International phones onboard

ptcellen

Just wondering if anyone has used an international phone while on board the Marina, how it worked, and if it was more economical than using the internet on the ship. We will be on the 16 day crossing in November. By the way, we have Verizon wireless service.

Thank you.

Ellen:)

Depends -- phone, text messages or email.

Verizon has a good planner and it can show you what phone and what plan you may need...

If you are going to be doing heavy data -- then use the Wifi of the ship for your mail. It is time oriented and not data. However time charges are high as we paid $128 for 200 minutes (that includes a 20% discount),

If your just going to check and read mail -- would suggest you sign up for the Global Data plan for the months you are gone. 100MB of data for around $25/month.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

Edited by PaulMCO

If you do not know about VIBER -- a free app for smart phones -- let me educate you. It is amazing.

If you and the recipient both have VIBER you can call one another at no charge. You can also text for free through wifi. Both send and recipient must have the app. It does not work with landlines. Only smart phones.

I called friends from Iceland, Scotland and the middle of the ocean from the ship and it cost ZERO.

http://www.viber.com

Not sure if Oceania has a cellphone connection program, can't find any info on the website. But if they do, it will be very expensive. It might do for text messages, you'd have to check, and you should check your provider as well. I find that with my provider, international text messages are $.75 wherever I go, and I believe it's the same on a cruise ship. But "talk" is always expensive, so the ship's wifi and email would be cheaper. Viber uses wifi or 3G, so you're stuck with wifi connect charges anyways.

Not sure if Oceania has a cellphone connection program, can't find any info on the website. But if they do, it will be very expensive. It might do for text messages, you'd have to check, and you should check your provider as well. I find that with my provider, international text messages are $.75 wherever I go, and I believe it's the same on a cruise ship. But "talk" is always expensive, so the ship's wifi and email would be cheaper. Viber uses wifi or 3G, so you're stuck with wifi connect charges anyways.

Not really.

If you have an unlimited internet package (that's what we get) and are paying for internet anyway, you can text for free. Without Viber, we would be charged for texting by ATT. Every carrier charges for international texts. The phone is best part. Your calls are completely free to another Viber subscriber anywhere in the world.

If you do not know about VIBER -- a free app for smart phones -- let me educate you. It is amazing.

If you and the recipient both have VIBER you can call one another at no charge. You can also text for free through wifi. Both send and recipient must have the app. It does not work with landlines. Only smart phones.

I called friends from Iceland, Scotland and the middle of the ocean from the ship and it cost ZERO.

http://www.viber.com

Laraine, that wins the prize for Best Tip of the Day!! Thank you!

Edited by Aloha 1

Not really.

If you have an unlimited internet package (that's what we get) and are paying for internet anyway, you can text for free. Without Viber, we would be charged for texting by ATT. Every carrier charges for international texts. The phone is best part. Your calls are completely free to another Viber subscriber anywhere in the world.

Yes, fine if you have an unlimited internet package.

If one is in port or close enough to a tower for service, use of Viber can be free. However, if one is at sea, as in a crossing, and the call goes out over/through Oceania's trunk, you will have to pay O for that service, at some level.

If one is in port or close enough to a tower for service, use of Viber can be free. However, if one is at sea, as in a crossing, and the call goes out over/through Oceania's trunk, you will have to pay O for that service, at some level.

A Viber call is free -- even in the middle of the ocean.

I just came back from Greenland (where it did not work BtW -- nothing does LOL), Iceland, Faroes etc. I made a ton of free calls, including from the ship, and even at sea. Reception was superb as well.

It's a no brainer. It's free. If it doesn't work you can always pay your carrier.

Again, just be clear, not argumentative, it's free if you have included wifi.

Correct

I was just countering the point that if the call goes through Oceania's trunk (e.g. Cellular at sea) there is a charge. There is not. The call goes strictly through wifi.

