Harmony of the Seas vs Disney Dream

RT10

I would agree but harmony is not holiday inn so that doesn't really make

Sense. If she asked about the oldest ship in RCCL's

Fleet maybe that would be different but this is the newest oasis class ship and the first to have water slides

I hear

I agree!

More like comparing a Hilton to a Raddison or Crowne Plaza.

The comparison is not there and especially when the hotel moves so you will not want to be aboard or onsite all of the time.

ex techie

In general, add ons on RCCL are slightly higher than their Disney counterparts which makes sense given the base price differential (one exception may be the new Candy bar on Disney which seems exceptionally pricey).

It's still comparing apples and oranges in some ways. RCCL ships are designed for multi-generational families with teens, Disney is targeted to the younger age group. They have different styles of food service, different design aesthetics, different build budgets.

When you cruise on Disney, you are paying for the Disney brand. There are other lines that can match or exceed them in certain areas, so it depends on your priorities and are you willing to spend the premium!

Yes, Disney is amazing in so many ways. Yes is it more then NCL and less often more then RCCL>

Actually Disney Magic and Pixie Dust is the whole product, the superior designed, and built vessels with the classic lines and feel, the art deco and Nuevo deco feel and just enough Disney touches to bring a smile to peoples faces.

A ship crew that is excellent and the best trained and I know that for a fact, because I know all the special training they get on American Maritime schools. Add to that how they have rescued many at sea, including being able to get the rescue boat in the water and save a person who fell off another cruise ship when the other cruise ship could not even get their boat in the water.

Their own special designed terminal and Bus service where the magic begins with videos on what's coming and Disney cartoons.

The excellent service,, yes other lines may have great service, but twisting that into saying its Disney Pixie Dust, doesn't work, Add great food and good family entertainment. The DISNEY characters that bring joy to the kids, young and old. Mickey and Minnie. Things like Animators Pallet MDR, food and mixers events and that is just starters.

One of my thing was we were taken the design of the Magic tour, (which by itself is a great tour) when Belle came around the corner and a young girl on the tour with her MOM, just cried out in joy. Belle spun around, flopped down onto the deck, lifted the girl into lap and calmed her down. She finally told the child that if she was at a door down the passageway at 1830, she could walk with Belle to a greeting session. Mom nodded ok, Belle got up waved good bye and I would bet a week pay that child was at the door at 1830 and had a memory that would last a lifetime.

However the bottom line is the Disney cruises are special with real Disney Magic and Pixie dust only found on their ships.

AKK

I think Tonka's Skipper (whom I do NOT always agree with) has hit the nail on the head. There are aspects of the Disney cruise experience which may not matter to many cruisers, but do matter to a discerning clientele. They are a myriad of little touches, in both the hard product and the guest service, that add up to an exceptional experience.

If you don't care about every little detail, then a RCCL may very well be a smarter (and financially advantageous) decision. I've admitted the analogy is not perfect, but if I compare a Disney cruise to a Ritz-Carlton hotel, there are lots and lots of people out there who would not enjoy or appreciate the Ritz-Carlton stay, and who would say it is overpriced, a poor value, and not worth the premium over myriad other hotels that can be had for much less. But clearly there are enough people who *do* value the experience to keep those hotels (or ships) full. The Holiday Inns of the world are also doing a brisk enough business to stay in business, so no one is to say which is the right choice for YOU.

I have teenage sons (17 & 18) who LOVE Disney cruises more than any other vacation. I just want to dispel the myth that it is only for little kids. My sons spent a lot of time in Disney parks when they were younger, but are kind of past that right now. It's been a verrrry long time since they got excited about seeing Mickey Mouse. BUT... They do still love DCL- it is their favorite by FAR. They always have a great time when we go and they beg to go back.

This summer they will be on RCCL Anthem and it was me who was begging them to go. Not because I don't love Disney, too, but because I think it's good to try different things (and I think Anthem offers a lot, including we can drive to the ship from home [emoji4]). We are also booked on Harmony (in 2018!) for the same reason. DCL is my favorite and we will be back on Fantasy in 2017, too.

I think you should try DCL- book Harmony for the next one. It sounds like you would like to try something new, and I can't believe DCL would disappoint. Good luck with your decision, I hope you have many fun cruises in your future!

I think Tonka's Skipper (whom I do NOT always agree with) has hit the nail on the head. There are aspects of the Disney cruise experience which may not matter to many cruisers, but do matter to a discerning clientele. They are a myriad of little touches, in both the hard product and the guest service, that add up to an exceptional experience.

