Last Minute Alaska Fares?

Bostonjetset

I had posted this as a reply to an old thread for a year ago and I think some may not have realized it was a current question and thus I wanted to ask it in my own thread.

My situation is:

DH and I plan to go to Alaska on the Westerdam this Sept 10. We already have our flights booked so that we arrive in SEA on the 9th and leave on the 18th. We have never been to Seattle and thus wanted to spend a day there on each end of the trip. We purposely booked our flights back in March so that we would not have to worry about last minute air tickets [esp since we used FF miles] with the intention of snagging a last-min cruise deal. We always see how much prices drop at the last min [our last Europe cruise dropped almost $500pp 3 weeks before sailing!] and thought Sept 10th would be a good date to "risk it" since there are 3 ships sailing from Seattle that day [Westerdam, Crown Princess, and an NCL ship]. We figured we would be able to snag a deal on at least one but NCL is not preferable as HAL and Princess are better lines IMO and have Glacier Bay rather than Tracy Arm. Well, Princess is already sold out for the Sept 10th sailing!! I always knew it was possible but in all my cruises, I've never seen one sell out months before sailing. That leaves Westerdam and NCL and of course we want Westerdam.

Currently the insides under the Mariner rate are $799 and include the free grats and a $100 beverage card. I find this a fair price but of course I would love one of the $399/$499 deals I see people getting all the time last minute. I guess my question for all of your experienced Alaska cruisers is: what is the chance this sailing will get that low if we wait? I realize nothing is guaranteed but if people can share past years' experiences it would help me form a likelihood. DH says he wants to wait until maybe a week to 3 weeks before since he saw what happened with our Europe trip. But I know that Alaska and Europe are too different kettles of fish; the Westerdam is a 7 night r/t from Seattle which seems to be the most popular itinerary whilst our Europe cruise was 10 nights out of Venice which is something not many people would likely book last min and thus the slashing of fare was more expected.

Any thoughts? We would likely book an inside and are not picky at all about the stateroom. The one thing I DID notice is that last min may get us an oceanview for a price as low as an inside but other than that, does anyone see a truly good reason to wait?

While Sept is a good time for reduced fare cruises to Alaska, I suspect that the really low prices you hear about go to people who live near the port(s). HAL knows that last minute air is expensive and that most people will not do that just to get a lower cruise fare (defeats the purpose).

On our Alaska cruises we often hear stories about how great a deal some one got, and it seems like every time these people are from the Pacific NW (Canada and US).

This year seems quite different. I sail out of Vancouver so am not up on the Seattle cruises, but I haven't seen much as low as you mention except a Vanc to Seward or reverse which were 398 + taxes CND.

Generally September cruises don't show real bargains. Bookings seem very strong this season. Having cruised Alaska twice a season for many years, I find the pricing really high and it is not just because of the CND exchange.

Hope you can figure something out to your liking: this year is a pain for Alaska!

While Sept is a good time for reduced fare cruises to Alaska, I suspect that the really low prices you hear about go to people who live near the port(s). HAL knows that last minute air is expensive and that most people will not do that just to get a lower cruise fare (defeats the purpose).

On our Alaska cruises we often hear stories about how great a deal some one got, and it seems like every time these people are from the Pacific NW (Canada and US).[/quote

Dave

Vancouver is our home port and we get the HAL website pricing, which I assume is the same for all.

Once in a while there are selloffs for cruises departing Vancouver given to local TAs who often package them with air and hotel. The ones right now are OK, better than the HAL price but still high.

Thank you both!! I just spoke with my HAL agent and she stated that the Mariner price of 799 does not include the free grats and beverage cards! It is just the fare with no extras. The price for the anniv promo is 1019pp!! That's a bit crazy.

I don't expect 399 (though it would be lovely!) but 599 would be a decent "deal" for us. We live in Boston but already have our flights booked for those dates so last min cruise fare would not equal last min airfare for us.

I'm so confused. Have any of you experienced a September Alaska cruise selling out completely more than a month in advance? I ask because the "last min" fares for end of June on this same trip are down to 599 inside 649 ocean view. That's a price I would be okay with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so confused. Have any of you experienced a September Alaska cruise selling out completely more than a month in advance?

That happened to us a couple of years ago. I was hoping for a bargain-basement fare, it never materialized, and the cruise was sold out.

Thank you both!! I just spoke with my HAL agent and she stated that the Mariner price of 799 does not include the free grats and beverage cards! It is just the fare with no extras. The price for the anniv promo is 1019pp!! That's a bit crazy.

