Dream Turned Nightmare

Just back from 20/11/14 Iberian Escapade. Just wondering what others thought?

I'll write more about it in a bit but the low points were unusable cabin from 0800-1800 on days 4,5,6 and 7 due to extremely loud noise from refurbishments on stairwell C, half a day without running water and final evening with no hot water for final night. Complained at the time and just told there was nothing that could be done.

Today they couldn't even wait an hour for us to get off the ship and they shut the stair well leading to lido so we had to wait an age to get lifts.

Very poor experience overall. I won't be rushing back to Thomson. Whilst I appreciate the need to renovate, turning a ship into a building site for half of the holiday is just not acceptable.

Edited by FOD1984

Just back from 20/11/14 Iberian Escapade. Just wondering what others thought?

I'll write more about it in a bit but the low points were unusable cabin from 0800-1800 on days 4,5,6 and 7 due to extremely loud noise from refurbishments on stairwell C, half a day without running water and final evening with no hot water for final night. Complained at the time and just told there was nothing that could be done.

Today they couldn't even wait an hour for us to get off the ship and they shut the stair well leading to lido so we had to wait an age to get lifts.

Very poor experience overall. I won't be rushing back to Thomson. Whilst I appreciate the need to renovate, turning a ship into a building site for half of the holiday is just not acceptable.

So sorry to hear of your experience - that really isn't on imo. :(

I think I may have mentioned this before, but when we were on Dream in September, at Civi, (Rome) the tap water was disconnected all day from 9.00am without any warning. Well .... we were warned on Deck 6 by the banging outside our cabin where they were replacing the water pipes in the ceiling void in the corridors. We were told not to worry...it was "ongoing maintenance". Even the coffee machines were not working as they are connected to the main water supply.

Kruzseeka, I was talking just last week to someone who was on the Dream TA last year when you were on. He was disgusted with the food and complained on the ship and spoke to someone in authority about it. He was hoping his Celebrity cruise around Australia and NZ was going to be a whole lot better.

I agree with you, it isn't acceptable. This is why they schedule downtime, and it's booked into Gibraltar for the next few days to have work done.

Kruzseeka, I was talking just last week to someone who was on the Dream TA last year when you were on. He was disgusted with the food and complained on the ship and spoke to someone in authority about it. He was hoping his Celebrity cruise around Australia and NZ was going to be a whole lot better.

We were on then too and didn't think the food was that bad. It wasn't as good as when we were on in Feb 2012 but it certainly wasn't bad.

Well I've tried not to make too much of it Jakanne as I really don't want to put others off - and in any case as I've often said any cruise is just a snap shot in time and may be quite different next week, month or season.

But since you've mentioned it and presumably are interested in my take on it, I have to say I agree with your friend. We thought it was pretty poor in the MDR tbh. So much pork almost every day in all kinds of guises - even pork Wellington (what's that about? Well of course it's cost cutting - pork being the cheapest meat!) We only saw lamb in kebabs or curry and beef in Strongonoffs or the like. No leg of lamb, lamb shanks, steaks, quality beef cuts as in the past (unless you paid extra for steak of course). TBH we don't eat that much steak - and I'm not saying there wasn't something on the menu we could eat but it was very ordinary. We just didn't look forward to our evening meals at all. I get the impression that the buffet was better but we like to dress up and make the evening meal an occasion. I thought breakfasts and lunches were fine btw.

Two large gataeu sized pieces of spinach quiche with nothing else on the plate at all was the veggie option on Gala night! The people next to us asked what else came with the meal and the waiter brought them a plate of chips to share!!!

It's the reason we have begun trying other cruise lines - if not for the decline in food we'd never have looked elsewhere. We don't mind the older ships at all and the staff, entertainment and ambience suit us very well indeed. I'm still hopeful that things have improved on the food front - and for a brill itinerary at the right price we'd still consider Thomson but that would be the compromise we'd be making.

Tell your friend if the Celebrity ship is anything like the Infinity the food is in a different league! We've thought it better than P&O and even pipped the QE so I hope he has as good an experience as we did of the food on Celebrity.

Sorry if that upsets anyone - but that is my honest assessment of that TA - hopefully there has been an improvment since. And for anyone who is tempted to say we were being too picky - I'm comparing with our experiences of Thomson over many years and I've never complained about the food before in over two dozen previous cruises. Had your friend travelled with Thomson before?

Duck!!! :rolleyes:

P.S. I can't tell you how upset it makes me to say this as I just love the Dream - and my Thomson cruises!

Edited by kruzseeka

I have to agree with Kruzseeka here.

I also had the 2 wedges of quiche with nothing else on the plate. For a main course on a cruise it beggars belief.

Pork is my least favourite meat and there was plenty of it! No roasts, steaks (unless you pay extra), lamb, chicken or beef unless cheap cuts dressed up in curries or stews.

The food on the TA didn't come anywhere close to our previous Thomson experiences and resulted in us trying Celebrity where the food was absolutely superb!

The drinks service in the Lido and in Oceans Bar was very, very slow and sometimes in the Lido it was a case of going to the Bar. We prefer to use the MDR and it is one of the highlights of our holiday but the food was inadequate so we ate in the buffet on a number of occasions. The service in the MDR was so slow that it could take 2 hours for 2 courses!

