Flying into Orlando for a Miami cruise? Need some input!

markeb

This is just a preliminary question. I recognize it appears manifestly silly on the surface, but bear with me!

I fly a LOT, frequently internationally, for work, which has had me Platinum on United the past two years, and with scheduled flights is probably going to get me 1K for next year. I am going to fly United unless I can't. Our cruise is on Equinox in late March.

Right now, United has one direct flight a day into and out of FLL from Washington Dulles; neither looks like it's going to fit our plans (the outbound is 8:30 and the return is 12:15, which should be OK, but I honestly don't remember when we got off Reflection on New Year's Eve). Connecting flights take 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours, through O'Hare, in what's still late winter. There are 4 direct flights each way to Orlando, and at least according Google Maps, it's less than 3 1/2 hours to Miami. I've not priced rental cars, etc., yet, or looked at where to stay along the way (not opposed to staying an hour or so up the road and driving in for the cruise, depending on rental car drop-off, etc.).

Right now I'm just exploring all options. For last Christmas, United didn't have a direct flight at all until about 3 months out, so it's entirely possible they'll add direct flights to FLL. Last I heard they were negotiating to take over a significant part of one of the terminals, but it doesn't sound like that's happened yet. I know that Orlando can be a total zoo, but we'd be checking in at the first class line, and we both have TSA Pre, so it shouldn't be much worse than FLL. I'd like some input from Floridians and others who drive that route, or who've done the same sort of thing.

Thanks!

Howdy neighbor! :)

12:30 departure flight would work - you can UberX from POM to FLL in about 45 min for about $35+

The flight down from IAD should arrive into FLL about 11 or so, giving you the option to stay in either FLL or Miami for the night pre-cruise. http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel & tourist info. You can search this board for Miami hotel suggestions.

Unless you want to spend time in Orlando pre-cruise I would not bother with that option. Have a great cruise! :cool:

If I'm understanding correctly, you would get in at 8:30pm the day prior to your cruise? I would do two nights prior in FLL/MIA if that meant getting into FLL at a more comfortable time. The drive is a solid 4 hours each way. Plus hassling with a rental car, layovers, potential winter weather and what ever other obstacles pop up.

There is absolutely no way I would do that when other airlines offer much easier options.

Have you looked into flights from MCO to FLL? I know we did that once. My daughter and son in law were running the Disney marathon, we stayed at Disneyworld for a few days, then flew to FLL for the cruise. Southwest was the only one flying it, I think.

If you're using miles for the other flight, it might be the cheapest way to go. REntal car would be a serious hassle, and likely cost as much as a flight, provided you can find one.

Thanks folks! The question was whether it made any sense, and the answer seems to be no. We'll try to go with the one direct morning flight and either the noonish flight back or spend the day in either Miami or FLL or head back on Sunday. DW is a teacher, so she'd be going from the classroom on Thursday, taking a day off before Spring Break (frowned on but she should be able to work it) to fly out first thing the next morning with no down time. It's not something she likes to do...

I recognize sticking to the same airline doesn't compute with a lot of people here, but 1) free bags, 2) 75 pound per bag limit, 3) high probability of an upgrade, 4) club access, etc. add up. I do what I have to do for business travel, including being stuck in coach for most trips to Europe, so I can enjoy the perks on personal travel with my wife. Not changing airlines...

I completely understand why you would want to fly United, but going into MCO is bluntly speaking, ridiculous.

The 12:45pm out of FLL is fine btw. Just get off the ship early. Unfortunately United is by far the weakest carrier in Florida. They have a very small network here. Pretty much every other large airline other than Hawaiin is pretty strong down here.

I recognize sticking to the same airline doesn't compute with a lot of people here, but 1) free bags, 2) 75 pound per bag limit, 3) high probability of an upgrade, 4) club access, etc. add up. I do what I have to do for business travel, including being stuck in coach for most trips to Europe, so I can enjoy the perks on personal travel with my wife. Not changing airlines...

I get it. I do the same thing myself and usually end up kicking myself for choosing the complicated route vs the convenient route. It's no fun walking down the aisle to cattle class when you're used to sitting up front, but for a 2.5hr flight, you'll thank yourself later. I've made a few of those arrangements that nearly resulted in me being a single man again. Don't do it!

You are talking a couple hours flight. And just for an extra comfort on the flight, you want to DRIVE for 3.5 extra hours? Woah!!!!!

I fly first class all the time, it's all I'll fly when given the option (I'll just pay full fare), but even I have grabbed economy up to Chicago when that's the flight that makes the most sense. And even you said you have a "high probability of an upgrade" and lounge access... So you are saying you may still end up in coach and you need a lounge before departing your home airport? How early do you get there!?

Driving from Orlando to Miami is brutal. It's 3.5 hours of flat straight road with just 2 lanes... and people in Florida have no idea what "left lane to pass" means, so you are constantly dealing with slow drivers in the left lane, etc. God, it's awful. Why would you subject yourself to this to "possibly" avoid flying coach? Plus dealing with the rental car counter, getting the car, gas, all that nonsense. Come on!!!!!!

This may be one of the craziest posts I've ever seen here! Fly Southwest or American. With Southwest, bags fly free anyways, and you get onboard TV through your own device, the economy is decent, and for a few bucks extra you can make sure you get priority boarding and good seats.

You are talking a couple hours flight. And just for an extra comfort on the flight, you want to DRIVE for 3.5 extra hours? Woah!!!!!

I fly first class all the time, it's all I'll fly when given the option (I'll just pay full fare), but even I have grabbed economy up to Chicago when that's the flight that makes the most sense. And even you said you have a "high probability of an upgrade" and lounge access... So you are saying you may still end up in coach and you need a lounge before departing your home airport? How early do you get there!?

Driving from Orlando to Miami is brutal. It's 3.5 hours of flat straight road with just 2 lanes... and people in Florida have no idea what "left lane to pass" means, so you are constantly dealing with slow drivers in the left lane, etc. God, it's awful. Why would you subject yourself to this to "possibly" avoid flying coach? Plus dealing with the rental car counter, getting the car, gas, all that nonsense. Come on!!!!!!

This may be one of the craziest posts I've ever seen here! Fly Southwest or American. With Southwest, bags fly free anyways, and you get onboard TV through your own device, the economy is decent, and for a few bucks extra you can make sure you get priority boarding and good seats.

Consensus last night, over 12 hours ago, was it didn't make sense, and is a longer and more inconvenient drive than it appears, which I've already agreed. Hours before you decided this was the craziest post you'd ever seen. That was my only question. Probably should have just left the background out as it clearly just invited this type of response. And I don't normally get snarky around here. We have months to go and will figure out what we're doing on our own.

I would fly to FLL or MIA, and look for a layover at EWR or IAH before I would fly to Orlando direct. If you have the status that you state that you have, you should have no problem accessing one of the United Clubs in either what I assume would be Houston or Newark between flights.

If the weather is good at IAD, most likely it will be good at EWR. IAH - no where near the problems that ORD has in the winter.

Also, United has 3 flights per day MCO-FLL. If you do an advanced search on United, and search for 1 stop flights only, you can put everything on one ticket to go IAD-MCO-FLL, with a FLL-MCO-IAD return.

Keep in mind, that the MCO-FLL-MCO leg is on Silver Airways. But they do codeshare and you can be on one ticket for that flight.