No shore excursion ?

wingman2014

What do you do if you haven't booked a shore excursion ?

Stay on ship or walk around the port ??

Were going on Freedom of the seas ( western Caribbean )

our first time on freedom

There is lots to do in any port.

For suggestions, use the Ports of Call forum here on Cruise Critic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Depending on how long we'll be in port (my DH has a terror of the ship sailing without him), we'll walk around the port with some assistance from a tour book and shop or take a tour offered by one of the many people who offer them as you leave the ship. We've had very good luck with finding pleasant, knowledgeable guides for a very reasonable amount.

If we don't have an excursion booked, we just take our time getting off the ship, then just go explore the port for few a hours. I try to get a few really nice pics of the port and the outside of the ship and we will usually grab a bite to eat for lunch, also.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

We really do shore excursions and wind up having a better time than most of the other passengers...

Do you REALLY do shore excursions, or do you RARELY do shore excursions?

How do you know the level of your "good time" vs the "good time" of others?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thinking the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we have no shore excursions booked, sometimes we walk around in town and have a drink or lunch. Other times, we take a taxi to a beach when in the Caribbean. When the weather is bad, we just stay on the ship. It all depends on the port. :)

LuLu

Ha. Good one;)

We sometimes book excursions and sometimes don't. We explore on our own in some ports, in others we shop or eat a meal at a local restaurant. Occasionally we stay onboard like we did on Allure. Research the ports and decide if there's something you really want to do and if not, just go with the flow.

It can be very relaxing to just stay onboard.

Edited by BND

We have never booked a shore excursion. We read up on the port, decide what we want to see, grab a cab, ask for additional sightseeing suggestions, negotiate a price and off we go! This gives us the freedom to stay as long or short a time as we wish as each sight, stop unexpectedly if we see something that looks interesting, and grab some geocaches along the way. Works for us! We have never been even close to returning late as we really keep track of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We hardly ever do excursions, but we DO research our ports, so we know what to do! Wandering without a clue is a waste of time! Almost everything can be done without excursions, but you HAVE to do some research! Get a guidebook on your ports! Libraries have them!

I felt a little guilty that I stayed on the ship and didn't explore the island. I thought, perhaps, I will be missing something really great and would regret staying on the ship.

But then, it was a happy day to be able to enjoy the empty pool deck and the empty windjammer and the empty pool bar......really took time to explore the ship and all the artwork around the ship....i talked with the CD for a little bit and felt more connected to the ship (if that makes sense) :)

Did I want to see the island-yes....but did I enjoy the ship more-absolutely!

Unless it's an island that you truly don't want to miss, staying on the ship is a beauty in itself!

We rarely do SHIP SPONSORED excursions, but I usually book something with an independent provider.

This last cruise on the Majesty we didn't book anything and just laid on the beach in Coco Cay and wandered around the port area in Nassau.

A little bit of research will go a long way on free/cheap things to do that don't require an "excursion".

I meant rarely.

But we do stuff at the ports. Usually rent a car/jeep and drive around the island at our own thing. Mainly beaches.

Sometimes we do an organized excursion. Usually last minute/weather pending.

As far as having a better time than the others.

When you have a "hot wife" it increases the overall experience tenfold.

Thus making it a better time than most of the others!!!!