Any news about the Royal IQ App?

Its in the apple app store...

No it is not. That's app for the people going on the preview cruises from Southampton and Bayonne. You can download that app, but it won't become active til you get to the pier.

No Royal IQ app yet.

Yes, it's available at the Apple App store. You can download it, but in order to register and activate it you must be be onboard and hooked up to Royal-wifi. So nothing you can play with until you arrive on the ship (21 more days for me)

Looks like you have to purchase a "Call and Text package" before being assigned a unique onboard number that allows you to call or text people onboard. Kind of a waste considering that I believe Princess, NCL, and MSC all have apps that do this for free onboard. Guess charging is kind of an original idea in that regard.

Edit: Here is the exact text

Stay In Touch on the Open Seas

You're only a phone call or text away from friends and family. Once you download Royal iQ, and purchase a Call and Text package, you'll receive your own unique onboard number.

Those in your stateroom are automatically added to your Contact List. Other guests can be added by entering their Royal iQ phone number. To call or text, tap on the chat icon, select Phone or Chat, choose an individual, and you're connected.

And yes, the help page within the app really does tell you to download the app your in.

Edited by DEIx15x8

Looks like you have to purchase a "Call and Text package" before being assigned a unique onboard number that allows you to call or text people onboard. Kind of a waste considering that I believe Princess, NCL, and MSC all have apps that do this for free onboard. Guess charging is kind of an original idea in that regard.

And yes, the help page within the app really does tell you to download the app your in.

Princess and MSC don't have actual apps. It's just an intranet page on your web browser you can access while connected to their onboard wifi network. It essentially works the same as an app but it isn't one. Also there is a charge to use any calling or texting functions just like Royal Caribbean. Most everything else is free to use onboard so long as your connected to their wifi network.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Princess and MSC don't have actual apps. It's just an intranet page on your web browser you can access while connected to their onboard wifi network. It essentially works the same as an app but it isn't one. Also there is a charge to use any calling or texting functions just like Royal Caribbean. Most everything else is free to use onboard so long as your connected to their wifi network.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Your right, I could have sworn when the others were announced they were free as well. I just looked at the NCL iConcierge that was announced in February and it already does everything Royal iQ does, and actually makes me wonder if both outsourced to the same company since they not only do the same things, but seem to work the same.

http://www.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_022114.pdf

This is wrong. Royal Wifi is just like Norwegian's app.... it connects the the ships network or INTRAnet and is free. If you want to call, text, or browse the INTERnet that will be a charge but to use the app for ship features thru the INTRAnet it's free.

Does anyone know how our smart phones will access the app?

Will RCCL provide free WIfi or some other network of their own? My provider does not support broadband at sea.

Thanks

You access the ships INTRAnet by turning off your smartphone's data feature. This will leave the Wifi enabled to allow you to connect to the ship's INTRAnet.