Tipping in England

SID1962

Folks,

Are gratuities typically included in the tab in England? Also, we are taking a hire car from Southampton to Londo. Would the gratuitiy be included in the price?

If not, what is a reasonable tip? I do not want to give less than I should.

Also, if gratuities are not included it tabs, say for meals, what is the typical percentage to leave?

Looking forward to spend a few days post TA.

Thanks in advance,

Sid1962

Hi, Sid,

First of all, like most places outside the US, gratuities aren't a big deal in the UK. The minimum wage is a living wage, so tips are the jam (jelly), rather than the bread & butter and are earned rather than expected. They're typically at about half the US level, but if you don't tip nobody's going to chase you down the street. Some Brits never tip anyone, but in the service industries tips are welcomed - as much as anything because its a sign of appreciation.

You'll find that a high proportion of restaurants in central London & other touristy places add a cover charge, around 15%. By law that has to be declared on the menu. And by law a menu must be displayed outside the establishment, though that law is often flouted. (Beware also that some places charge extra for sides such as potato or veg., or for un-requested bread.

If there's a service/cover charge, I never add another tip - even if the waiter licks my boots. ;)

But all of this is not typical of the UK as a whole.

If there's no cover charge, the norm for a full-service is around 10% or rounding up to a max of £10 for excellent service. Around £5 is more common.

A lot of pubs in particular have only partial service, for instance unless there are signs to the contrary you find your own table, order your food & buy your drinks at the bar & quote your table number. You might also be expected to go to the bar at the end to pay. Adjust your tip accordingly, or don't leave a tip - its no big deal.

We don't tip barkeeps.

Hotel porter £1

Some folk leave something for the hotel housekeeping, some don't.

Short taxi trips just round up to the next pound or so.

"Hire car" in the UK means the same as rental car. I'm guessing you mean a private hire taxi or private transfer.

Tipping totally at your discretion - for Southampton to London mebbe £5, or £10 for excellent service. But try to disguise your American accent ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Folks,

Are gratuities typically included in the tab in England? Also, we are taking a hire car from Southampton to Londo. Would the gratuitiy be included in the price?

Also, if gratuities are not included it tabs, say for meals, what is the typical percentage to leave?Looking forward to spend a few days post TA.

Thanks in advance,

Sid1962

Please try the search button at the top of this page. These questions have been asked and answered many, many, many times.

Folks,

Also, if gratuities are not included it tabs, say for meals, what is the typical percentage to leave?

Looking forward to spend a few days post TA.

Thanks in advance,

Sid1962

JB's answer is the same in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland too. Are you just visiting England or the UK?

I do not want to give less than I should.
Don't worry about it. Nobody will care very much if you do, and there's no reason why you should feel in the least bit guilty.

It is, however, worth looking at the bill in a restaurant to see what they've done. The addition of a service charge has become more common since chip and PIN came in for cards, largely because this makes the system easier to work for most people.

If there is a service charge included I don't leave extra unless service has been extraordinary and then I round up to the nearest pound.

Don't tip bartenders, although I do tend to leave the change, So it the bill is 10 pounds 70 cents I'll leave 11 pounds.

Uber the tip is included in the fare, black or mini cabs give them 10% or nothing if they are rude or try to rip you off.

If there is a service charge included I don't leave extra unless service has been extraordinary and then I round up to the nearest pound.

Don't tip bartenders, although I do tend to leave the change, So it the bill is 10 pounds 70 cents I'll leave 11 pounds.

Uber the tip is included in the fare, black or mini cabs give them 10% or nothing if they are rude or try to rip you off.

You've summed it up just right. Here in the UK, we don't have a tipping culture.

I think everyone has pretty much summed it up. Here in England, tipping isn't looked on as a right, but more of a reward. I probably tip more than most over here and would usually tip 10%+ at a restaurant (assuming not already included). I always tip bartenders, typically about 50p per drink. Taxi drivers I tip about 10% of the fare (minimum £1 maximum £5). Hotel porters £1 per bag. But like JB said, nobody's going to get too upset whether you tip them or not. Just go with what you feel :)

Folks,

Thanks so much to all for your responses. We are now comfortable with what the accepted norm is in England. One posted asked if we were going to any other countries in the UK. Not this trip. We are doing a few days in London post eclipse TA and that is all for the moment at least.

Tomorrow at this time we should be firmly ensconced in our cabin waiting for luggage, or if lucky, fully unpacked and waiting for muster.

Again, thanks to all.....now if I can just remember to call an elevator a lift, and a drug store the chemists, we should be good....

Cheerio, pip pip and all that (Remains of the Day is one of my favorite films)

Sid1962

Edited by SID1962
remove face

Just like we understand British terms like lift, chemist, hob, and boot, they understand ours. No need to fret over it.