I have said this before but IMO the food on the Dream has too much of an Asian influence while I prefer French or European cuisine which we enjoyed on Celebrity.

I wouldn't have mentioned a cruise that was a year ago but there are still complaints about the drop in quality of food on the Dream and other Thomson ships.

Edited by Little Nell

I was on Dream early this month. I have breakfast very early in the buffet and there was a 'builder' type selecting all the healthy options. I jokingly commented 'what, no fryup'. 'No' he replied i am fed up of them. iv'e been onboard for weeks replacing the plumbing.

Same experience as we had on Celebration this year. I firmly believe standards have plummeted with a proportional rise in cost. We have jumped to Celebrity too and won't be returning to Thomson.

I am ducking already!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The food in the MDR had obviously improved from the TA by the time I was on Dream with 3 friends in Feb/March and was about the same when with DH in September.....nothing special, just ok. My DH was not at all impressed but did enjoy the breakfasts in Orion. However, we did a cruise and stay and the hotel food was far better quality, the staff just as friendly and more efficient and we had a balcony! It did bring things into perspective but I still like the idea of visiting different ports. We have still not decided on our next cruise but it will not be on Dream according to DH. I feel Celebrity may be the next cruise after reports on here. :rolleyes:

Ha ha!

Seriously though, I think she is becoming a liability.

Then that's a problem for Thomson as she's on a ten year charter to Thomson from 2010. With, get this, an option to purchase her after 5 years!

Will be interesting to see if they exercise that right next year or not.

On a lighter note, we're about to embark on our third cruise with her next week, and haven't had any real problems with her. There was a little leak above our heads one night in the MDR last December, but nothing major, and as it was a big table with just 3 of us on, we moved round to the other side.

It could have been a sign from above that I needed a shower, but as I'd already had one that year I didn't think I needed another one :D:D:D

Actually I really like the Dream - from a design point of view it's definitely my favourite Thomson ship. There's nothing that can't be fixed imo with some additional investment especially in the food budget. The refurb and plumbing issues should be tackled when there are no passengers on board. But that to one side, I'd be quite happy if the food was the same quality and choice of a couple of years ago. I'll be pleased to hear if that is the case.

I hope you have a great cruise Baggers - you don't need me to tell you that Thomson itineraries are superb and the ambience, people and entertainment the best. Much to enjoy! I'll be interested in your feedback too.

Actually I really like the Dream - from a design point of view it's definitely my favourite Thomson ship. There's nothing that can't be fixed imo with some additional investment especially in the food budget. The refurb and plumbing issues should be tackled when there are no passengers on board. But that to one side, I'd be quite happy if the food was the same quality and choice of a couple of years ago. I'll be pleased to hear if that is the case.

I hope you have a great cruise Baggers - you don't need me to tell you that Thomson itineraries are superb and the ambience, people and entertainment the best. Much to enjoy! I'll be interested in your feedback too.

Thanks kruzseeka, it's not long now so getting very excited!

Apollo apparently took over on the Celebration immediately after it's refit and the reports on FB seem to be positive with regards to the food choice and quality. I've even seen a report with regards to steaks being available for no extra charge!

Apollo took over on the Dream today, presumably to prepare themselves for the first sailing next week, so fingers crossed, and will definitely report back when we're home!

Edited by BaggersCruising

Thanks kruzseeka, it's not long now so getting very excited!

Apollo apparently took over on the Celebration immediately after it's refit and the reports on FB seem to be positive with regards to the food choice and quality. I've even seen a report with regards to steaks being available for no extra charge!

Apollo took over on the Dream today, presumably to prepare themselves for the first sailing next week, so fingers crossed, and will definitely report back when we're home!

That sounds very hopeful. Good news! :)

Have a great time, Baggers.

I am extremely jealous and would love to be going too :D

I am also a fan of the ship and indeed we are looking at going back on her next year. The things that are wrong with her are all in Thomson's control to put right.....when the passengers are not there ;)

There are many things I really like about the ship: the spacious cabins; the ample deck space; the choice of a quiet or lively pool; the theatre; the promenade deck.

The Dream is the last ship in the fleet that I would choose to get rid off :rolleyes:

Edited by Little Nell

Have a great time, Baggers.

I am extremely jealous and would love to be going too :D

I am also a fan of the ship and indeed we are looking at going back on her next year. The things that are wrong with her are all in Thomson's control to put right.....when the passengers are not there ;)

There are many things I really like about the ship: the spacious cabins; the ample deck space; the choice of a quiet or lively pool; the theatre; the promenade deck.

The Dream is the last ship in the fleet that I would choose to get rid off :rolleyes:

Have to agree with everything you've said Little Nell and we have already booked for next year. I seem to be in a minority in also liking all the entertainment on one level.

Have to agree with everything you've said Little Nell and we have already booked for next year. I seem to be in a minority in also liking all the entertainment on one level.

We loved the Dream; our first time on her this year having been on the Spirit & Celebration several times & I think it is now marginally our favourite ship. We liked all the entertainment on one level too. :)