Distance between Ft. Lauderdale, FL and Miami

txjudy54

Yes, anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic. Add in another 30 minutes to deplane and get your checked luggage (if you have any). You probably shouldn't expect to get to the port before 2:30. Cutting it close!

This might sound sarcastic. I don't mean it to. If you google "distance from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to miami, Florida" (or any city), google will tell you both the distance and the amount of time it takes to drive that far. It's very useful for travel arrangements like this.

Sent from my iPad

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale, FL and have transfers to the Port of Miami on Sept. 20th to leave on the Glory. How long will it take us to get to the port? We land in Ft Lauderdale at 1:00 PM. TIA

Did you purchase transfers through Carnival or on your own. For me that would be entirely too close. You have to be on the ship 90 minutes prior to sailing. If your flight is supposed to land at 1pm you have to get to the gate and then get off the plane and then go get your luggage and then find your shuttle. What if there is a flight delay or some other problem?

It is anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour drive to get to Miami depending on traffic.

If I were you I would come on an earlier flight or fly into Ft Lauderdale in the first place.

Yes, anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic. Add in another 30 minutes to deplane and get your checked luggage (if you have any). You probably shouldn't expect to get to the port before 2:30. Cutting it close!

There is absolutely no way to make to from the Fort Lauderdale airport to the Port of Miami in 30 minutes. Forty minutes is the best case scenario.

To the OP, chances are very slim you'll make this cruise if you land in Fort Lauderdale at 1PM and have to be at the ship by 2:30. If you check luggage, you will not have your luggage by 1:30. You'll be fighting after

I'd switch the flight to the day before. September is still our summer and chances are good for an afternoon thunderstorm.

You can call Carnival and they will tell you what is the latest arrival time they would allow for a transfer booking. If your flight isn't delayed you shouldn't have a problem. That's how a lot of people would feel.

A lot of other people suggest arriving the day before. Those people would likely never have to worry about missing the ship and will be at the port early enough to have lunch on board by the time you are landing and already enjoying a second drink by the time you get close to port.

As people said, if your flight is delayed you may have some problems. As suggested an earlier flight might take away some of the urgency to get there on time. However if an earlier flight is delayed significantly you may be in the same boat.

So reality says if you can get an earlier flight, that would be a good idea. If not, think positive and make sure you have insurance that might help you out if you find yourself scrambling to catch up with the ship.

That being said, I usually fly in the same day and have never had a bad experience...yet.

We have once arrived very late, that was when we had a Carnival transfer and we waited forever for the bus, but the Carnival rep. assured us at the airport that they would hold the ship for us and sure enough they did. We were the last to board....fastest embarkation process we ever had and they sounded the muster drill before we even reached the elevators. (That was why I suggested a Carnival transfer...if you were arriving earlier a private company would be cheaper)

Good luck

Have a great cruise

Ft. Lauderdale to Miami is a 40 minute drive in good traffic. A 1pm arrival will be cutting it close on getting to the Port of Miami in time. You are gonna need to give yourself at least 30 minutes in baggage claim to get your luggage. That would probably get you to Port of Miami around 2:30ish. I do hope you have pre-arranged transportation.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If your "transfers" were sold to you by the cruiseline, you will have less to worry about. Many of our cruises over the years left late while waiting for transferred passengers. But.... it will add stress to your day. Hope your first port is reachable.

We booked this cruise thru a TA. We have never done this before and got transfers thru Carnival. Not thrilled with the flight. Leave Dallas at 7:00 AM, stop in Atlanta with an hour delay and then arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 1:00. I think I will call my TA.

My TA is out today and talked to someone else. She said not to worry because Carnival booked the air and they know how long it takes. I am still worried. I will talk to the TA who booked my cruise tomorrow but I am starting to get worried. This will probably be the last time I book thru a TA.

My TA is out today and talked to someone else. She said not to worry because Carnival booked the air and they know how long it takes. I am still worried. I will talk to the TA who booked my cruise tomorrow but I am starting to get worried. This will probably be the last time I book thru a TA.

If your air and transfers are through Carnival, they will hold the ship for you.

I would definitely fire that travel agent.

I'm not sure what happens if you run into weather that would get you in really late.

Your transfers are through Carnival right? If not, book them now.

Also, I'd probably call Carnival direct.

It is probably too late for this cruise but the next time book your own airfare. I wonder if it would be possible to change your flight at this late date? It would be in your best interest to arrive the day before your cruise and overnight in a hotel. An hour layover in Atlanta is barely enough time. Atlanta airport is huge, takes awhile to get from one gate to the next.

Good luck.

Edited by Marie51

Because I booked thru a TA, Carnival will not talk to me. They tell me they can only give me general information and to go thru my TA. Just found out yesterday about our flight. Everything, airfare and transfers are booked thru Carnival. This is my 6th cruise with Carnival and I have always booked thru them.

I An hour layover in Atlanta is barely enough time. Atlanta airport is huge, takes awhile to get from one gate to the next.

Good luck.

Not to add to your stress (but I know it will): if your flight is late into Atlanta you may make the transfer but that doesn't mean your luggage will. We were on a flight this past weekend with a 65 minute layover in O'Hare. The flight arrived 20 minutes late due to weather. We made the connection just fine (literally walked off one plane, down 3 gates, onto the next) but our luggage didn't. It caught up to us 14 hours after we landed.

I was trying to be upbeat yesterday.

As they said...this has all been booked by through Carnival and you paid a premium for that. Don't worry, you will probably be OK.

But, when you speak to your TA tomorrow if they can change you to an earlier flight, or if it was possible for you arrive the day before, insist on it.

Either way you will have a great trip

Don't worry

If our luggage doesn't make it and our ship leaves, we will be without clothes for a week!!! We did buy insurance so I will check it and see if that might be covered.

It should be covered but the problem is you will not have any time to go shopping before your cruise.

Once my luggage did not make it when I flew into Miami. Fortunately I arrived 2 days before my cruise. I checked into the hotel and then went shopping, bought some clothes and other necessities and the travel insurance reimbursed me for all of it.

After 2 days at the hotel my luggage finally got to me the day I was leaving on the cruise...close call.

Anyway I hope it all works out for you and let us know what the TA says.

Edited by Marie51

I talked to my TA and she called Carnival. They gave us an earlier flight out of Dallas to Atlanta with a 2 hour layover instead of 1 hour. Still getting into Miami at 1:00. Changing the layover would give us more time to change planes and if the plane was delayed. Carnival has assured my TA we will make it to the ship on time. Hoping for the best and planning a great cruise!!