen most of your pictures, Terry. I always enjoy them and so happy that you post them.

Appreciate your nice comments including on my pictures. WOW!! You've got some great stops for a cruise starting in Amsterdam. As I understand, this includes two days in charming Bergen, then stops in Flam/Gudvangen, Geiranger, Svolvaer in the wonderful Lofoten Islands, Tromsø, Honningsvåg, etc. Have not been to Olden and Stavanger. Lots to see and enjoy.

Let us know any added questions.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 186,333 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Appreciate your nice comments including on my pictures. WOW!! You've got some great stops for a cruise starting in Amsterdam. As I understand, this includes two days in charming Bergen, then stops in Flam/Gudvangen, Geiranger, Svolvaer in the wonderful Lofoten Islands, Tromsø, Honningsvåg, etc. Have not been to Olden and Stavanger. Lots to see and enjoy.

Let us know any added questions.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 186,333 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Yes, indeed....wonderful itinerary. Cruising is still fairly new to us, but we have had some wonderful voyages. We fell in love with Azamara and love the overnights and longer stays in port.

Glacier and Stavanger’s charming old town.

AZAMARA QUEST®

DATE PORT/CITY ACTIVITY ARRIVAL DEPART

THU 11-AUG AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS Embark 6:00 pm

FRI 12-AUG AT SEA Cruising

SAT 13-AUG BERGEN, NORWAY Docked 8:00 am

SUN 14-AUG BERGEN, NORWAY Docked 6:00 pm

MON 15-AUG FLAM, NORWAY Tendered 8:00 am 2:00 pm

MON 15-AUG GUDVANGEN, NORWAY Tendered 4:00 pm 6:00 pm

TUE 16-AUG GEIRANGER, NORWAY Tendered 12:30 pm 6:00 pm

WED 17-AUG ARCTIC CIRCLE (CRUISE) Cruising

THU 18-AUG SVOLVAER, LOFOTEN ISLANDS, NORWAY Docked 8:00 am 5:00 pm

FRI 19-AUG TROMSO, NORWAY Docked 12:00 pm 6:00 pm

SAT 20-AUG HONNINGSVAG, NORWAY Docked 10:00 am 10:00 pm

SUN 21-AUG AT SEA Cruising

MON 22-AUG AT SEA Cruising

TUE 23-AUG OLDEN, NORWAY Docked 8:00 am 6:00 pm

WED 24-AUG STAVANGER, NORWAY Docked 1:00 pm 7:00 pm

THU 25-AUG AT SEA Cruising

FRI 26-AUG AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS Debark 6:00 am

Edited by midwestchick

Yes, indeed....wonderful itinerary. Cruising is still fairly new to us, but we have had some wonderful voyages. We fell in love with Azamara and love the overnights and longer stays in port.

Have not yet tried Azamara and am glad to hear of your good experiences. We have only done five cruises. Used four different cruise line companies. Our sixth cruise coming up Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days on the Silversea Silver Cloud. Fun doing that future research and planning!!

It is great that you have an overnight, two full days in Bergen. Super charming city with so much character, great architecture, spectacular setting, nice people, etc. And for either before and/or after your cruise, Amsterdam offers some great potentials there and nearby.

Happy to share more and answer any other questions. Your only problem? It's not until August 2016 that you will doing this "adventure"!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 160,811 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

FWIW, I use a 10:1 conversion rate to adjust for cost of living when I want to think in dollars. 10 NOK buys you pretty close to $1 of stuff. It's an easy calculation, and it works out reasonably close to what you get if you combine the currency conversion with The Economist's Big Mac index for cost of living.

Some examples:

Coffee on the way to work: 40 NOK - $4

Basic pint of beer at a pub: 60 NOK - $6

Recent bestselling book: 140 NOK - $14

Cheap pair of shoes: 300 NOK - $30

Dress from a mall fashion chain: 800 NOK - $80

Designer Norwegian sweater: 2000 NOK - $200

Edited by kaisatsu

Something you might want to take into account is that Visitors from the US can reclaim the sales tax which is charged on goods that you take out of the country. The price tags you see include that tax so the real,cost to you is about 20% less.

