Dress code free style dinning

Scuba

Sailing this Saturday on Norwegian Getaway, started to pack, I need info on evening free style dinning. Can guys wear nice pair of shorts and a Polo shirt to dinner ? Or have to wear long pants with a dress shirt ? What are people wearing to free style dinning these days?

Free style or anytime dining have the same dress code as fixed time dining. There are formal nights that have the same dress code for both. Shorts are not appropriate in the dining room for dinner. You can always go to the buffet which is always very casual.

Edited by denmarks

The OP is sailing with NCL. NCL is not hung up on playing dress-up. Casual wear including shorts are acceptable in the Main Dining Rooms.

Wrong - there is a more formal dining room where shorts are specifically not allowed. The second, more casual dining room, allows shorts. Le Bistro also does not allow shorts.

The OP is sailing with NCL. NCL is not hung up on playing dress-up. Casual wear including shorts are acceptable in the Main Dining Rooms.

Shouldn't "Free Style" mean I can wear my tank top and short shorts in any restaurant?

shorts.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

Free style or anytime dining have the same dress code as fixed time dining. There are formal nights that have the same dress code for both. Shorts are not appropriate in the dining room for dinner. You can always go to the buffet which is always very casual.

NCL does not have Formal Nights. They have one MDR and one Specialty restaurant that have a slightly higher dress code every night. All other MDR and specialty restaurants have a dress code that does accept shorts and jeans every night. Just because you think they are inappropriate doesn't mean they are. It is freestyle, there is no fixed dining time either. Some people dress up but I have to on our Epic cruise the majority did not. It was the most relaxed dress cruise I have ever been on. It is freestyle...your choice to dress up or not.

NCL does not have Formal Nights. They have one MDR and one Specialty restaurant that have a slightly higher dress code every night. All other MDR and specialty restaurants have a dress code that does accept shorts and jeans every night. Just because you think they are inappropriate doesn't mean they are. It is freestyle, there is no fixed dining time either. Some people dress up but I have to on our Epic cruise the majority did not. It was the most relaxed dress cruise I have ever been on. It is freestyle...your choice to dress up or not.

About as elegant as dining at Applebees or Denny's. Boring!

Fortunately, on the better cruise lines dining in their restaurants is still something nice and elegant instead of like a cheap and quick meal in a truck stop diner. :p

Edited by fortinweb

Sailing this Saturday on Norwegian Getaway, started to pack, I need info on evening free style dinning. Can guys wear nice pair of shorts and a Polo shirt to dinner ? Or have to wear long pants with a dress shirt ? What are people wearing to free style dinning these days?

Yes! Shorts and a Polo shirt will be fine.

You will probably get more helpful replies on the NCL forum here on CC.

Have a great cruise! :)

LuLu

In the dinning room, pretty much anything goes for attire.

We don't partake of the buffet, rather we prefer the dining room for dinner.

In the dining rooms there are some rules that may or may not be enforced depending on the time of year and the homeport. There is normally a dining room that wants guys to wear big-boy pants and a reasonable shirt. This isn't always enforced on some ships and itineraries.

About as elegant as dining at Applebees or Denny's. Boring!

Fortunately, on the better cruise lines dining in their restaurants is still something nice and elegant instead of like a cheap and quick meal in a truck stop diner. :p

If you want elegant you have your options on other lines. We prefer casual when we are on vacation....NCL gives us that. FWIW I've never had a cheap quick meal in the MDR or Specialty Restaurants on NCL. It may not be elegant but it is a far cry from cheap and quick.

Seems to me Freestyle should mean there is no dress code. Shorts, tank tops, no shirt, etc should be allowed.

Maybe if I was 19 (again), and had the body for it, I could wear just my jock for dinner?

Bring some grown-up pants for dinner. It might not be required, but it is the adult thing to do.

Why do people need to be so condescending about what others wear when what they are wearing is perfectly acceptable by the host? It may not be your style but that doesn't mean it is childish (as opposed to the "adult" thing to do:rolleyes:).

Only if it's color coordinated. The question is, coordinated with what? :D

Oh I'd also have a bow-tie on of course; I forgot to mention that. If it was a formal night they would be black.

Edited by Treven