Key West

wingman2014

Key West is a wonderful town to walk around. However, for your first time there, take the Conch Train tour to get a good overview and see the area. Do not book it through the cruise line. Go to the kiosk at Mallory Square and just buy your tix. After the tour, walk up and down Duval Street, enjoy a few libations at Hog's Breath Saloon (my personal favorite watering hole,) or Sloppy Joe's. Wander in and out of the stores, have some Key Lime Pie, or a frozen Key Lime Pie on a stick. A great place for lunch is Blue Heaven (729 Thomas Street,) which, IMHO is quintessential Key West.

If you have time, wander around the side streets. The houses and gardens are lovely. You might stumble across the Cemetery, and if you have time, walk around and read the head stones.

Key West is a fun and irreverent island that refuses to take itself too seriously. Enjoy!

If you are looking for more structured touring, there is the Hemingway House and the Little Truman White House. Like I said in my previous post, it's impossible to see and do everything in one day. Pick and choose what you think you will most enjoy.

We will be visiting Key west on our next cruise ( feb 2016 ) This will be our first

visit to Key West what are some of the places not to miss ?

Thanks !!

We love Key West and have been several times, both on land vacation and cruises. The last time we rented an electric car and had a blast! Did it online before we left and went everywhere with it. Some cautioned us we would have trouble with parking, but we really didn't have a problem. Definitely like the OP said, walk around and just see the sites, the Key Lime Pie on a stick is DELICIOUS!! Hogs Breathe shouldn't be missed too. Enjoy and have fun ... you will no matter what you choose to do! :)

If you are looking for more structured touring, there is the Hemingway House and the Little Truman White House. Like I said in my previous post, it's impossible to see and do everything in one day. Pick and choose what you think you will most enjoy.

Thanks so much for the info ! we cant wait !

We love Key West and have been several times, both on land vacation and cruises. The last time we rented an electric car and had a blast! Did it online before we left and went everywhere with it. Some cautioned us we would have trouble with parking, but we really didn't have a problem. Definitely like the OP said, walk around and just see the sites, the Key Lime Pie on a stick is DELICIOUS!! Hogs Breathe shouldn't be missed too. Enjoy and have fun ... you will no matter what you choose to do! :)

DW and I were there this past New Year's and there was a company there renting electric cars to passengers at the pier . You paid for a two hour rental and got the rest of the day for free

Depending on what time your ship leaves Key West and it being in winter the sunsets are earlier.... hope you are able to catch one of the infamous

Key West sunsets from the ship :)

1234940_577148715653611_1838275043_n.jpg?oh=98f71fd117f6c1e7f592938cdabc80e2&oe=55845EBF&__gda__=1435267990_88d8cd577af8efbcca4bdb787acec9de

Depending on what time your ship leaves Key West and it being in winter the sunsets are earlier.... hope you are able to catch one of the infamous

Key West sunsets from the ship :)

1234940_577148715653611_1838275043_n.jpg?oh=98f71fd117f6c1e7f592938cdabc80e2&oe=55845EBF&__gda__=1435267990_88d8cd577af8efbcca4bdb787acec9de

OMG so beautiful !! thanks for sharing !

We just returned from a cruise including Key West as well and have been there before. Others have shared great information about what to do so I won't repeat, but another bar we found last time that you wander by and decide to try or not was Irish Kevin's on Duvall, just down from Sloppy Joes on the same side of the street. The guy that plays music is a great entertainer (a little raunchy) and interacts with the crowd quite a bit.

You also can walk or as part of the Conch Train get to the far most southern point for a picture opportunity.

You may want to walk around the wharf which is cool part of walking the town. Just bear left as you walk coming off the ship and you won't miss it as it borders the left side of the island. Lots of nice restrurants and bars and you can see the charter boats docked there. Plenty of big tarpon swimming under the docks you walk along.

Things I have enjoyed in KW

The Wyland Art Gallery on Duval Street - Definitely worth going in

http://wylandkw.com/

Tour of Coast Guard Cutter Ingham

http://www.uscgcingham.org/

The Truman Little White House

http://www.trumanlittlewhitehouse.com/

Hemmingway Home and Museum

http://www.hemingwayhome.com/

And of course the standard tourist photo taken here

https://www.southernmostpoint.com/

(Don't worry....there is almost always a line that moves fast, it is free, someone will take your picture, you take theirs kind of deal)

Love Key West!!! Make sure to turn down the side streets away from the crowds. We have found some lovely little shops. I always get the key lime pie dipped in chocolate. We rented scooters once. That was fun.

Thanks for the great info ! sounds like FUN !!

Sloppy Joes is a must stop ! Every time we have been there, there has been a solo performer singing and he is very good ! Another must is Key Lime pie. We have had it at several different places and its all good !

Speaking of Sloppy Joe's, we were there last time in KW. Thinking this time when we're there in April, would like to go to Capt. Tony's (which I hear was the "original" Sloppy Joes--not sure if that's true or not). Mostly want to go there because we're big Jimmy Buffett fans and since he wrote a song about Capt. Tony, wanted to go there. Anybody been and is it worth going to?

• 3 weeks later...

We've been on Christmas day a couple if times and everything is open. I back up the hogs breathe and sloppy Joe recommendations. The finch fritters at the little kiosk near Mallory square are fabulous. I will however thus Xmas day hope to make the conch train

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk