1st time on Cunard....help!!

miss-heli

We are regular cruisers but are cruising on Cunard/Queen Victoria for the 1st time in the New Year.

Can I just check with regulars about the dress code for Ladies on formal nights?

We have 4 formals on the cruise. Will I be out of place if I don't wear a full length gown on these nights? Will a shorter cocktail dress be acceptable?

Also whilst I am looking for advice can anyone confirm the times of the shows in the evenings?

We have been allocated 8.30 dinner, will we need to go to the Shows before we eat?

Many thanks in advance for any advice

We are regular cruisers but are cruising on Cunard/Queen Victoria for the 1st time in the New Year.

Can I just check with regulars about the dress code for Ladies on formal nights?

We have 4 formals on the cruise. Will I be out of place if I don't wear a full length gown on these nights? Will a shorter cocktail dress be acceptable?

Also whilst I am looking for advice can anyone confirm the times of the shows in the evenings?

We have been allocated 8.30 dinner, will we need to go to the Shows before we eat?

Many thanks in advance for any advice

You'll be fine. The shows are usually twice a night but sometimes as you have been told, there is one. It is all detailed in the daily programme.

You will see most ladies in full length formals but you will also see some in cocktail dresses. Both meet the dress code.

Almost all of the shows are done twice. Most (if not all) of the shows that only had one performance were local performers (this was during the World Voyage).

Edited by Scrapnana

The show times are usually 8.30 and 10.30, but as had been said sometimes there is only one show. They occasional do a 7.30 show and replace the 10.30 show with a film.

You will find the Daily Programme in your cabin when your board and then each night either on your bed or in the post box just outside your door. This gives you all of the details you need to know about the following day's activities. Be sure to check it as Cunard tend to only make announcements if there are changes to the programme.

Be sure to check it as Cunard tend to only make announcements if there are changes to the programme.
Being primarily a Cunard passenger I was very surprised the first time I cruised on Princess and the Cruise Director came over the PA during dinner to hype the evening's entertainment. Edited by Underwatr

You will see most ladies in full length formals but you will also see some in cocktail dresses. Both meet the dress code.

Almost all of the shows are done twice. Most (if not all) of the shows that only had one performance were local performers (this was during the World Voyage).

Yes, my experience of 12 QM2 voyages is that the majority of women dress in full length formals, while cocktail dresses and formal style pants suits (trousers) meet the dress code. Whatever you feel best wearing, and whatever fits your luggage limits as long as it is black* should work for most nights.

Wishing you a lovely voyage -S.

*It's a New York thing...when in doubt, wear Classic Black.

Thanks for all the advice.

Fortunately I have black cocktail dresses that I can bring.

I might invest in one more full length dress but will manage with that as we usually cruise Regent or Azamara and 'Casual' is the dress code throughout.

I've found most ladies are more likely to be dressed in a pair of trousers and a sparkly top and think that's formal.

Only done two cruises so far, but seen very few ladies in trousers on a formal night. Seen many evening and cocktail dresses though.

Only done two cruises so far, but seen very few ladies in trousers on a formal night. Seen many evening and cocktail dresses though.

DW has always the trousers on (German joke, may not be understood elswhere without giving it a thought)

I've found most ladies are more likely to be dressed in a pair of trousers and a sparkly top and think that's formal.

I've seen this occasionally but I certainly wouldn't say "most" ladies dress this way on formal nights. Personally I keep trousers for day time.

OP, have a great trip.

You will love the QV... we are regular cruisers, over 50+ total, on Princess, HAL, Celebrity and Cunard, plus some other lines.

We went on our first Cunard cruise several years ago on the OV, did a TA, loved it... love the more formal atmosphere... my DH is from Europe, he love to dress every night for dinner. I usually do a very night formal pants suite or more formal suit on formal nights vs a long dress or cocktail dress just because tailor clothes are more for me, .. you will not be out of place with a cocktail dress at all. We enjoyed the OV so much we booked it again within 6 months the Mediterranean.

We have booked the OM2 to go out of New YOrk City next year and will be on board 14 days to Quebec City and back. Thiinking about Cunard from Florida to San Francisco on a Panama Canal, just because we like the more formal atmosphere on board. Plus we found the food and entertainment to be excellent at the time too. We always do a late dinner and had the shows afterwards.

Hope you have a great time!

We belong to several clubs at home that regularly have black-tie dinner dances and I have been known to wear pants.

I just recently bought some gorgeous black evening pants with a semi-sheer overlay that I am really looking forward to taking on a cruise. You can make lots of things look formal with the right shoes, jewelry, scarves, etc.

Typically I take one floor-length black skirt, lots of fancy tops and scarves and one long black dress. On our last cruise, however, I bought a bright blue Abaya Jilbab in Dubai on our way to the cruise. I wore in in a dance contest and received rave reviews and then wore it at another formal dance after we returned home, again to rave reviews. I may take it on our next cruise. The only problem is that it needs to be pressed after it is packed up.

Here is a picture.

18243231_bluegown.jpg.54634578920ef2f5ef85cd9857bbe8b2.jpg

We belong to several clubs at home that regularly have black-tie dinner dances and I have been known to wear pants.

I just recently bought some gorgeous black evening pants with a semi-sheer overlay that I am really looking forward to taking on a cruise. You can make lots of things look formal with the right shoes, jewelry, scarves, etc.

Typically I take one floor-length black skirt, lots of fancy tops and scarves and one long black dress. On our last cruise, however, I bought a bright blue Abaya Jilbab in Dubai on our way to the cruise. I wore in in a dance contest and received rave reviews and then wore it at another formal dance after we returned home, again to rave reviews. I may take it on our next cruise. The only problem is that it needs to be pressed after it is packed up.

Here is a picture.

Lovely! Is it possible that you could just hang it in a damp environment and the wrinkles would fall out? As good as the pressing is on board, I'd worry about such a delicate garment. Whatever you decide, wear it in good health. On you, it looks good:)

Edited by Salacia

I pressed it in the self-serve laundry on the ship before I wore it and then again at home before the Yacht Club Dance in the picture. It's pretty easy--it just takes patience. I have another one that is hot pink that I got in Greece which has the same issues, but I love it.

Most of my cruise clothes are wrinkle free and I love that.