Any older solos?

MiddleAgedBroad

As a relatively (3 years) recent widow, it's time for me to stop waiting for people to go on vacation with and venture out on my own. It seems sometimes when I read that most solo cruisers are young and, well, cruising. I am a friendly 61 year old not looking for hookups (or husband #2), but just want a relaxing vacation with interesting ports, hanging out with friendly people of any age, and yes, solo down time on my balcony to read and think.

Are there any older solo cruisers here? What has your experience been?

I'm close to same age. Went on ncl getaway solo last dec 2015 and going again dec 2016 I had a great time. Always had someone to eat dinner with and also some excusions. I had great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As a relatively (3 years) recent widow, it's time for me to stop waiting for people to go on vacation with and venture out on my own. It seems sometimes when I read that most solo cruisers are young and, well, cruising. I am a friendly 61 year old not looking for hookups (or husband #2), but just want a relaxing vacation with interesting ports, hanging out with friendly people of any age, and yes, solo down time on my balcony to read and think.

66 always cruising single love it.:)

I think the average ages of the solo cruisers may have to do with itinerary and cruise length. Both my solo cruises have been in Europe and the average age when I was on the NCL Epic was, I am sure, about 10 year older than I am!

I'm 57 and have cruised solo twice and have four more booked! LOVE solo cruising! My kids are all adults now and I'm not about to cruise with my ex-husband (and, like you, I'm not looking for #2). LOL.

One of the things I love about solo cruising is the option to be by myself if I want to be or join in with others if that's what suits. I've met some great people on my roll calls at the meet and greets and shared tours with them. I especially enjoyed my cruise on NCL Epic. They have studio cabins so I didn't have to pay 200% cruise fare. For those who want to eat their meals with other solos, you can sign up for dinners and also go to shows with other solos (all arranged by a crew member who runs a get-together at 6:00 p.m. each day.

My next cruise is a one-nighter so I don't plan to spend much time with others (although there are a few people on the roll call I'm getting together with for drinks) and then the next day I board another ship for a longer cruise and plan to spend significant time by myself on my balcony. :D

I have been cruising solo for over 20 years, and while I was younger when I first started it seems I get older each year for some strange reason. I have enjoyed all my cruises through the years but things change with time. Less time in the bars than when I was younger and more time in the libraries or just relaxing. I am a year older than you are now, but I still enjoy solo cruising as much as I did when I was in my 30's & 40's. I have met some very nice people through the years, and a few stinkers who shall remain nameless. Neil

Hi, 64 y/o here. Cruised Solo 5 times. Loved every second. You can join in or have "self" time. Just booked btbtbtbtb next year, carb, transatlantic, Canary Islands & Med. 32 days. Cannot wait. Note took family on escape 1 month ago, it was great, but love solo. Enjoy!

Hi, 64 y/o here. Cruised Solo 5 times. Loved every second. You can join in or have "self" time. Just booked btbtbtbtb next year, carb, transatlantic, Canary Islands & Med. 32 days. Cannot wait. Note took family on escape 1 month ago, it was great, but love solo. Enjoy!

JEALOUS!! :p

I'm recently widowed. After many years cruising with my dear husband, I decided to try sailing solo. I am very glad that I dared to go it alone. Remember, with so many friendly cruisers on every ship, you'll never be lonely. I have booked 6 cruises into 2018. The longest will be 35 days. Can't wait!!!:)

I am a solo cruiser over 60. I love cruising and the only thing I don't care for in solo cruising is having to pay extra supplements.

I feel if I had a problem that I could get any help I might need and I enjoy the privacy and room in the cabin. If I want company I can find it.

I spend time alone at home and cope just fine. I will continue to travel as long as I am able. I would regret not going. We all need something to look forward to and for me it is cruising.

Happy cruising

6boysnana

In my 50's and I love cruising solo. For one thing, as a woman traveling alone - I actually feel much safer on solo cruise vacations than land-only vacations.