I don't expect 399 (though it would be lovely!) but 599 would be a decent "deal" for us. We live in Boston but already have our flights booked for those dates so last min cruise fare would not equal last min airfare for us.

I'm so confused. Have any of you experienced a September Alaska cruise selling out completely more than a month in advance? I ask because the "last min" fares for end of June on this same trip are down to 599 inside 649 ocean view. That's a price I would be okay with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

$1019 - 799 = 220 pp. Hmm. $440 more for 2 for 175 in tips and 100 Bev card. Not a good deal.....

Maybe 5 or 6 years ago you could get a decent price in September. Now, I would be surprised. Out of Vancouver in the past few years, no, or we would have been sailing then!

I hope someone comes by with some info specific to Seattle.

From what I see, you are a little too early for the good discounts for Sept. sailings.

Currently I see a $599. 7 day, rt Seattle, Ruby Princess for June 18. Inside only...all other cats. sold out.

Our first cruise, in 2003, was September R/T Vancouver to Alaska. Booked 3 weeks out. Not sure we got a great price as we booked locally and didn't know any better about pricing, so not very savvy. I prefer the trips out of Vancouver and there are some options there that you could work with the air you have booked now, but that may not be what you want.

I see Westerdam 9/10 Seattle departure advertised on the websites for big TAs around $800pp INside, probably a guarantee. Check around the web for some other offers. I know $800 isn't $500 but it's closer :) These prices would not have the Anniversary Sale perks, but be careful about those, some of them cost more than without (as for my most recent booking).

I'd also not snub my nose at NCL; we did a recent transatlantic on NCL Jade and had a lovely time, but if you really want Glacier Bay, hang in there!! m--

From what I see, you are a little too early for the good discounts for Sept. sailings.

Currently I see a $599. 7 day, rt Seattle, Ruby Princess for June 18. Inside only...all other cats. sold out.

This is what I'm hoping! The Westerdam is that price for June 25th sailing. We are fine with inside staterooms [in fact DH prefers then as he says he sleeps better] but of course would take the high category if price is similar..

Our first cruise, in 2003, was September R/T Vancouver to Alaska. Booked 3 weeks out. Not sure we got a great price as we booked locally and didn't know any better about pricing, so not very savvy. I prefer the trips out of Vancouver and there are some options there that you could work with the air you have booked now, but that may not be what you want.

I see Westerdam 9/10 Seattle departure advertised on the websites for big TAs around $800pp INside, probably a guarantee. Check around the web for some other offers. I know $800 isn't $500 but it's closer :) These prices would not have the Anniversary Sale perks, but be careful about those, some of them cost more than without (as for my most recent booking).

I'd also not snub my nose at NCL; we did a recent transatlantic on NCL Jade and had a lovely time, but if you really want Glacier Bay, hang in there!! m--

$799 is the Mariner rate for Sept 10th sailing; we can get that through HAL directly as well; just no benefits/extras. The $1019 "anniversary sale" price is ridiculous as the cost of the benefits does not even come close to equaling the price increase.

We've sailed with NCL before and had a wonderful time. However, I prefer the general atmosphere and service on HAL and MUCH prefer the food on any line compared to NCL. Also, NCL really nickles & dimes everything now..room service, specialty restaurants almost all moving to a la carte, etc. We would sail them if Westerdam sold out and it was the only option but they are not our preference. **And of course Glacier Bay is also a priority**

Thanks for the good luck wishes though! :-)

Edited by Bostonjetset

In general, you are too early for a great price on a September cruise. What everyone else is saying is true, you have to determine your degree of comfort with waiting.

Last year we booked the 14 night r/t Seattle cruise on July 13 for an August 24 departure. $899 plus taxes.

"Final Payment" for the Sept 10 cruise is not due until about June 26. Better rates, assuming they will come, won't show up until July.

The Princess cruise that shows mostly 'sold out' may have some groups on board. Not sure there is a similar Princess thread where anyone keeps tracks of groups. Speaking of groups, check to make sure there are no large groups on the Sept 10 Westerdam as a large group could affect pricing.

Good luck!

In general, you are too early for a great price on a September cruise. What everyone else is saying is true, you have to determine your degree of comfort with waiting.

Last year we booked the 14 night r/t Seattle cruise on July 13 for an August 24 departure. $899 plus taxes.

