Norwegian Fjords -- Land Discovery prices?

Wendy The Wanderer

I'm musing about a fjords trip on Journey and I'm trying to compare it with a Regent one. And of course, Regent covers many excursion costs, at least for basic excursions.

What do you think would be a ballpark budget for planning ship-sponsored excursions in Norway? It's a 15-night cruise.

(BTW, why do so few Azamara devotees seem to arrange shared private excursions online using the roll-calls here on CC? I've asked this question before but never got a satisfactory answer.)

I'm musing about a fjords trip on Journey and I'm trying to compare it with a Regent one. And of course, Regent covers many excursion costs, at least for basic excursions.

What do you think would be a ballpark budget for planning ship-sponsored excursions in Norway? It's a 15-night cruise.

(BTW, why do so few Azamara devotees seem to arrange shared private excursions online using the roll-calls here on CC? I've asked this question before but never got a satisfactory answer.)

Best thing to do is download a brochure for the cruise you are thinking of that will help you decide.

Many Azamara guests set up trips with people they've already cruised with rather than through roll calls. Also there are small numbers on roll calls compared to bigger ships so that impacts on interest levels. The other reason is many guests explore independently rather than with guides particularly in Europe helped by the fact Azamara bring local tourism people onboard to give guidance.

On our Quest cruise to North Cape last year we had a very active Roll Call [40 pages!]. Our Roll Call group arranged a rijsttafel dinner the night before; we went DIY in Bergen both days [AzAmazing evening the first evening]; took the ship's excursion on the Flam railway plus overland tour [expensive at $300 pp but worth it because the ship comes up the Naeroyfjord to meet you in Gudvangen]; took a Roll Call tour in Geiranger; rented a car in Solvaer [based on advice from the Roll Call]; we were going to DIY in Tromso but we had OBC to burn so took the Walk With the Huskies ship excursion [that was interesting! see my blog -- in my signature -- for details]; took a third-party excursion to the Nordkapp; took the public bus to Briksdal Glacier in Olden; and took a city bus to the Stavanger Art Museum. So our budget for ship excursions was $1,100 -- but only because we took the two most expensive options. Except for Flam, you can easily duplicate most of the ship excursions on your own or with a local vendor.

Never found it a problem - I have been on many private tours through the roll call when cruising with Azamara. The Norway & Fjords are a different kettle of fish - there is very limited action on private tours, but as one poster previously suggested perhaps it is because of limited private tour companies, short time in some ports,

I was on the same cruise and many of the same excursions as Jazzbeau. In addition to those he mentioned, I arranged a private tour in Svolvaer (Lofoten Islands) with Artic Buss. I also arranged a private cruise of Lysefjord (Stavanger) with Rodne Fjord Cruise. We had 8 passengers on each of the private excursions and had a fabulous time.

Thanks for the replies, folks, this helps a lot.

I do see some steep prices on the brochure. Flam Railway, $159 for 3 hours 45 minutes, $150 for 3 hour tour in Geiranger. I can totally understand that there aren't many private operators in this neck of the woods.

You can do the Flam railway on your own for less, but be aware that that trip only goes up to the top (with one stop at the waterfall) and then down again. The ship's tour we took went up the Flam railway, across the main line railway to Voss, lunch and free time in Voss [statue of local boy Knute Rockne], then to the Stalheim Hotel for terrific views and pastry, to a second (even more scenic) waterfall, down the switchback road, and to be met by the ship at the end of Naeroyfjord in Gudvangen. That costs even more, but you can't do it on your own and it was a very enjoyable day. [but also note that by taking this, we did not get to sail from Flam to Gudvangen -- however we had sailed into Flam and then we got the sail out of Gudvangen, so we felt we had seen all of those fjords.]

We too were on the same cruise as Jazzbeau.

First - Norway is stuningly beautiful. You will be in awe with the scenery.

We did not take any Azamara excursions. We find the prices far too high and most can easily be arranged on your own with a little research. We are adventurous travelers, though. For others, they may want the ease and security of a guided tour.

We too were on the same cruise as Jazzbeau.

First - Norway is stuningly beautiful. You will be in awe with the scenery.

We did not take any Azamara excursions. We find the prices far too high and most can easily be arranged on your own with a little research. We are adventurous travelers, though. For others, they may want the ease and security of a guided tour.

Well we don't need security, especially in a place like Norway, but sometimes we're lazy and want someone else to take care of the details. Also not as mobile as when we were younger, so walking miles around ports is out of the question. Private guides are lovely, but in countries like this are not feasible.

In fact, I wonder how much of that stunning scenery can just be enjoyed from the ship without venturing far afield. Comments?

Private excursions were very feasible and much less expensive than the ship's tours. I only took one ship excursion in Flam, the same one as Jazzbeau. There was not a lot of walking on the excursions except to the Briksdal Glacier and troll cars are available for those who prefer to ride. A lot of the sights were not visible from the ship.

Well we don't need security, especially in a place like Norway, but sometimes we're lazy and want someone else to take care of the details. Also not as mobile as when we were younger, so walking miles around ports is out of the question. Private guides are lovely, but in countries like this are not feasible.

In fact, I wonder how much of that stunning scenery can just be enjoyed from the ship without venturing far afield. Comments?