Thank you. That means I don't have to spend a certain amount in one store, correct?

How do you collect this money....at the airport, the same as VAT?

FWIW, I use a 10:1 conversion rate to adjust for cost of living when I want to think in dollars. 10 NOK buys you pretty close to $1 of stuff. It's an easy calculation, and it works out reasonably close to what you get if you combine the currency conversion with The Economist's Big Mac index for cost of living.

Some examples:

Coffee on the way to work: 40 NOK - $4

Basic pint of beer at a pub: 60 NOK - $6

Recent bestselling book: 140 NOK - $14

Cheap pair of shoes: 300 NOK - $30

Dress from a mall fashion chain: 800 NOK - $80

Designer Norwegian sweater: 2000 NOK - $200

Thank you. Nice little conversion chart.

Terry in Ohio...if I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask.

Sorry I don't know how to do more than on quote at a time.

Glacier and Stavanger’s charming old town.

AZAMARA QUEST®

DATE PORT/CITY ACTIVITY ARRIVAL DEPART

THU 11-AUG AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS Embark 6:00 pm

FRI 12-AUG AT SEA Cruising

SAT 13-AUG BERGEN, NORWAY Docked 8:00 am

SUN 14-AUG BERGEN, NORWAY Docked 6:00 pm

MON 15-AUG FLAM, NORWAY Tendered 8:00 am 2:00 pm

MON 15-AUG GUDVANGEN, NORWAY Tendered 4:00 pm 6:00 pm

TUE 16-AUG GEIRANGER, NORWAY Tendered 12:30 pm 6:00 pm

WED 17-AUG ARCTIC CIRCLE (CRUISE) Cruising

THU 18-AUG SVOLVAER, LOFOTEN ISLANDS, NORWAY Docked 8:00 am 5:00 pm

FRI 19-AUG TROMSO, NORWAY Docked 12:00 pm 6:00 pm

SAT 20-AUG HONNINGSVAG, NORWAY Docked 10:00 am 10:00 pm

SUN 21-AUG AT SEA Cruising

MON 22-AUG AT SEA Cruising

TUE 23-AUG OLDEN, NORWAY Docked 8:00 am 6:00 pm

WED 24-AUG STAVANGER, NORWAY Docked 1:00 pm 7:00 pm

THU 25-AUG AT SEA Cruising

FRI 26-AUG AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS Debark 6:00 am

We have friends booked on the same itinerary. I think they are doing the B2B2B2B. I am contemplating the same cruise:)

Apart from the overnight stay in Bergen you will spend surprisingly little time in the ports. Ports I think deserves more port time to do them justice.

I am surprised as Azamara usually spend lots of time in port. On a brighter side I suppose the ship will spend time cruising the "inland passages".

If you have any questions about Norway let me know and I will do m best to help you.

We have friends booked on the same itinerary. I think they are doing the B2B2B2B. I am contemplating the same cruise:)

Apart from the overnight stay in Bergen you will spend surprisingly little time in the ports. Ports I think deserves more port time to do them justice.

I am surprised as Azamara usually spend lots of time in port. On a brighter side I suppose the ship will spend time cruising the "inland passages".

If you have any questions about Norway let me know and I will do m best to help you.

I did notice that, but since Norway is an unknown destination, I didn't question it but will try and find out why there is not a lot of time in ports...there must be a good reason for it, knowing Azamara.

Thank you for your offer about asking questions. I'll keep that in mind and I'm certainly not shy about asking. ;) :D

If you think you want to do the cruise, I'd hop on it....there really isn't a lot of availability left. The cabins are going quickly.

Edited by midwestchick

Norwegian woollen goods are usually of high quality and very hard-wearing. They make nice gifts but they're often very heavy which can be a problem if you're restricted for weight flying home.

Edited by aquilegia
Error in original

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess June 12.2015 for 15 days and with the exception of the Bergen overnight we will be in each port a lot longer than the cruise on Azamara. It begins and ends in Southampton.I totally dislike Amsterdam so this is fine with me.Check it out.:D

Edited by letsgo39