If you have Comcast home phone service and put the free Xfinity Connect app on your smart phone (Apple or Android), then you can call anywhere in the USA just as if you were calling from your home phone. Since most Comcast phone plans include free long distance (U.S.), you can call anywhere in the U.S. without charge (using wifi). AND, if anybody calls you on your home phone number, you will receive the call onboard (on your smartphone via wifi) and without charge to either party. Again, anybody who wants to reach you onboard would simply call your home landline phone number and voila.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/phone/voice-2go-faqs/

Edited by ohmark

If you have Comcast home phone service and put the free Xfinity Connect app on your smart phone (Apple or Android), then you can call anywhere in the USA just as if you were calling from your home phone. Since most Comcast phone plans include free long distance (U.S.), you can call anywhere in the U.S. without charge (using wifi). AND, if anybody calls you on your home phone number, you will receive the call onboard (on your smartphone via wifi) and without charge to either party. Again, anybody who wants to reach you onboard would simply call your home landline phone number and voila.

Interesting -- as we are just now changing over to Comcast home phone service.

Does this work for international calls? Eg someone from US calling me while I am on board ship?

Why would Myanmar be different from anywhere else in the world?

Because ATT, T-Mobile and Verizon do not have a reciprocal agreement with local provider. So you have to find an internet cafe when in port, or use ships WiFi..

Did you try this on board?? Would think MTN might block this as it is a bandwidth hog.

Interesting -- as we are just now changing over to Comcast home phone service.

Does this work for international calls? Eg someone from US calling me while I am on board ship?

If somebody calls your home phone landline from anywhere in the world, the Comcast app will ring on your smartphone (anywhere in the world), you answer the call, and have your conversation. If you call somebody from the ship (using the app), the person who receives the call will assume it's from your home landline because their caller ID will read out with your home landline number. When we were in rural Provence last year and my wife broke her ankle, we were able to make numerous calls to U.S. doctors and insurance companies and even to make 800 toll free phone numbers in the U.S. without charge (because we had free wifi in our accommodation) and, generally, without problem. And the doctors and insurance companies were able to call us in France just by calling our home landline phone number. T

This will work onboard a cruise ship, unless the cruise line decides to throttle down wifi to prevent usage of such apps. Don't believe this is a "bandwith hog" at all because it is only carrying audio, unlike video Skype (which would be). Also useful in ports anywhere in the world, where you might have access to wifi.

Edited by ohmark

If somebody calls your home phone landline from anywhere in the world, the Comcast app will ring on your smartphone (anywhere in the world), you answer the call, and have your conversation. If you call somebody from the ship (using the app), the person who receives the call will assume it's from your home landline because their caller ID will read out with your home landline number. When we were in rural Provence last year and my wife broke her ankle, we were able to make numerous calls to U.S. doctors and insurance companies and even to make 800 toll free phone numbers in the U.S. without charge (because we had free wifi in our accommodation) and, generally, without problem. And the doctors and insurance companies were able to call us in France just by calling our home landline phone number. T

This will work onboard a cruise ship, unless the cruise line decides to throttle down wifi to prevent usage of such apps. Don't believe this is a "bandwith hog" at all because it is only carrying audio, unlike video Skype (which would be). Also useful in ports anywhere in the world, where you might have access to wifi.

Fabulous. Our phones are being switched over Sunday. With this and Viber for texting and for my friends wit Viber I am all set.

Fabulous. Our phones are being switched over Sunday. With this and Viber for texting and for my friends wit Viber I am all set.

You can also text (free) via the Comcast app. And it doesn't matter whether or not your friends have Viber, the Comcast app, or even a smartphone. As long as they have a phone capable of receiving texts. But remember, you need two things to do make phone calls or texts via the Comcast app: You need a Comcast home phone landline and the Comcast app on your smartphone.

Edited by ohmark

You can also text (free) via the Comcast app. And it doesn't matter whether or not your friends have Viber, the Comcast app, or even a smartphone. As long as they have a phone capable of receiving texts. But remember, you need two things to do make phone calls or texts via the Comcast app: You need a Comcast home phone landline and the Comcast app on your smartphone.

Great information. I will have both!