I think the security context here is making sure you don't get lost and get back to the ship on time?:confused: In Flam, we were on a tour that was late getting back to the ship. Luckily, there were over two dozen of us and it was a ship excursion, so the ship waited for us. :D

There is stunning scenery on the ship while sailing and venturing afield from where the ship tenders/docks. For example, you can't see the Briksdal glacier (Olden) and you can't get the classic fjord shot of Geiranger without taking some type of transport away from the dock. I think Gudvangen is more of a jump-off point for people taking an overnight shore excursion to meet up with the ship at Geiranger.

You can wander Bergen on your own. For Flam, you can take the railway up and down and wander the area but not much more. Actually, it seems you're only there from 7am to 1pm so it is a short port day in any event which limits your options for excursions afield.

Your cruise is a fair bit away. I can understand why the roll call wouldn't be very active right now. One can't even buy the airfare yet! I think it will be more active and more conducive to sharing excursions when it gets closer to the sailing date.

It may have changed, but when researching our Norway ports a few years back, we did notice that there were some ports that just did not have much in private touring services. For these, we looked at Az excursions - they may sound expensive but keep in mind that Norway is an incredibly expensive country to begin with and Az is just paying the piper, so to speak.

For others, there were more of the shared group excursions offered by private tour companies where you book for yourself and then meet at the meeting point dockside with other people who may not be on a cruise at all. If you wanted a private group, you basically had to hire a taxi for the day or rent your own car.

Wendy - Yes, my reference to "security" was not to safety but, as you say, someone taking care of the details.

With regards to the various ports of call which overlap the cruise we experienced, here is what we did:

Bergen - We had 2 days in Bergen and toured around on our own. We did a wonderful guided walking tour (1.5 hours) of Bryggen organized through the Museum. We bought tickets the first day for the tour the next day. We took the funicular up Mount Floyen and walked down. You could take the funicular down as well. We also took public transport to the Fantoft Stavkirke (there is quite a hike up to the church which could pose a challenge for some).

Flam - We booked the railway tickets online ourselves and rode the train up and back. Nothing much to see in Flam itself. Easy walk from the ship to the train.

Gundvagen - This was a stop to pick up those who have done the overland tour from Geiranger. The sail through the fjords to and from Gundvagen was absolutely spectacular. I think one of my favourite parts of the entire cruise. En route to Geiranger you sail through other fjords: Sognefjord; Aurlandsfjord; and Naeroyfjord. All impressive. Lots of waterfalls.

Geiranger - We walked around on our own. Quite touristy. We climbed up the waterfall and then walked back unto town. Again, the scenery sailing in and out of Geiranger was spectacular.

Lofoten Islands - We rented a car and drove south, crossing the various islands. Lovely scenery. Not much in Svolvaer itself.

Trollfjord is a wonderful few hours to be out on deck.

Tromso - We walked over the Tromso Bridge to the Arctic Church. Quite the hike, but worth it to see the church we thought.

Honnigsvag - A cute little fishing village. A few nice artists shops. We did a private excursion to the North Cape which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Olden - We caught the public bus to the Briksdal Glacier and then hiked all the way to the glacier. This is a challenging hike. The scenery around Olden is beautiful. Make sure you are on deck for sail away as the villagers do quite a send off.

If you would like any more detail, please let me know.

Thanks to all. All this information is great. I'll call in these favours when and if I actually book.

We were in a CC last time on Journey, and although we liked the large space, thought we could cope with a Balcony cabin this time. Also, the CC's are all on deck 8, which apparently means noise in many locations. Anyone care to comment on stateroom selection?

Thanks to all. All this information is great. I'll call in these favours when and if I actually book.

We were in a CC last time on Journey, and although we liked the large space, thought we could cope with a Balcony cabin this time. Also, the CC's are all on deck 8, which apparently means noise in many locations. Anyone care to comment on stateroom selection?

We did a Balcony, thinking similarly to you above. Cabin was OK. Bathroom was cramped. Viewed a CC and really liked the extra space -- and those we asked all said noise wasn't a problem. Did you have noise in the CC on Journey? [And if not, what is the magic CC number we should look for?]

We did a Balcony, thinking similarly to you above. Cabin was OK. Bathroom was cramped. Viewed a CC and really liked the extra space -- and those we asked all said noise wasn't a problem. Did you have noise in the CC on Journey? [And if not, what is the magic CC number we should look for?]

We did have noise. It wasn't a showstopper for us. We were right below what's called the Patio I think. Lots of furniture being dragged about, morning and night. This is where they set up bbq's and such on the pool deck. I commented about it under the cabins thread, 8057.

We found the CC layout and design to be lacking in finesse and detail. Storage space was lacking. Lots of open shelves and deep drawers, but few smaller drawers. Closet was small as well. Even the furniture layout was weird. Lots of wasted space, we thought.

We did have noise. It wasn't a showstopper for us. We were right below what's called the Patio I think. Lots of furniture being dragged about, morning and night. This is where they set up bbq's and such on the pool deck. I commented about it under the cabins thread, 8057.

We found the CC layout and design to be lacking in finesse and detail. Storage space was lacking. Lots of open shelves and deep drawers, but few smaller drawers. Closet was small as well. Even the furniture layout was weird. Lots of wasted space, we thought.

Since they ruin that cabin in the 2016 dry dock I will onky stay in a spa suite, at least I have a small sofa and a nice bathroom. Again not enough storage. But anything beats the ruin CC. Just was on Oceania in a OH for a month. Storage everywhere you looked, who hired the team that ruin the cabins..no clue.