By the way, I don't believe I've ever heard a Brit use the terms Cheerio or pip pip. It would be rather affected to do so as a Yank.

Edited by ducklite

By the way, I don't believe I've ever heard a Brit use the terms Cheerio or pip pip. It would be rather affected to do so as a Yank.

I've heard such expressions frequently, old bean. ;)

But then I do watch a lot of classic old black & white movies :D

JB :)

Well here in Liverpool you'd say 'ta-ra' rather than cheerio or goodbye!

One thing our US pals should be aware of is our differences describing the floors/stories of a building. Here is the UK ours go (from the bottom up) - ground floor, 1st floor, 2nd floor, 3rd floor and upwards. In the US the ground floor is 1st, our 1st floor is the 2nd etc etc. Our visit to the US (New York) was hilarious. In one store we were told we needed to go to the 2nd floor. So we did - but to the US 3rd floor which is the 2nd to us. We wasted about half an hour trying to find where we should be before we realised.

And it was so funny when a lady jokingly mentioned touching her fanny. A fanny, in Liverpool, is a rude word referring to a lady's .... how do I put this ... well, where a baby comes out!

Edited by Mim Lloyd

Well here in Liverpool you'd say 'ta-ra' rather than cheerio or goodbye!

One thing our US pals should be aware of is our differences describing the floors/stories of a building. Here is the UK ours go (from the bottom up) - ground floor, 1st floor, 2nd floor, 3rd floor and upwards. In the US the ground floor is 1st, our 1st floor is the 2nd etc etc. Our visit to the US (New York) was hilarious. In one store we were told we needed to go to the 2nd floor. So we did - but to the US 3rd floor which is the 2nd to us. We wasted about half an hour trying to find where we should be before we realised.

And it was so funny when a lady jokingly mentioned touching her fanny. A fanny, in Liverpool, is a rude word referring to a lady's .... how do I put this ... well, where a baby comes out!

Ah yes. Another difference is in bed sizes. What the Brits consider a queen bed would be more like a double in the U.S., and what the Brits consider a King bed is closer to a U.S. Queen.

I think it better for people from all over the world to give their greetings as it would be said in their own country certainly use your accent to explain away any faux pas. Everybody will know where they are and what is happening. Expressions like "Arrite mate how's it hanging" or "Watchacocka" or "Howya diddling" might be used to greet the wrong type of person and lead to problems.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I think it better for people from all over the world to give their greetings as it would be said in their own country certainly use your accent to explain away any faux pas. Everybody will know where they are and what is happening. Expressions like "Arrite mate how's it hanging" or "Watchacocka" or "Howya diddling" might be used to greet the wrong type of person and lead to problems.

Regards John

What about a simple hello and goodbye? They work in every country that speaks English.

Regards John

Are these Australian?

I've heard of "how's it hanging" but I would never use it and I don't know anyone who would except maybe in jest.

I haven't heard of the other two. Are you sure it's not: Howya doin'?

Edited by paddingtonbear

Are these Australian?

I've heard of "how's it hanging" but I would never use it and I don't know anyone who would except maybe in jest.

The strange greeting "How ya diddling" was taken up by the comedian Alexei Sayle as his catchphrase. See YouTube "The All New Alexei Sayle show Bobby Chariot" a sketch where Sayle portrays one of the bottom five warm up comedians.

egards John

The strange greeting "How ya diddling" was taken up by the comedian Alexei Sayle as his catchphrase. See YouTube "The All New Alexei Sayle show Bobby Chariot" a sketch where Sayle portrays one of the bottom five warm up comedians.

egards John

Interesting. He's British isn't he? Not sure he got that one right - I've never heard it used - but goodness what do I know?

• 2 weeks later...
Are these Australian?

I just wanted to report back that a builder we know arrived today and addressed my husband by saying "How's it hangin'"

They then had a lively debate as to whether it should be: how're THEY hangin' OR how's IT hangin'

THEY won!

Colloquial slang used by a few in semi jest. It's a guy thing!

I just wanted to report back that a builder we know arrived today and addressed my husband by saying "How's it hangin'"

They then had a lively debate as to whether it should be: how're THEY hangin' OR how's IT hangin'

THEY won!

Colloquial slang used by a few in semi jest. It's a guy thing!

I can't believe most people say No, to tipping Bar Staff.

As said by one person, I always tip 50p when I get served. It's a hard job standing behind a bar all day. Done it for 25 years.

I'm a tight git though and don't tip anyone else.

If anywhere near Lancashire you may also hear (be called) Chuck, Pet, Duck, Petal, Hun, Sweet Pea ETC.

Sounds silly when you write it down, Lol

Kezz