If you don't care about every little detail, then a RCCL may very well be a smarter (and financially advantageous) decision. I've admitted the analogy is not perfect, but if I compare a Disney cruise to a Ritz-Carlton hotel, there are lots and lots of people out there who would not enjoy or appreciate the Ritz-Carlton stay, and who would say it is overpriced, a poor value, and not worth the premium over myriad other hotels that can be had for much less. But clearly there are enough people who *do* value the experience to keep those hotels (or ships) full. The Holiday Inns of the world are also doing a brisk enough business to stay in business, so no one is to say which is the right choice for YOU.

Once again so confused as to why Harmony would be compared to a Holiday Inn? I've been on Disney Dream and I've been on Allure of the seas. I did notice aspects of Disney that are more

Premium (seafood at the lunch buffet-wow!) Cabins are larger and so well thought out.. But I would prefer the 7 nights on a brand new ship than shorter cruise and Allure had top notch entertainment etc. Now I was once on NCL Sky and that would qualify for the Holiday Inn comparison..

I did think service stands out on Disney but we had wonderful wait staff on Allure and ziplining and a water show and ice skating so both excellent again I would go for 7 night.

• 1 month later...

First - Disney is not the "Ritz-Carlton" of cruise lines. Disney Cruise Line may be priced like a luxury cruise line, but it is not one. Second - I'd hardly call a gaggle of kids onboard DCL "discerning clientele" - but Disney certainly has many kid-pleasing features. I like Disney cruises - occasionally. I'd like them even better without the kids! :D

Of the 4 lines I've cruised recently, I'd have to say that DCL is the "overall" best. Other lines have categories (like food) that are better. But if I had to review the overall product, I'd give a slight nod to DCL.

Now, factor in that DCL is often twice the price and has very limited itineraries, and you can see why we have sometimes chosen to cruise other lines.

To OP, another consideration might be how easy it is to get from FLL to Port Everglades as compared to MCO/Port Canaveral. Yes, there are easy ways to get to Port Canaveral, but it is a 45 minute drive and there is a significant cost. FLL to Port Everglades is about 10 minutes and $10 for a cab!

Hello all,

My wife and three kids (ages 13,12 & 9) are planning on taking a cruise sometime next year. We are currently debating between a 4 night Disney Dream Bahamas cruise OR a 7 night Caribbean Harmony of the Seas cruise. What are your thoughts?

I would choose Disney over RCL in a heartbeat, but would choose 7 days over 4 so wow what a choice you have.

Hi

I can't "speak" for children area on RC but went to ask about it on harmony

Unfortunately it was not up and running when we went on the three nighter

I saw one of the rooms and it looks lovely

Comfy seats etched, x box etc

Cinema area

The lady I spoke to said on sea day they do something all day except 5 to 7

The room service "complimentary" is practically nothing now on RC but tbh we are too full anyway ... I can take a photo and put on here if want

Personally I loved harmony (forgetting issues because new)

The windjammer is smaller than anthem but I think it is because they have put food in more restaurants as in solarium for breakfast and lunch. Soup/sandwiches /salads in Central Park

I found the food better on harmony

Yes you can pay to upgrade meals but loads if dont want to

"Extra" for soda ..... Tbh lots of free water with flavouring, juice etc available ....

I am thinking of harmony opinion carribean next dec ....trying to decide RC or disney only because I want to try fantasy and a merry time cruise else I think it would be RC

Dream work characters on harmony .... Fiona was brilliant

Staff very friendly except one who spoilt it for the rest

I think if main concern is 4 or 7 then go for 7 ..... Let us know what you decide

i'm deleting my original answer and changing it to the disney dream...

however, if you've only been on longer cruises, you might be disappointed by the short 4 night cruise..

but the 4 nights on the dream isn't bad....

and castaway cay is a lot of fun...

i don't know...

it's kind of a toss up...

we LOVED our allure cruise...and of course we also love disney...

and i did very much enjoy the disney dream....

the problem is, comparing 7 nights to 4 nights is really sort of comparing apples and elephants...

how about going on a 7 night on the disney fantasy?