"Final Payment" for the Sept 10 cruise is not due until about June 26. Better rates, assuming they will come, won't show up until July.

The Princess cruise that shows mostly 'sold out' may have some groups on board. Not sure there is a similar Princess thread where anyone keeps tracks of groups. Speaking of groups, check to make sure there are no large groups on the Sept 10 Westerdam as a large group could affect pricing.

Good luck!

Wow you got a steal on your 14 night!! :D

Again, I don't expect that much of a deal but I would bite for about 599pp for inside. I think we will wait until at least after final payment. I've not seen any of the HAL sailings sell out for Alaska yet this year until literally right before sailing [i'm talking days]. I know there are "Inspirations" groups on several HAL sailings to Alaska this year but I double checked their site and Sept 10 is not one of them.

Thanks for the luck. I will keep checking.

In thirty five cruises we only scored one really super deal. That was our first Christmas cruise on the beautiful and elegant Maasdam. I was sitting home web surfing and saw the deal, and booked it on the spur of the moment two weeks before embarkation. It was our least expensive eleven day cruise, and it stands out as one of the most enjoyable and most memorable.

But we still shop for bargains. There does seem to be a sweet spot that shows up sometimes around final payment date, maybe 75 or 76 days prior to sailing. It is not something one can depend upon. Market forces are always in play, and we have seen prices increase too.

The really good deals can be had if you don't care where you are going and don't care when. We are signed up for the last minute deal emails from both Holland America and Princess.

Bon Voyage

I had posted this as a reply to an old thread for a year ago and I think some may not have realized it was a current question and thus I wanted to ask it in my own thread.

My situation is:

DH and I plan to go to Alaska on the Westerdam this Sept 10. We already have our flights booked so that we arrive in SEA on the 9th and leave on the 18th. We have never been to Seattle and thus wanted to spend a day there on each end of the trip. We purposely booked our flights back in March so that we would not have to worry about last minute air tickets [esp since we used FF miles] with the intention of snagging a last-min cruise deal. We always see how much prices drop at the last min [our last Europe cruise dropped almost $500pp 3 weeks before sailing!] and thought Sept 10th would be a good date to "risk it" since there are 3 ships sailing from Seattle that day [Westerdam, Crown Princess, and an NCL ship]. We figured we would be able to snag a deal on at least one but NCL is not preferable as HAL and Princess are better lines IMO and have Glacier Bay rather than Tracy Arm. Well, Princess is already sold out for the Sept 10th sailing!! I always knew it was possible but in all my cruises, I've never seen one sell out months before sailing. That leaves Westerdam and NCL and of course we want Westerdam.

does anyone see a truly good reason to wait?

I wouldn't. The current price is satisfactory to you and you already have the plane tickets. One of your first choices ships is already sold out. What's your backup plan if all the cabins in your price range sell out while you're waiting for a better deal?

For greater flexibility have you considered taking a cruise that departs one day later? You said you have scheduled one day before and one day after the cruise in Seattle. You could see Seattle for 2 days before then get on the cruise and depart to the airport from the ship. That is, if your flight isn't too early.

If you are serious about waiting it out for a potential last minute bargain, you should have a backup plan to do a week of land based sightseeing in the Seattle/Greater Puget Sound area. I would certainly not be unhappy doing that if my ship didn't come in (so to speak).

In thirty five cruises we only scored one really super deal. That was our first Christmas cruise on the beautiful and elegant Maasdam. I was sitting home web surfing and saw the deal, and booked it on the spur of the moment two weeks before embarkation. It was our least expensive eleven day cruise, and it stands out as one of the most enjoyable and most memorable.

But we still shop for bargains. There does seem to be a sweet spot that shows up sometimes around final payment date, maybe 75 or 76 days prior to sailing. It is not something one can depend upon. Market forces are always in play, and we have seen prices increase too.

The really good deals can be had if you don't care where you are going and don't care when. We are signed up for the last minute deal emails from both Holland America and Princess.

Bon Voyage

Thanks for the tips. I will check around the end of this month which is around the final payment date.

I wish Maasdam was doing Alaska still. I sailed her sister ship Veendam and I love the size of the S-class ships.

I wouldn't. The current price is satisfactory to you and you already have the plane tickets. One of your first choices ships is already sold out. What's your backup plan if all the cabins in your price range sell out while you're waiting for a better deal?

