Connection time at Heathrow

TroubleT

Our connection time at Heathrow is 1 hour 30 minutes. Is it safe and enough time considering that my husband has mobility issues?

What happens if we miss the departing flight?

The flight is booked through ChoiceAir.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Our connection time at Heathrow is 1 hour 30 minutes. Is it safe and enough time considering that my husband has mobility issues?

What happens if we miss the departing flight?

The flight is booked through ChoiceAir.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hour and a half is a legal connection time.

Mobility issues has nothing to do with legal connection times.

Mobility issues is between you and ChoiceAir.

If you miss your connecting flight, call ChoiceAir. That's why you gave them your money rather than directly to the airline.

It would be helpful to know if this is domestic to domestic, international to domestic, or domestic to international, in order to give you the best answer. Plus what airlines, as that will help us with Terminal changes.

The mobility issue is the major complicating factor here.

It would be helpful to know if this is domestic to domestic, international to domestic, or domestic to international, in order to give you the best answer. Plus what airlines, as that will help us with Terminal changes.

The mobility issue is the major complicating factor here.

The flight is international to international: Dubai to Heathrow/Heathrow to Chicago. It is BA all the way and it is Terminal 5 for arriving flight and departing flight.

I understand that 1.5 hour is a legal time but is it a real time?

Thanks for your help!

The flight is international to international: Dubai to Heathrow/Heathrow to Chicago. It is BA all the way and it is Terminal 5 for arriving flight and departing flight.

For all connection questions, knowing the exact routing and airlines is vital. I think that klfrodo must be a mind-reader! There are some connections at Heathrow for which 90 minutes is not legal.

For the connection you're doing, the official Minimum Connection Time is 60 minutes, so you have time to spare over that.

I think that your best bet is to contact BA to make the necessary arrangements. You don't describe the extent of the mobility issues, and there are three levels of impairment that have a bearing on what assistance will be offered. If you talk to BA, they will be able to guide you through that and work out what is best for you.

With the connection that you're doing, both of your flights are likely to be operating to/from one of the satellite buildings at Terminal 5. This is likely to mean that you can clear security at the satellite building at which you arrive and then go on to your onward flight's gate, and you can avoid having to go all the way to the main building to do security. If you have wheelchair assistance, the attendant may well know how to do this, but in any event even if you do go to the main building I think that the attendant may be able to get you priority in the queue.

If you are going to do it on your own, post again and I can give more detailed suggestions about this.

If you miss your connection, your first port of call is actually the airline. Assuming that the entire trip is booked on one ticket, as your post makes it sound like, it would be the airline's responsibility to reaccommodate you on another flight and to provide you with appropriate care in the interim. The travel agent may actually be unable to do anything useful at all, even if it's prepared to help.

Thanks for your help!

What is your arrival time at LHR. That can be critical. Security can be a nightmare at T5 - very busy. Upside is you are not changing terminals.

FWIW I allow myself 2.5 - 3 hours to connect to a domestic fight ex LHR.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

What is your arrival time at LHR. That can be critical. Security can be a nightmare at T5 - very busy. Upside is you are not changing terminals.

FWIW I allow myself 2.5 - 3 hours to connect to a domestic fight ex LHR.

I'm working on the presumption that the itinerary is:-

BA108 DXB-LHR 1005-1415

BA297 LHR-ORD 1545-1840

An international-domestic connection at T5 has no alternative but to go to the main building to clear immigration and security there. As you say, at bad times security can be busy up there. Fortunately the OP may be able to avoid any risk of that by clearing security in T5B or T5C.

BA108 DXB-LHR 1005-1415

BA297 LHR-ORD 1545-1840

An international-domestic connection at T5 has no alternative but to go to the main building to clear immigration and security there. As you say, at bad times security can be busy up there. Fortunately the OP may be able to avoid any risk of that by clearing security in T5B or T5C.

My last arrival into LHR was approx. 1400 from memory which may coincide with the runway check schedule - well that happened to us. The sky above LHR was chock-a-bloc. I just made my domestic.

Fingers crossed for the OP.

Note to OP - I suggest contacting BA and asking them for assistance,

Annie

Thank you all for the helpful advices! :)

As Globaliser correctly noted the flights are:

BA108 DXB-LHR 1005-1415

BA297 LHR-ORD 1545-1840

We already contacted BA and they will provide wheelchair assistance in DXB, LHR and ORD.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just sent this thread and have to say my experience of wheelchair assistance at Heathrow has not been great. Last to leave the plane, taken to a holding area and left for 25mins with no explanation and that was before security and so it continued. My suggestion would be to insist that you deplane as quickly as possible and make sure the attendant knows you are on a tight connection.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

I've just sent this thread and have to say my experience of wheelchair assistance at Heathrow has not been great. Last to leave the plane, taken to a holding area and left for 25mins with no explanation and that was before security and so it continued. My suggestion would be to insist that you deplane as quickly as possible and make sure the attendant knows you are on a tight connection.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

"insist"???? Really? It depends greatly- if assistance is also required getting off the plane.

IF they can just walk off the plane, then doable, but if they are going to hold up a whole plane of people - then appropriate they wait. They aren't going to be the only people who want off the plane.

My suggestion would be to insist that you deplane as quickly as possible ...
"insist"???? Really? It depends greatly- if assistance is also required getting off the plane.

IF they can just walk off the plane, then doable, but if they are going to hold up a whole plane of people - then appropriate they wait.

And at many airports, if they can't walk off by themselves then "insist" simply won't produce results as the wheelchair assistants won't even get onto the aircraft until all of the other passengers have already disembarked.

That is why many airlines specifically ask those who need assistance to wait.

This doesn't necessarily mean that it would take them any longer to complete the connection process, because those with wheelchair assistance often don't need to wait in queues that other passengers must wait in.

At any rate, if you need assistance and you're worried about possibly missing your onward flight, then the thing to do is the same as for anyone else who doesn't like the stress of possibly missing a flight: book a connection that allows for extra time.

At any rate, if you need assistance and you're worried about possibly missing your onward flight, then the thing to do is the same as for anyone else who doesn't like the stress of possibly missing a flight: book a connection that allows for extra time.

Of course, we also have that other wonderful phenomenon at play here: The tickets are already bought and only afterwards is there concern and questions about the connection time.

BA108 DXB-LHR 1005-1415

BA297 LHR-ORD 1545-1840

Isn't that international-international? Why would OP have to report to immigration?:confused: