Need some input .......

heatherRN53

Hubby and I are booked for our first cruise in April/17 on Celebrity Silhouette. We are booked in a central balcony cabin, close to the aft elevators. I unfortunately have knee issues. One knee randomly locks and makes it very difficult and painful to walk. The other, is recovering from a trip/fall during a house move and coming along slowly. I know April is a way off, however, I am concerned now about the overall amount of walking, stairs and of course being off ship, and having something happen to my knee that will delay my return to the ship. I realize that people of all mobility levels enjoy cruising, however I am wondering, if I would perhaps be better off choosing a small resort instead. At least the resort doesnt move, leave port at 5, ect.We paid for the cruise when we booked it, so if we are going to change to a resort I want to make sure I have lots of time to get a full refund. Its hard to decide having not been on a cruise before exactly how much walking is involved, however it looks like there is a fair bit.

There is a fair amount of walking on a ship...hallways are long...you could change to a cabin near the elevator FOYER...the elevators do NOT cause noise! That would really help with walking distances! Something near the mid ship elevators is what you want.

You could also look into renting a scooter, if you find by next year, you need assistance!

Depends on if it would frustrate you. For the most part, you plan your own days, so if an activity you want to do is on the other end of the ship, you just leave early enough to take your time getting there. And not be in a rush from one place to another so you can wait out the stampede of a show or bingo getting out and a large group moving to other places at the same time. Or you can even find a relaxing place to hang out and just read/nap/people watch for hours. As much or as little activity as you want.

Hubby and I are booked for our first cruise in April/17 on Celebrity Silhouette. We are booked in a central balcony cabin, close to the aft elevators. I unfortunately have knee issues. One knee randomly locks and makes it very difficult and painful to walk. The other, is recovering from a trip/fall during a house move and coming along slowly. I know April is a way off, however, I am concerned now about the overall amount of walking, stairs and of course being off ship, and having something happen to my knee that will delay my return to the ship. I realize that people of all mobility levels enjoy cruising, however I am wondering, if I would perhaps be better off choosing a small resort instead. At least the resort doesnt move, leave port at 5, ect.We paid for the cruise when we booked it, so if we are going to change to a resort I want to make sure I have lots of time to get a full refund. Its hard to decide having not been on a cruise before exactly how much walking is involved, however it looks like there is a fair bit.

My comments not withstanding, cb did raise one valid point regarding the option for an on board scooter. That may povide some needed relief from the walking and would be supplied by the cruise line upon request.

Cruising can be very enjoyable and relaxing, and you can set your own schedule as to how active you want to be based on how you will feel. But there will of course be a fair amount of walking to the restaurants and the shows, etc. But would that not also be the case at a resort to some extent?

Should you decide to cancel, as you paid in full before final payment is due, you should be able to get a relatively quick full refund. You also have until that final payment date to cancel without penalty. Talk to whomever you booked the cruise with to confirm your plans.

More importantly, I hope you have a full recovery and are able to fully enjoy whichever vacation you decide on.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

the option for an on board scooter. That may povide some needed relief from the walking and would be supplied by the cruise line upon request.

Cruise lines do not provide scooters. If you need one, there are companies that yu can rent from that will have it waiting for you on the ship. But there re other caveats to having a scooter, such as a door wide enough to get it through, and space in the cabin to store it. EM

the option for an on board scooter. That may povide some needed relief from the walking and would be supplied by the cruise line upon request.

Cruise lines do not provide scooters. If you need one, there are companies that yu can rent from that will have it waiting for you on the ship. But there re other caveats to having a scooter, such as a door wide enough to get it through, and space in the cabin to store it. EM

Thanks for the correction - I mistakenly thought you could arrange one through the cruise line. But having seen them on board I know they are available in a size that can be manageable - but also a very good point for consideration!

Thanks for the correction - I mistakenly thought you could arrange one through the cruise line. But having seen them on board I know they are available in a size that can be manageable - but also a very good point for consideration!

There are several discussions about scooters and their availability in the disabled cruise travel forum.

Click here: DISABLED CRUISE TRAVEL

Been away from CC for a while. After 20+ cruises been doing some land based trips, but will be on a cruise next year.

I would hate to see you miss out on your first cruise and I think you can easily manage things and have a great time. Others have already suggested that there can be some walking on board and some ways to manage that. Use of stairs can be completely avoided if you want (check with your cruise line abt using the elevator for the required muster drill on the first day). As someone else already pointed out, there are plenty of great places on board to sit and relax, so if you do have to walk the whole length of a deck, you can take your time and enjoy. You expressed some concern about being delayed while on an excursion. In my experience it is common to see excursion offerings through the cruise lines that involve little to no walking. These are "supervised" to make sure you get back to the ship on time -- no worries.

Whatever vacation you decide, have a great time.

Another thing to consider - if you switch to a resort and you are confined to your room for a day coz your knee is very bad......you are in your room all day and hubby probably stuck with you.

If you are on the ship you can camp out on your balcony and watch the ocean, and order room service, and hubby can go and enjoy the ships facilities for an hour or so (or fetch you supplies from the buffet! :D)

Plus the ship will have medical staff on board, the resort wont.

As long as your cabin is near the elevators to minimise walking, and you leave enough time to make your way slowly back to the ship once ashore I think you'll be fine. Cruises are very popular with people of all levels of mobility. Shore excursions are normally very clear about the amount of walking involved. Enjoy your holiday!

My hubby has mobility issues (can't walk for long) but we managed great! It does depend on what you want to do - main walking is to food & entertainment. So if you plan out your day it will be fine. There are lots of seats everywhere so you can always have a break.

While the ship does move there are rails and you can use the "momentum" to give you a boost. Last cruise was during the tail end of a storm and hubby coped fine with his stick.

The best thing we did was get wheelchair assistance on and off the ship - they took us straight to the cabin and streamlined check in / security etc.

We find cruising really suitable for the husbands disability as we can do things at our own pace and if I want to do more I can.

We did find cabin placement to be key though - we went as close to the MDR as possible (albeit two floors up) and eat there for all meals. This really limited the amount of to and fro walking.