In the unlikely [based on past data and even current Westie sailings] event that the Westerdam sells out completely, we would likely settle for the Norwegian Jewel. If that also sells out, the Nieuw Amsterdam sails from Vancouver on the same date so that would be doable flying into Seattle [not ideal but would work in a pinch]. I suppose plan D would be to do a land based trip in the Pacific NW as we've never been to the region.

@SilvertoGold: Thanks for the suggestion. It makes me feel a bit better that you think waiting may be okay even if a lot of others don't.

For greater flexibility have you considered taking a cruise that departs one day later? You said you have scheduled one day before and one day after the cruise in Seattle. You could see Seattle for 2 days before then get on the cruise and depart to the airport from the ship. That is, if your flight isn't too early.

I thought about this option but our return flight is Sunday the 18th at 7am so it wouldn't work :(

The Amsterdam does the trip on the following day also, which would be lovely since I've wanted to sail on her. We are flying in 1st class so MAY be able to change our flights but the kicker is that we used FF miles so not sure if it would be allowed. I could always check with AA if push came to shove at the last min.

If you are serious about waiting it out for a potential last minute bargain, you should have a backup plan to do a week of land based sightseeing in the Seattle/Greater Puget Sound area. I would certainly not be unhappy doing that if my ship didn't come in (so to speak).

I stated our Plan B, Plan C and Plan D in the previous post and you nailed it with a land based trip if worst came to worst. I'd much prefer a cruise since I'm dying to see Alaska but Pacific NW by land could by lovely as well.

Edited by Bostonjetset

We often look for a last minute cruise as part of a land vacation. If we don't bag one we simply continue on with our land based plans. Doing exactly this in the Med this Sept/Oct. this approached has worked out well for us in the past. And it has been fun changing things around, doing the unexpected.

We often look for a last minute cruise as part of a land vacation. If we don't bag one we simply continue on with our land based plans. Doing exactly this in the Med this Sept/Oct. this approached has worked out well for us in the past. And it has been fun changing things around, doing the unexpected.

Glad to know it usually works out for you! I hope it works out for us in Sept also haha.

Although, if this was in the Med I would be almost equally as happy on a land-based trip. You can't really beat Europe for a great time. Seattle seems nice but not sure it would be as exciting for 9 days as the Med would be! haha

Just wanted to let you know that NCL does do Glacier Bay. We are booked for the week before you are looking on the Pearl out of Seattle and we are sailing there. We booked back in March and got a great deal, paid $699 each but then got our 2 kids for free and the drink package included. But our particular cruise got really expensive recently.

@SilvertoGold: Thanks for the suggestion. It makes me feel a bit better that you think waiting may be okay even if a lot of others don't.

You have back up plans (my choice is the N. Amsterdam), so you will be fine.

You will have to keep on top of this once final payment nears and after, though. I am sure you are sufficiently motivated!

You must come back and tell us what happens!

Just wanted to let you know that NCL does do Glacier Bay. We are booked for the week before you are looking on the Pearl out of Seattle and we are sailing there. We booked back in March and got a great deal, paid $699 each but then got our 2 kids for free and the drink package included. But our particular cruise got really expensive recently.

Yes I have seen a few NCL trips with Glacier Bay. However, the Jewel on Sept 10th has Sawyer Glacier instead.

Have a great trip! $699 is a good price esp incl the drinks package.

You have back up plans (my choice is the N. Amsterdam), so you will be fine.

You will have to keep on top of this once final payment nears and after, though. I am sure you are sufficiently motivated!

You must come back and tell us what happens!

Thanks! I will be sure to.

We ended up booking a last minute northbound cruise this June (June 19 Zaandam) about 5 weeks before departure and got a pretty good deal. The price was $469 for an inside K cabin and our two kids are just $99 each. We also got a little bit of onboard credit.

If you plan to be wait, it is a good plan to have backups plans (different cruise etc) as you already discussed. .

We had originally booked the Star Princess for June 18 and cancelled right before final payment due to a layoff. I kept watching cruise prices for our original cruise and for Zaandam the next day. One day I got an email for "private sale" on Alaska cruises from HAL. I clicked the link and could see prices as low as $399 for the Zaandam sailing but when I logged on the website, it wasn't available. So I figured it must be for someone who had cruised with HAL before. The next day I got a call from a cruise consultant and the price she quoted was the flash sale from the website. I was surprised that we could get the pricing and booked right away. With the special kids fares, we are paying an average of $284 per person + taxes and fees (which are almost as much as the cruise fare).