2 days in Paris from Rouen

pdx13

We are stopping in Rouen in early May as part of our Northern Europe Cruise. We plan to take the train from Rouen into Paris and would like to catch the highlights, perhaps the Eiffel tower at sunset if we can get reservations. We would like to visit the Louvre, Montmarte, Notre Dame, Arc d'Triumph, Sacre Couer, and possibly the Seine at night. I feel fairly confident that we can do these on our own, but would appreciate any assistance in planning our time.

We are stopping in Rouen in early May as part of our Northern Europe Cruise. We plan to take the train from Rouen into Paris and would like to catch the highlights, perhaps the Eiffel tower at sunset if we can get reservations. We would like to visit the Louvre, Montmarte, Notre Dame, Arc d'Triumph, Sacre Couer, and possibly the Seine at night. I feel fairly confident that we can do these on our own, but would appreciate any assistance in planning our time.

I assume you are leaving the cruise in Rouen and taking the train to Paris...will you have 2 full days in Paris? If you do then you will be fine. One thing though..MAKE your reservation NOW for your dinner at the Eiffel Tower if you can get in..Jules Verne will more than likely be booked,but the other one 58 ( I guess 95 bit the dust) may be able to take you,but DO IT Now.Info online to help. Pick what you want to see in the Louvre as you will not be able to see it all.The other chioces you can plan out on your own re time wise and use the metro or the HOHO bus even to get around. You can oick one of the many Seine cruise to do in the evning as well,but do not do a dinner cruise. I am sure other's will chime in and you will have a lot of info. I just wanted to mention the restos now!!! Lots of info on the board here as well as what other's have done. Enjoy..Paris is wonderful.

A couple of notes first:

1. Sacre Couer is in Montmartre so that is helpful

2. If you want to take the elevators up the Eiffel Tower you can make reservations 3 months in advance if you don't want to wait in a very long ticket line.

3. Sundown will be after 9 pm so if you want to see everything lit up it will be later.

Beyond that a map to show your best routes is great. The metro is cheap and fast but Paris begs for walking. It's the best way to see and feel the city.

The best DIY book for Paris is Rick Steves. He gives you all the hints how to beat the lines, and self guided walking tours too.

Agreed. I brought his book with me. For the OP, he talks about Montmartre and Sacre Coure and where to get off the Metro and onto a funiculicar to get there. Very helpful info.

Becki

We've just returned from five days in Paris (our second visit to the most beautiful city in the world), and agree that walking and Metro are the ways to go.

I found the Paris Metro App (which I downloaded to my iPhone and which does not require any internet/cellular connection to use) to be invaluable. You can use it to plan routes, by destination station or key points of interest. Don't leave home without it. :)

And yes, Rick Steves's book was a great planning tool, but be sure to have a really good street map with you.

Have a great time!

Edited by Turtles06

• 3 weeks later...
We've just returned from five days in Paris (our second visit to the most beautiful city in the world), and agree that walking and Metro are the ways to go.

I found the Paris Metro App (which I downloaded to my iPhone and which does not require any internet/cellular connection to use) to be invaluable. You can use it to plan routes, by destination station or key points of interest. Don't leave home without it. :)

And yes, Rick Steves's book was a great planning tool, but be sure to have a really good street map with you.

Have a great time!

OK, I just went to the App Store. Too many choices to just guess. Which one are you recommending?

Have a great time!

OK, I just went to the App Store. Too many choices to just guess. Which one are you recommending?

This one:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paris-metro-map-route-planner/id527534137?mt=8

It's fantastic, free, and works offline.

Thanks all for the great advice. We are hoing to perhaps get lucky and score the Eiffel Tower at sunset. Other than that we really don' have specific constraints. Should probably hit the Louvre first thing, then use metro and walk to the sites we can fit in. I am guessing none of the passes would be of great value for only a day and a half, with pretty specifc places we wan to see. I guess the only advantage would be avoiding lines, but we plan to purchase Louvre tickets before we leave and Eiffel Tower as they would be the most likely to have lines.

Thanks all for the great advice. We are hoing to perhaps get lucky and score the Eiffel Tower at sunset. Other than that we really don' have specific constraints. Should probably hit the Louvre first thing, then use metro and walk to the sites we can fit in. I am guessing none of the passes would be of great value for only a day and a half, with pretty specifc places we wan to see. I guess the only advantage would be avoiding lines, but we plan to purchase Louvre tickets before we leave and Eiffel Tower as they would be the most likely to have lines.

Re the metro: you can buy a pack of ten tickets (called a carnet), each one good for one trip (one way), that you can divide among your party. It's not only convenient, but cheaper than buying individual tickets, so do the math in terms of how many total trips you think you'll be taking.

Edited by Turtles06

You definitely want to hit the Louvre the first thing if your goal is get get up close to the Mona Lisa. We followed Rick Steve's advice, and we nailed that and Winged Victory just like he said. Just walk and walk and walk around Paris. Everything is special.

You must be on a river cruise if your ship ports in Rouen? Hope that you get to spend at least some time in Rouen - lovely city.

Just a thought … Have you considered visiting the Montparnasse Tower in lieu of the Eiffel? I know that the Eiffel is a landmark and a ‘must see’ for first time visitors but one could still walk over to the Eiffel and explore without going up. The Montparnasse has the added benefits of:

1) enjoying the stunning views of Paris and the Eiffel tower illumination hourly show (on the hour after dark) by looking out on the Eiffel rather than from within the Eiffel.

2) Queues are very long at the Eiffel but not at the Montparnasse (you can pre-book for both towers)

3) 56th floor observation deck

4) Rooftop Champagne bar

http://www.tourmontparnasse56.com/en/#/home

The Montparnasse Tower (33 avenue du Maine) – boasts Europe’s fastest elevator; adult ticket is 15.00€

There are 2 restaurants within the tower:

1) 360 café ( snacks, drinks, sandwiches)

2) Ciel de Paris (gourmet – you can check-out their menu online: http://www.cieldeparis.com/) Gorgeous views

Like I said, just a thought … :)

Edited by dogs4fun