Edited by alaska_planner

First - Disney is not the "Ritz-Carlton" of cruise lines. Disney Cruise Line may be priced like a luxury cruise line, but it is not one. Second - I'd hardly call a gaggle of kids onboard DCL "discerning clientele" - but Disney certainly has many kid-pleasing features. I like Disney cruises - occasionally. I'd like them even better without the kids! :D

Thank you for saying it! I was laughing when I read the comment that DCL is the "Ritz Carlton" of cruise lines. Obviously that person has never been on a real luxury line like Seabourn. Disney is priced like one but they are not even close. The only time a Disney ship is even in the ball park of a luxury line is on the DVC Member cruises. We have been on several and the dinner food is brought in special for those cruises. Not the same mass production low quality food that they serve on the regular cruises. And because there are usually only 200 children or less on a Member Cruise the ships amenities are a pleasant experience. Disney charges more because people will pay it just to have the interaction time with the Disney characters which is a real benefit if you are a fan. You will not get that kind of character interaction anywhere else in the Disney system.

I was laughing when I read the comment that DCL is the "Ritz Carlton" of cruise lines. Obviously that person has never been on a real luxury line like Seabourn. Disney is priced like one but they are not even close.

Well, then I guess I'll laugh right back at you. You've had one cruise on Seabourn, I've had one on Regent, so I think our so-called luxury cruise experience is equivalent. If you had bothered to read my full post, I admitted that the analogy was not perfect and merely said that Disney cares about details that some less discerning guests may not care about or be willing to pay for. Some people will stay at a Ritz-Carlton and find it a waste of money compared to a Fairfield Inn--both provide safe, clean overnight lodging. If you don't care about the details that separate the two, it's not worth paying for them. That was my point about Disney.

I've never sailed RCCL, and probably won't because the way they market themselves doesn't appeal to me, so take my opinion with that bias in mind.

A few previous posters have said "7 nights beats 4". Yes, if the experience is identical or similar enough not to matter. But I'd rather spend 4 nights with my family at a Ritz-Carlton than 7 nights at a Holiday Inn. I'm not saying those are fair comparisons for the two ships, but just trying to say that the math isn't as simple as 7>4.

How can you compare the two if you haven't been on Royal? And to call it the Holiday Inn?? Disney the Ritz? Royal is far from the Holiday Inn!!!

To the OP....I would choose the 7 day. Been on both Disney and many on Royal. On that class of Royal, there's so much to do for kids that age and any age. No one will be bored. I would personally never cruise less than a week. By the time you unpack and get to know the ship, you have to go home if it's only a 4 day.

Since the Harmony is newer, you could probably go on the Oasis or Allure for much less money. I think the main difference is just the slide. With the other two, you'll have the aqua theatre and also shows movies.

I know with Fort Lauderdale, the port is so close. The hotel picks us up at the airport at no charge. Very little in cost to the taxi returning to the airport after the cruise.

Someone mentioned Princess, but I've been on her. Beautiful ships, but too old of a crowd and not as much to do for the kids.

For me, it's a no brainer. But it's what's important to you. You won't be disappointed with Royal, and you get three extra days! :D

Yes, all of our children still love Disney. We are torn between either the biggest cruise ship in the word and the "amazing Disney cruise line." The prices surprisingly were comparable ($5,300 for Disney, $5,200 for RCI), but the length of the Disney cruise still is a problem. 4 nights is way too short, but might be better just to sample the line and see if we like it enough to keep on sailing with them.

We're Platinum on Disney and Diamond+ on Royal, and two observations on Disney and two observations on Harmony:

Disney:

1) Disney stopped being amazing when they added Dream and Fantasy. Prior to doubling the size of their fleet, no one even came close to what Disney delivered. Lately, the bloom is no longer on the rose (unless you're a first-timer). We've watched the quality of the brand steadily decline over the past 3-4 years.

2) We still slot in a Disney cruise when the price is right (but that's getting tougher to do anymore)

Harmony:

1) She's different than either of her sister ships. The addition of the water slides adds a real draw for teens so your kids would have a blast. There are a ton of activities for teen/pre-tees that simply do not exist on any other ships

2) Despite what some people say, she's surprisingly not crowded. There are so many public area on the ship that the pax really seem to dissipate to different areas.

Overall, if you look at the cost/person/day, Harmony is a substantial savings over Disney (Disney is almost double the cost/day on Harmony), and seven days on a cruise beats four days on a cruise any time :)

We're Platinum on Disney and Diamond+ on Royal, and two observations on Disney and two observations on Harmony:

Disney:

1) Disney stopped being amazing when they added Dream and Fantasy. Prior to doubling the size of their fleet, no one even came close to what Disney delivered. Lately, the bloom is no longer on the rose (unless you're a first-timer). We've watched the quality of the brand steadily decline over the past 3-4 years.

2) We still slot in a Disney cruise when the price is right (but that's getting tougher to do anymore)

Harmony:

1) She's different than either of her sister ships. The addition of the water slides adds a real draw for teens so your kids would have a blast. There are a ton of activities for teen/pre-tees that simply do not exist on any other ships

2) Despite what some people say, she's surprisingly not crowded. There are so many public area on the ship that the pax really seem to dissipate to different areas.

Overall, if you look at the cost/person/day, Harmony is a substantial savings over Disney (Disney is almost double the cost/day on Harmony), and seven days on a cruise beats four days on a cruise any time :)

My hubby face timed his friend when in Central Park on the harmony .... His friend thought everyone had jumped ship :D

Disney:

Harmony:

I so agree with the amount of people on the ship and doesn't feel like it! Of all our cruises, it felt the least crowded. So many places to go and spread out.

I so agree with the amount of people on the ship and doesn't feel like it! Of all our cruises, it felt the least crowded. So many places to go and spread out.

Agree! PS... Montana native here Big Sky.

Yes' date=' there are LOTS of extra charges on Royal, and most of those are higher than similar charges on DCL.

[/quote']

This is flat out not true. It is a myth perpetuated by Disney zealots to dissuade anyone from considering the competition.

This is flat out not true. It is a myth perpetuated by Disney zealots to dissuade anyone from considering the competition.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to start calling people you disagree with and probably disagree with you zealots.

We discussed this on May 1st, and you provided some questionable pricing for RCI up charges, some from DCL and you never did reply to my post #17 & #18 where I did provide comparisons of prices?

ex techie

Some of the prices you quoted for DCL upcharges are flat out wrong, and others pointed out those errors. Prior to the opening of Vanillope's on the Dream, DCL had no food outlets that marketed to children for an upcharge. I think opening Vanillope's was a mistake on DCL's part, but at least at this time it is on one ship only.

I seriously object to upcharge items that are geared to kids. I don't want to spend money on upcharges or be the ogre mom--neither of those choices fits my idea of a vacation. I know in advance that I'll be buying a soda package on any line other than DCL--that's a given. I'm not going to start listing ALL the upcharge items on Royal Caribbean--some of them have been addressed in earlier posts. One of my least favorites is Johnny Rocket's. We enjoy the restaurant on land when we are in a city that has one, but it is a way to attract kids who can't eat there without a parent...so we have 2 upcharge meals. And you can add at least one ice cream or shake to that. The alcohol and adult dining charges are higher than on DCL, and there are other upcharge restaurants that are not "adult only."

As to not considering the competition....I've become quite disenchanted with DCL's prices as I've watched the quality of their cruise experience decline. I've been cruising on other lines, and my next 2 booked cruises are on the "competition." I'd love to go back to DCL when they get realistic about their charges and their itineraries. But a DCL cruise at a decent price is a rarity these days.

Some of the prices you quoted for DCL upcharges are flat out wrong' date=' and others pointed out those errors. [b']Prior to the opening of Vanillope's on the Dream, DCL had no food outlets that marketed to children for an upcharge.[/b] I think opening Vanillope's was a mistake on DCL's part, but at least at this time it is on one ship only.

I seriously object to upcharge items that are geared to kids. I don't want to spend money on upcharges or be the ogre mom--neither of those choices fits my idea of a vacation. I know in advance that I'll be buying a soda package on any line other than DCL--that's a given. I'm not going to start listing ALL the upcharge items on Royal Caribbean--some of them have been addressed in earlier posts. One of my least favorites is Johnny Rocket's. We enjoy the restaurant on land when we are in a city that has one, but it is a way to attract kids who can't eat there without a parent...so we have 2 upcharge meals. And you can add at least one ice cream or shake to that. The alcohol and adult dining charges are higher than on DCL, and there are other upcharge restaurants that are not "adult only."

As to not considering the competition....I've become quite disenchanted with DCL's prices as I've watched the quality of their cruise experience decline. I've been cruising on other lines, and my next 2 booked cruises are on the "competition." I'd love to go back to DCL when they get realistic about their charges and their itineraries. But a DCL cruise at a decent price is a rarity these days.

I disagree with the bolded statement above. Outside of the theatres, Disney has always had the concession stands which market to kids - that's why they have the collector cups and popcorn buckets on display right at kid eye level. DCL was marketing upcharge stuff to kids long before Vanellope's. The ice cream shop just solidifies DCL's commitment to moving towards more extra fee areas.