And I think it's so much easier to socialize on a cruise. Find an activity and you'll meet up with people who could end up being friends for life...you never know.

If you love cruising, don't let being solo stop you. It's safe, fun & you get to do whatever you want - as long as you aren't breaking any laws ;)

In my 50's and I love cruising solo. For one thing, as a woman traveling alone - I actually feel much safer on solo cruise vacations than land-only vacations.

And I think it's so much easier to socialize on a cruise. Find an activity and you'll meet up with people who could end up being friends for life...you never know.

If you love cruising, don't let being solo stop you. It's safe, fun & you get to do whatever you want - as long as you aren't breaking any laws ;)

That is exactly how I feel. I'm 57 and past the days when I would fly off to Paris or London alone. I love to cruise and my friends won't even try it so I am happy on my own. Once I got past feeling strange eating dinner alone, I was set. Can't wait to go again!

Are there any routes/ships that are more geared toward older travelers? I would hate to go to some kind of solo meetup and find myself in a crowd of young singles.

I wouldn't say I am shy, and I AM friendly, but I have never been fully able to get out of my high school head, where I was treated like the fat weird chick. I recently moved to a new state and it has helped that I HAVE to get out.

It also doesn't help that I have RBF (ask me if you don't know what that means) and when my face is at rest it doesn't look happy even if I am.

When my husband was alive, I always wanted to pal around with other couples on vacation, but he never wanted to, so we didn't. The one cruise we took, we ate at the buffet every night because we don't like to dress up.

I'm sort of thinking in terms of taking a very short cruise to start, maybe 3 days or so, just to see how I do, before committing to a week. I like the idea of hanging around in the library or other places on the ship rather than doing the bar thing, which I found depressing in my 20s and would find horrifying now.

Generally speaking, the longer the cruise the older the demographic, whether solo or not. I think a 3 day cruise will be the exact opposite of what you are looking for. Also, higher end and pricier cruises will also tend to attract older cruisers vs younger.

I'm in my mid 50s and have only done 2 solo cruises, but I've traveled various places around the world solo in the last dozen years. I won't say I prefer traveling solo over sharing the trip with someone, but I sure prefer it to staying home.

There was a funny saying that cruises used to be for the newly wed or nearly dead; however, today you'll find all types of people and ages. The general rules is the longer the cruise and/or colder the cruise itinerary the older the passenger base. Week long summer cruises to the Caribbean are going to get a younger party crowd with a more diverse crowd vs an Alaskan cruise were most passenger are 60+. The key to your question is to pick an itinerary and ship wisely as not all ships are created equal in quality and passenger demographics. You should look at cruise lines like Holland America, Cunard and maybe Celebrity & Princess who caters to an old demographics. Getting involved with your sailing's "Roll Call" is a great way to meet people prior to departure. Some lines like HAL have Cruisecritic roll call socials in one of the lounges to meet those you'd been chatting with here on CC. Cruising is perfect for solos because if offers many ways to connect with people either by shared dining or on board activities. I've been cruising solo for many years and haven't had a bad cruise yet.

I am 60 and have traveled solo most of my life. It is the one time you can do exactly what pleases you and when you wish. Perhaps because my work involves constant interaction with people and I am on call 24/7 every day, I especially treasure time when I can just stop and not worry about what the next phone call will bring. Cruising gives me a safe environment among mostly congenial people where I can have solitude or company as desired. I love the time to relax, read, take photos, go to the spa (heaven!) and part of the time, meet new and interesting folks. What's not to like when someone else cooks for you, cleans your room and makes your bed, brings you lovely fruity adult beverages and makes you feel pampered every day? There's always a friendly face or a private spot. Best vacation ever!

