First Walk Off Group at Disembarkation ?'s

Aquarian

After doing a walk-off after the Ruby TA in October 2012, we arrived at the airport at 11:30 for an 11:30 flight. We made our flight only because the flight was delayed.

It was the disembarkation from hell...Princess' disorganization and not enough immigration personnel came together to cause the perfect storm. Who would have thought there was any chance we might miss an 11:30 flight?

Lew, my Star repositioning cruise from Santiago to SF in 2012 was really the disembarkation from hell with dogs checking every walk-off passenger and extremely long delays. That's exactly why we booked a 3:30pm flight out of MIA after our Royal T/A.

Vanrr, walk-off self-disembarkation is just that... you have to handle absolutely everything yourself. You luggage, carry-on, hat, coat, whatever. There will be no assistance. Plus, you have to have a hand free for the escalator (which is monitored) or else wait in a long line for the elevator. There is usually only a 5-10 minute difference between the last self-disembarkation group(s) and the first "regular" disembarkation group. Sometimes, if there are a lot of self-disembarkation groups, the last ones are after the first regular groups.

Edited by Pam in CA

After doing a walk-off after the Ruby TA in October 2012, we arrived at the airport at 11:30 for an 11:30 flight. We made our flight only because the flight was delayed.

It was the disembarkation from hell...Princess' disorganization and not enough immigration personnel came together to cause the perfect storm. Who would have thought there was any chance we might miss an 11:30 flight?

Lew

A TA would be the exception. I would never book an early flight if arriving from a TA. It has been posted on CC that any cruise that arrives back in the US after being somewhere else for a length of time (i.e Europe) that delays should be expected. You can't compare a TA to a regular cruise in and out of Fort Lauderdale!

A TA would be the exception. I would never book an early flight if arriving from a TA. It has been posted on CC that any cruise that arrives back in the US after being somewhere else for a length of time (i.e Europe) that delays should be expected. You can't compare a TA to a regular cruise in and out of Fort Lauderdale!

I hear you, but in the case I described clearing the ship itself was not the issue. It was the incompetence of Princess personnel and the lack of enough immigration officers that contributed to the problem.

Disembarkation of the Royal TA last October went like clockwork. We had more than enough time at the airport.

Lew

We have booked an early flight out of Ft. Lauderdale going home. I see in many posts to get in the first walk off group at disembarkation. What is involved in doing this? Do I need to talk to someone about this onboard and if so, who? Would someone give me the First Walk Off for Dummies rundown please. Also, I think I read once to tip a red cap to get a cab fast to the airport. We have always taken later flights and this was a never an issue for us in the past. Any help would be appreciated.

Just fill out the form and take it down when you receive it, and you will be in the 1st group. Cabs will be waiting. Easy.

We typically book flights between 9-10am out of FLL, never had an issue.

You are supposed to be able to carry all of your luggage yourself. That's the point of "walk-off." You don't put your luggage out the night before.

On our recent Island Princess cruise, there was a VERY elderly couple in the 1st walk off group. He was, barely, able to pull his 2 suitcases. The woman had another suitcase loaded on top of her walker. They could barely walk. Of course they pushed their way to the front of the line too. It was a total disaster. They kept dropping the suitcases and holding up the entire line of people trying to do walk off. When they arrive at the check-in location where we all waited, Princess should not have allowed them to do walk off. It was obvious that they were really struggling w/ all of their luggage.

This sounds like a real incentive to pack lightly so we aren't struggling with too many bags at walk off. I have always packed way too much for a cruise and the fact that we need to walk off the ship with all our luggage will make me pack much lighter. There is no sin in wearing the same outfit twice and forget about a different pair of shoes for each outfit! LOL Thanks guys. You all are amazing with all your terrific input.

On our recent Island Princess cruise, there was a VERY elderly couple in the 1st walk off group. He was, barely, able to pull his 2 suitcases. The woman had another suitcase loaded on top of her walker. They could barely walk. Of course they pushed their way to the front of the line too. It was a total disaster. They kept dropping the suitcases and holding up the entire line of people trying to do walk off. When they arrive at the check-in location where we all waited, Princess should not have allowed them to do walk off. It was obvious that they were really struggling w/ all of their luggage.

It is possible they were new to cruising and thought everybody had to carry all their luggage off.

Edited by caribill

This sounds like a real incentive to pack lightly so we aren't struggling with too many bags at walk off. I have always packed way too much for a cruise and the fact that we need to walk off the ship with all our luggage will make me pack much lighter. There is no sin in wearing the same outfit twice and forget about a different pair of shoes for each outfit! LOL Thanks guys. You all are amazing with all your terrific input.

Also in Fort Lauderdale, if you do not have one hand free you will be required to wait for the elevator (which can get pretty backed up) instead of taking the escalator down to the customs/taxi area.

Mike:)

If your cruise is a 3 or 4 nighter (maybe 5; haven't been on one) then don't expect to see the form - neither Golden nor Sapphire distributed them in LA. Just go to the purser's desk early on and request to be in the first walkoff group.

We did a 4 night Ruby cruise from Port Everglades during March of this year & we were given the form to be filled out. Everything went smoothly, best we have ever seen.

Unfortunately, we have seen this same situation on several of our cruises:(.

We just got off a 5 day on the Ruby and chose to do the Walkoff because we booked a 10:25 am flight back to Houston. We typically do a later flight with the EZCheck but thought we could pack lighter for the shorter cruise and took only bags with wheels so it would be easier. It was a breeze. We were out of our room at 8 and walked right off. Cabs were easy and we were at the airport in no time at all. What was the biggest problem was the security at FLL. Not sure why they thought one TSA agent for all those people was acceptable but it took us forever to get through security and the people at the airport were not nice (sorry FLL). Too bad as that wasn't the way we wanted to end our wonderful vacation. After the long wait in security, we still had time for a quick drink before our flight (which was a little late anyway) and got home safe and sound so all in all, we had a good experience. I totally recommend the EZCheck if you are flying a long distance but the Walkoff really did work for us and we didn't waste all day trying to get home.

I'm happy to answer any other questions if you have them.

Barbara