Price check

Just carried out a price check on our next two booked cruises, as you do;). Our September cruise has increased by £628 and our February one has increased by £976 this is a total for the two of us on a two week cruise. Can only think this is due to brexit, but I am pleased we booked early:D

We are thinking of trying Thomson for the first time, next year- probably for a Cruise and stay. Are the prices likely to change much(I presumed, possibly wrongly) that as there were quite a lot of dates for the same cruise that the prices would remain relatively static?We are thinking of cruising to the Canary Islands Jan or Feb 2018. Also has anyone booked with another travel agent apart from Thomson?

It used to be that by booking early you received the AI free or reduced but its now included on the new ships. We booked over 12 months ago so I would expect any price increases, if you book now have been included. We like deluxe or above and have our favourite cabins so find it suits us to book asap and I have never known prices to drop significantly. Have used other TAs in the past but not noticed any diff but you can sometimes get a lounge pass, others may have different experiences.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

I've just booked 2 cruises for 2018 last Saturday and the price of a week on Discovery had gone up from deciding to book on the previous Thursday and the price on Dream for a week and gone down by about the same amount - both only by a small amount to be fair. Basic Balcony cabin on Discovery and deluxe outside (or Plus) on Dream

Thanks for your replies.Is it like some other cruise lines where the inside price might drop but the outside and Balcony cabins increase in price?(presumably because there are fewer?)We will probably book an inside,particularly as we will have a week in a hotel after the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Just carried out a price check on our next two booked cruises, as you do;). Our September cruise has increased by £628 and our February one has increased by £976 this is a total for the two of us on a two week cruise. Can only think this is due to brexit, but I am pleased we booked early:D

Customers booking over 12 months ago probably booked before the pound weakened by something around 15%.

However, in the small print it does say "we reserve the right to increase the price of your holiday after you have booked but no later than 30 days before the departure date...."

For those who do not wish to consume £26 worth of alcohol per person in the AI deal there is little choice but to wait until the base price lowers and the AI is paid for. So if someone estimates they consume £100 worth of drink the do not want to pay £26 x7 = £182 for AI. 2 people for 2 weeks this equates to £382. AI is not free it is factored in the base price.

It is always a topic for discussion as to when to book as there are so many variables including price, demand, cabin availability (especially for solo travellers), itinerary, hotel availability for cruise & stay, dates for those working & having other commitments like family, flights from some airports, pets kenneling etc, when competitors holidays become available, deals, adult only or family friendly cruises availability, cash flow, etc etc. I'm sure folk have other criteria

Our policy is to book and not to look at prices afterwards. We were happy to book at that price so why worry. We do tend to book quite early on to get what we want. You never hear from those who wait for price reductions and then miss out as the holiday is fully booked. We do not book until we have researched what we might do at each port of call.

Len & Jane

Great - we like being inside and low down :D

We have just returned from 2 weeks on Discovery 2. We had a basic inside cabin on deck 2 midships - much more spacious than we have had on any other ship, no noise at all, extremely comfortable beds (we had them as singles but the steward offered to make them into a double), powerful shower with constant hot water and close to lifts. If you decide to book either of the Discoveries we can highly recommend cabin number 2053 - we will certainly book it again.

We booked 6 months in advance and the price was virtually the same when we looked the week before we sailed.

LOL! thought that number rang a bell - when it was Legend of the Seas

we had 2035 for a HK to OZ trip and it was good too. Cabin numbers are the same now they are Thomsons. We are going on D2 TA in november- I wont pay to have a particular cabin, so other than it being on deck2or 3 we probably wont know until we get to the airport(yn)

It used to be that by booking early you received the AI free or reduced but its now included on the new ships

Thomsons don't do free - in the old system AI was included in the upfront costings, it was just described as "free" to attract early bookings, then the offer ended and the price dropped and AI was an optional extra.

Swings and roundabouts.