Grand Voyage 115 nighter

ScottC4746

I did not know they offered that.

The unlimited laundry package would cost you thousands less than the Neptune suite on a Grand World Voyage, if the only reason you would book that was for the free laundry. It is offered on every cruise. The price depends on the length of the cruise.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

The unlimited laundry package would cost you thousands less than the Neptune suite on a Grand World Voyage, if the only reason you would book that was for the free laundry. It is offered on every cruise. The price depends on the length of the cruise.

Terri

Plus the extra space. Could not imagine doing an inside or the lowest level outside stateroom.

Plus the extra space. Could not imagine doing an inside or the lowest level outside stateroom.

Many do. The idea is not to spend much time in the cabin. You have a whole world to see.

I have never taken a world cruise so I cannot comment. I will say this. I do need space and probably would not go lower than a verandah cabin for a world cruise.

I would suggest you read some of the blogs. It appears that two of the bloggers here on CC get by with an OV or a verandah.

Look for John and Diane and Bill and Maryann to get a good idea of what a world cruise would be like. Neither of them book suites if I am correct.

Terri

One observation that I have had while on the longer Grand Cruises is that the folks on board become more like a family and less like strangers. You are on board with them for a long time. As such, reading in one of the lounges or laying out on deck I do not feel as "exposed" as I do on a short cruise. The whole ship starts to feel like home.

On shorter cruises I love a private verandah - on a Grand Cruise I do not feel the need as much because I do not feel that the public spaces are as impersonal, I do not feel like I am surrounded by strangers. Both the passengers and crew are friends.

Also worth noting is that on the Amsterdam there is actually more storage space (in my opinion) in an outside cabin than in a Vista Suite (we have traveled in both) - just avoid cabins with adjoining doors to other cabins and the promenade deck where the cabins are smaller. There is also not that much difference between the bathrooms in an outside cabin and a Vista suite on the Amsterdam. The Vistas have a jetted tub or a large shower but they do not have double sinks. To me, the extra tariff for a Vista Suite for a lengthy cruise on the Amsterdam is not worth it - unless, of course it is a gift from the upgrade fairy or a reasonably priced upsell.

Or buy the unlimited laundry package that would be less expensive than the suite than includes the free laundry.

Terri

Agree. I don't understand the dwelling on the free laundry. The cost of a Neptune Suite (which would include free laundry) is incredibly higher. It would cost far less to pay for unlimited laundry. Also, in 15 years, OP could become a 4-star mariner w/ free laundry.

Many do. The idea is not to spend much time in the cabin. You have a whole world to see.

I have never taken a world cruise so I cannot comment. I will say this. I do need space and probably would not go lower than a verandah cabin for a world cruise.

I would suggest you read some of the blogs. It appears that two of the bloggers here on CC get by with an OV or a verandah.

Look for John and Diane and Bill and Maryann to get a good idea of what a world cruise would be like. Neither of them book suites if I am correct.

Terri

Question: Could you travel in a verandah cabin the size of the cabin on the Vista Class ships on a WC? They are smaller than than the R or S class verandahs. I was looking wistfully at a WC on the QE, but those balcony cabins are no larger than the Vista Class, and I think they are small. Don't know if I want to be 115 days in one.

A comment about stateroom space based upon my experience:

If one is a solo, and having booked an outside stateroom, having the bed split provides extra floor space plus space on the unused bed to put "stuff". There is plenty of closest and drawer capacity for a solo cruiser.

I have visited friends who had an outside on Lower Promenade Deck as well as a Vista Suite. My lowest passenger deck outside stateroom had more useful space than either of those staterooms did.

Question: Could you travel in a verandah cabin the size of the cabin on the Vista Class ships on a WC? They are smaller than than the R or S class verandahs. I was looking wistfully at a WC on the QE, but those balcony cabins are no larger than the Vista Class, and I think they are small. Don't know if I want to be 115 days in one.

If you are asking me that question, you are asking the wrong person. I have never taken a world cruise and the way things look for us right now, I don't think that will ever happen. We have too many family responsibilities to be away from home that long. Would I like to do it? In a heartbeat!

We have sailed in a Verandah cabin for a short cruise and it was ok. Mostly, if we are on a Vista or Signature class we go for a SS or Neptune, if we want to splurge and the price is right. Could we do a verandah for 115 days? I'm not sure, but if as ARZZ says, you don't spend much time in your cabin and lots of time in the public spaces and it becomes like a family, I suppose so.

I recently took an 11-day cruise alone and was in a Verandah cabin on the Noordam. It was plenty of space for me alone.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Terri

It is all personal preferences. There are several (at least 10) people that I personally know in the President Club's (>1400 actual sea days) who book inside cabins when they cruise. I book at the lowest level, ocean view with a bit less ship movement as prone to seasickness. Jeff also does an outstanding photo blog. His last was the 2015 WC - amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com - but he claims this was his last year for blogging.

It interesting to read different people's perceptions, likes and dislikes on this thread. I guess that's why cruising works as some want/need the larger more expensive cabins while some, including yours truly, are fine with smaller or inside cabins. Maybe that will change for us as we take our first WC in 2017.

OP: congrats on dreaming and planning for your retirement so early. Yes, 15 years is a long time and changes will happen, but because you are thinking about it now you get a better idea of what works for you and it is easy to adjust your dreams as the world changes.

We started dreaming of and planning for retirement with the first day of work after college graduation. Because of that we retired at 40....a time when many haven't started thinking about retiring. It all comes down to what is important to you. Retiring early and traveling was our life goal and making those plans early helped us to make the correct decisions to achieve our goals. So dream on and keep planning!

We are thinking of for retirement doing the HAL Grand Voyage 115 nighter. Any comments or suggestions. We would splurge for Vista Suite mainly for space and complimentary laundry and dry cleaning. We are looking at least 15 years from now.

Ignoring the issue of space, what would the cost of paying for laundry be as compared to the increased cost of the cabin? I would bet that you come out behind with the bigger cabin.

DON

Ignoring the issue of space, what would the cost of paying for laundry be as compared to the increased cost of the cabin? I would bet that you come out behind with the bigger cabin.

DON

By at least 20 grand, if the present prices are any indication. Verandah v. Neptune Suite.

I have done a number of 30+ day cruises (several over 70 days) using inside cabins, OV cabins and veranda cabins - enjoyed them ALL! Would cruise in any of those again if appropriate. When younger and trying to accumulate money for retirement, the insides worked just fine. Now retired and growing older, the restraint used in earlier cruising is one of the factors in my still being able to cruise (and land travel).

As I age and the stock market is nice to us, I am more inclined to go for at least an OV and a few times verandas. Now my choice factors are primarily itinerary and weather related. My next cruise (50+ days) is primarily to warmer climates so a veranda it is.

For me - with an inside or OV I spend a lot more sea time out of my cabin whether I am involved in shipboard activities or just reading on deck or in a lounge. With a veranda, I spend much more time in the cabin (or on the veranda really), but I still get to stuff on the ship as I an actually a very social person who also values some "own" time.