Hang out near Penn Station NYC?

Heather1972

Hi all -

My son and I need to waste 3+ hours from getting off NCL Breakaway until we get on the Amtrak train at Penn Station NYC. Any suggestions on what to do with luggage in tow? Even it it means hanging out for a couple of hours - people watching, getting lunch etc.

Hi all -

My son and I need to waste 3+ hours from getting off NCL Breakaway until we get on the Amtrak train at Penn Station NYC. Any suggestions on what to do with luggage in tow? Even it it means hanging out for a couple of hours - people watching, getting lunch etc.

New York Penn Station offers luggage storage for $10/bag with an Amtrak ticket. https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267371727

That would leave you free to explore the area - Times Square, Macy's, Empire State or whatever.

New York Penn Station offers luggage storage for $10/bag with an Amtrak ticket. https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267371727

That would leave you free to explore the area - Times Square, Macy's, Empire State or whatever.

Great suggestion - even though Empire State Bldg. is no longer the tallest, it does offer the best viewing opportunity. And Macy's (which to me is the dark heart of the retailing business) is a phenomenal experience. Both are just a few minutes walk from Penn Station.

There really is no "people watching" park nearby.

Edited by navybankerteacher

OP: whatever else you do that day, please buy some Black & White cookies from the Zaro's in Penn Station. :)

Also, if you are into photography and cameras at all, the B&H Superstore, which has to be seen to be believed, is pretty close by.

Edited by Turtles06

Great suggestion - even though Empire State Bldg. is no longer the tallest, it does offer the best viewing opportunity. And Macy's (which to me is the dark heart of the retailing business) is a phenomenal experience. Both are just a few minutes walk from Penn Station.

True. I was thinking of Greeley Square, but if it has the carts in there then there isn't much sitting space.

Madison Square Park and Bryant Park are about 15-20 minute walks

If the OP has three hours to kill she can easily walk to Bryant Park which is very nice and has food vendors. Macy's has a little park with tables at Herald Square. Also the NY Public Library has a little park or sit on steps with lions. Macy's has "the Cellar" which is like a food court in the basement.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I could easily kill three hours just watching people in Penn Station. There's always something to see!

There's not even anywhere nice to sit. I hate Penn Station, and I use it often

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree, Got2Cruise, Penn Station is no place to hang out. It's a frenetic dump. (There's a reason Amtrak had to create a walled off space for ticketed passengers.)

Now, Grand Central Station, that's a beautiful building...