Kay

If you're looking for older solos, you've certainly found one in me! I am 85 and started cruising solo three years ago when my husband passed away. He and I had enjoyed cruising together for almost 30 years, and I determined to continue and took my first cruise two months after his death. I have found that my fellow cruisers are wonderful, friendly people whose company I enjoy immensely. I met two other solo ladies on different cruises, and now I generally cruise with one of them, although we always have our own cabins to retire to. Two years ago, I did six cruises, last year four, and this year only two because of some health problems. I'm doing better now and hoping to pick up the pace in 2017!

I'm in my mid-50s and have been cruising solo since a few years after my divorce, when my children were all grown up and on their own. My first solo cruise was also my first transatlantic cruise, so I guess I was pretty certain that I would like it, because I wouldn't have been able to get off the ship in the middle of the ocean!

Well, I guess I could have, but I wouldn't have lived to have any more vacations after I did!

I'd say if you really want to start with a short cruise, choose one that's a. during the school year and b. on weekdays. For example, Norwegian Sky does 2 cruises every week: one is Friday/Saturday/Sunday nights and the other is Monday through Thursday nights--take the latter. Much more likely to have fewer kids and fewer young partiers than the weekend cruise.

Of course, if you have to take a whole week off work anyhow, you might as well take a 7 day cruise instead! :)

58 here. I enjoy cruising and decided I was not staying home just because I didn't have anyone to cruise with me. One of the best decisions I've made. I usually don't cruise during spring break and summers.

Go for it and enjoy. Best people watching is at the martini bar:D

only 65 here, but I'm going to ask you for suggestions for meeting fellow solos, besides meet and greet and roll calls. I'm not very outgoing when it comes to just sitting down next to someone who looks to be traveling solo, but I really enjoy meeting new people.

only 65 here, but I'm going to ask you for suggestions for meeting fellow solos, besides meet and greet and roll calls. I'm not very outgoing when it comes to just sitting down next to someone who looks to be traveling solo, but I really enjoy meeting new people.

Look in the daily paper for whatever cruise line you're sailing...a lot of them have solo meet-ups. Go to activities like trivia; you're much more likely to meet someone at trivia than at a show. I find a lot of people just start talking to me when I travel solo, much more so than when I travel with my daughter.

It also doesn't help that I have RBF (ask me if you don't know what that means) and when my face is at rest it doesn't look happy even if I am.

I too have RBF and I have found that cultivating a happy "Hi, how are you?" tone in my voice goes a long way towards mitigating it. Deploy it aggressively on the bartender & you might strike up a conversation with the person sitting next to you. I hate that I have to compensate that way, but it works for me.

If all of that sounds too phony for words, then make sure you hit the solo meet-up.

Also, wear a really interesting hat. Hats are a great conversation starter.

I'm 71 and have traveled alone to Greece, Turkey (3x) and Egypt since my husband died 5 years ago. We'd traveled a lot and I found that when I was ready to go again, I was more comfortable on my own than I would've been adapting to the needs / schedule of a new companion.

I've just gotten home from my first cruise and I wasn't back a week before I'd booked another! Boy, am I hooked! My line of choice is Azamara, but I'm sure others are just as great at making their guests feel welcome. I found plenty to do or not do; it was easy to meet other people to hang with and despite my initial trepidation, I never felt a moment's discomfort about being solo. Although Azamara has open seating in the MDR, there's always a shared table with solos, couples and groups who want to meet people. In other situations, people didn't hesitate to ask if I was alone and were always ready to sit down and share a meal or drink or just chat when they found that I was. I'm fairly shy myself, but people reached out to me everywhere. Besides the M & M, I met women who became friends at the muster drill, the next table in the buffet, on tours and tendering into ports. It just seems to happen if you show up at various venues and are open to it.

Re: RFB. It's a new term to me, but I think I'm afflicted and I learned, on this trip, to be aware of it and made very deliberate efforts to counteract it. From the pictures and peoples' responses, it worked.

In short, don't let being a solo traveler keep you from cruising. It's perfect!

Melissa